cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

ericandsylvie
I Plan to Stick Around

First post at this forum.

My 8300HD (or rather, Roger's 8300HD) has recently started doing something it never did before.  The hard drive will start spinning up and shutting down every five or ten minutes.  This happens when the unit is not in use (no one watching tv).  If I sit in my living room I can hear the drive turning on and off constantly.  As I said, it never happened before, and nothing has changed (except the Roger's menus) with the setup.  So far it does not seem to be affecting its use - it is working fine - but the noise is getting irritating.  I have been given the 'ok' to switch the box at a roger's store, but I don't want to bother if it isn't going to fix the problem.  Does this issue sound familiar to anyone?  Is it a sign that the hard drive is going?

thanks for reading,

***Edited labels***

169 REPLIES 169

Re: HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

Jason2011
I Plan to Stick Around

Actually, this message is specifically directed at the message from RogersErin..

First, the problem with the hard disks constantly spinning up and down affects BOTH the 8300 series PVRs, AND the newer 8642 boxes.  I had a rental 8300 box before the firmware upgrade was done, and afterwards, the problem started.  When I first reported the problems to Rogers, the technician suggested that I return the box and get the newer 8642 model.  I did that.  The rental 8642 had the identical problem.  It was a brand new box!  I recently returned the rental and  *BOUGHT* an 8642 and it has the identical problem.  That's 3 separate boxes, all with the same problem.  I can't see how asking people to call Rogers technical support and deal with this on a case by case basis is going to do ANYTHING.  Multiple people have reported the problem with, as far as I can tell, 0% satisfaction in solving it!  Why, after months of the problem, Rogers can't solve it, I do not know.

sigh. Rogers.

LF1949
I Plan to Stick Around

For the first 2 or 3 months Rogers insisted this condition was not a problem and not to worry about it. Now they say they are aware of the problem and are working with Cisco to resolve it. They still insist that it only affects a few customers, while I believe it affects all 8300HD and 8642HD PVRs. Most people are oblivious to the problem especially if they have a rental or an 8642 which is much quieter making the spinning up and shutting down every few minutes less noticeable. I’ve only checked a few, but they all do it. Since most large companies these days are run by lawyers and accountants what surprises me is they haven’t clued into the fact that this condition is damaging all of their rentals and when customer purchased units start to fail in mass, some lawyer might think since Rogers is knowingly damaging these units, they should be held responsible.  

Exactly. I have two PVR's. They BOTH spin constantly! Only because of the fact the one in the upstaire bedroom is behind glass, I probably would have went off the deep end and chucked it right in the garbage due to the noise they now make. Never made this kind of noise before this update! GO JAYS GO!

tyyhh
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same issue with my 8300. Spins up every 3 minutes.

Only starting happening after this update.

Please help.

LF1949
I Plan to Stick Around

If your PVR is a rental, you might want to keep up with the viewing of your recorded shows. It's only a matter of time and the internal HDD will fail and you will loose everything. Since it's a rental you can exchange it when it becomes flakey or fails. If your PVR is purchased, you need to try to reduce the amount of time that it is turned off and the iHDD is cycling. People have tried a number of things like unplugging it when you go to bed at night, setting wake-up timers, setting dummy recording etc.

You should contact Rogers tech support, but level 1 support likely won't understand the issue. If you talk to level 2 support be sure they understand you're worried about the frequent cycling of the hard drive shortening its life. They will likely tell you they are aware of the problem and Cisco is working on a fix. Since this issue was reported late October 2010, don't hold your breath.