HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

Actually, this message is specifically directed at the message from RogersErin..

First, the problem with the hard disks constantly spinning up and down affects BOTH the 8300 series PVRs, AND the newer 8642 boxes.  I had a rental 8300 box before the firmware upgrade was done, and afterwards, the problem started.  When I first reported the problems to Rogers, the technician suggested that I return the box and get the newer 8642 model.  I did that.  The rental 8642 had the identical problem.  It was a brand new box!  I recently returned the rental and  *BOUGHT* an 8642 and it has the identical problem.  That's 3 separate boxes, all with the same problem.  I can't see how asking people to call Rogers technical support and deal with this on a case by case basis is going to do ANYTHING.  Multiple people have reported the problem with, as far as I can tell, 0% satisfaction in solving it!  Why, after months of the problem, Rogers can't solve it, I do not know.

sigh. Rogers.

I Plan to Stick Around

For the first 2 or 3 months Rogers insisted this condition was not a problem and not to worry about it. Now they say they are aware of the problem and are working with Cisco to resolve it. They still insist that it only affects a few customers, while I believe it affects all 8300HD and 8642HD PVRs. Most people are oblivious to the problem especially if they have a rental or an 8642 which is much quieter making the spinning up and shutting down every few minutes less noticeable. I’ve only checked a few, but they all do it. Since most large companies these days are run by lawyers and accountants what surprises me is they haven’t clued into the fact that this condition is damaging all of their rentals and when customer purchased units start to fail in mass, some lawyer might think since Rogers is knowingly damaging these units, they should be held responsible.  

I'm Here A Lot

Exactly. I have two PVR's. They BOTH spin constantly! Only because of the fact the one in the upstaire bedroom is behind glass, I probably would have went off the deep end and chucked it right in the garbage due to the noise they now make. Never made this kind of noise before this update! GO JAYS GO!

I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same issue with my 8300. Spins up every 3 minutes.

Only starting happening after this update.

Please help.

I Plan to Stick Around

If your PVR is a rental, you might want to keep up with the viewing of your recorded shows. It's only a matter of time and the internal HDD will fail and you will loose everything. Since it's a rental you can exchange it when it becomes flakey or fails. If your PVR is purchased, you need to try to reduce the amount of time that it is turned off and the iHDD is cycling. People have tried a number of things like unplugging it when you go to bed at night, setting wake-up timers, setting dummy recording etc.

You should contact Rogers tech support, but level 1 support likely won't understand the issue. If you talk to level 2 support be sure they understand you're worried about the frequent cycling of the hard drive shortening its life. They will likely tell you they are aware of the problem and Cisco is working on a fix. Since this issue was reported late October 2010, don't hold your breath.

I'm Here A Lot

Picked up two replacement PVR's from Rogers as a test as per my previous post. It will be interesting to see if my picture freezing stops and if the refurbished PVR's do not cycle constantly. Could only get refurbished models as they do not make the 8300's anymore. Will post again next week with an update.

I'm Here A Lot

Plugged in refurbished PVR upstairs. Waited for the reboot. Tuned to hi-def channel. Immediate freezing. So bad unwatchable. Took out PVR, replaced with my own. Back to just freezing occasionally. Put refurbished PVR back in. Rebooted. Same as before. While positioning PVR, picture went black. Moved around HDMI cable in back. Picture came back on. Went out and purchased new HDMI cable and ended up with the same problem. PVR unwatchable. Put my own back in. Watchable. Put refurbished PVR in living room to replace my own  that was giving me all kinds of freezing problems. Refurbished model works 100%! Conclusion so far is that I purchased two PVR's out of the box that were defective. ( Now along with the replacement PVR.) More to follow.

I Plan to Stick Around

Our PVR, in the bedroom is doing the same thing for a couple of months now, not sure when it started. Driving us nuts at night. I see there is no solution yet. We are going to leave ours powered up so the darn thing won't spin up every five minutes. Lets go Rogers Tech and Cisco!! Thankfully ours is a rental for when the excessive hard drive starts kill the motor.

I've Been Around

I love the PVR and can't watch TV without it. I remember how I used to videotape everything for later viewing. At the time Iloved that too. What I don't love is this spin up problem. I have three PVRS. Only one experienced this so I returned it to Rogers and they replaced it with the newer Cisco model. I like the black colour and don't miss the Quickstart. But it also has the spin up issue. Funny how the other two PVRs do not. I tried swapping locations and confirmed that it is the PVR, not the cable connection. It brand new and has virtually nothing recorded so defragging is not going to help.

After all the comments here, I don't want to waste my time with Rogers. But I cross my fingers that this will resolve.

I Plan to Stick Around

I just wish someone from Rogers would publically aknowledge the problem that exists on BOTH 8300 and 8642 boxes, and explain to the community exactly what is being done to solve the problem, and when a resolution is expected.

I got an e-mail from this forum asking me to submit my information to rogers so that they could call me to discuss the problem.  I submitted the email, and NOTHING.. no call...