HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

Its baaack....

and driving me nuts again.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Another Rogers 8300HD PVR hard drive starting up every 5 minutes 24/7

My Rogers 8300HDs'  hard drives just recently began starting up about every 5 minutes for about 3 seconds before the shutting off and parking the heads  with  loud clicks.   This cannot possibly serve any purpose and is clearly a malfunction. 

I have two of these PVRs, one in living,  one in bedroom.  Both are annoying, as this happens 24/7 no matter what state or setting. 

The only explanation is Rogers' usual uninvited invasion of my private property.  I own my PVR's and I am concerned about the damage Rogers is doing to my investment, as turning on and off causes the greatest stress to hard drives, to both mechanics and electonics.

It seems that no one had gotten any satisfaction from tech support, but I will go that route when I get time.

A quick look at discussions on this found nothing helpful as of January 18, 2011.  Some hillarious nonsense though.

But all nonsense is welcome, helpful or hillarious.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

You lucky dog! Only spinning every five minutes!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

My Hard drive has been doing this for about 3 weeks now and last night the picture decided to freeze up every few seconds. I called Rogers and they said the signal strength is fine and they are investigating a network problem on their side and will get back to me in 48 hours...I can't watch TV like this. I tried to pause the picture and let some time go by then watch it and it just seemed to 'record' the freezes. Interestingly enough ROD seemed to work fine but my recorded shows froze just as normal TV is. HELP!!!
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

An update...I got home last night to a message from Rogers that the problem was fixed. So I checked my TV and yes it was. Problem is, its back today. I defragged the drive and still no help.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I disconnected my purchased 8300HD last week after the hard drive in my son's failed; I'm assuming due to the constant starting and stopping every few minutes for the last couple of months. Right now I have a rental 8642HD that is also doing the same thing, but since it's a rental, I'm not as concerned. Once Rogers fixes the problem, I'll reconnect my 8300. I'm going to call and have them open a third ticket for this issue this morning. They closed the first 2 saying the problem was resolved, which it was not. I'd like to know what criteria they use to close a ticket.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@LF1949 this happened to my 8300HD last time this issue happened a few years ago. The only good thing is that you can replace the internal HDD yourself with one up to 500GB.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Chris, actually when this all started a couple of months ago, I pulled the upgraded drive in my 8300HD and put the old 160 back in. I didn't get to my son's in time. I have a new drive for my son's, but will hold off replacing it until the issue is resolved. He's using a rental right now as well. One thing I didn't know, according to my son the PVR acted like a normal STB with the drive trashed. You might be able to disconnect the drive and still use the box.

BTW, I also started around 40 years ago with a $1200 Atari 800. A buddy of mine brought one in from California a year yearlier for around $2000. Yikes!... the good old days.

Highlighted
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@community

Rogers is aware that some customers are experiencing issues with the Scientific Atlanta 8300 PVR box and we are working with the manufacturer to resolve as soon as possible. We take this very seriously and want to help you resolve current problems.

By contacting Technical Support, our agents can help troubleshoot your particular issue and identify potential workarounds.

We appreciate your support in reporting the issues you are experiencing because it will help the manufacturer provide a permanent resolution.

Thank you

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

How long is it going to take? Spinning out of control. Heres a story. Rogers customer for twenty years. Cable, phone and internet. Appx. three years ago picture started freezing up, pixilating, volume dropping off, ect.ect. This was just aroung the time I PURCHASED a PVR. Called Rogers. Out comes a tech. Does his thing. Good to go. He left, same problem. Called Rogers. Out comes a tech. Does his thing. Says you need a booster. Good to go. He left, same problem. Called Rogers. Out comes a tech. Takes booster out. Says too much signal. Good to go. He left, same problem. Called Rogers. Guy comes out. Explain problem. This guy felt bad for me. Said it was his last day on the job. He gave me the number of the guy who trains all the techs. I call him. He says why are you calling me? I explain. He feels so bad for me that he sends his best guy out. He's here in twenty minutes. He goes through everything. I had him back three times. He eventually says it has to be your PVR. I said how can it be the PVR when it is happening on regular cable also. He said return the PVR ( still under warranty ) and get another one to find out for sure. I called Rogers. They said there is nothing they can do for me because I OWN IT!   Have to return it to the manufacturer. Four to six weeks gone. I was so mad I went and PURCHASED another PVR. SAME PROBLEM. I called the guy back and left a voice mail telling him I was right. Never heard from him again. Now you have to understand that at certain times during this I would just back off for a month or two at a time before i went absolutely insane. Then I would get back into it. New cable installed throughout the house. All new cable from the road. Had a guy sit outside in a van watching t.v. waiting for it to freeze. Never did when he was watching. See all this time, thats the problem. Was told they had to see it happening. I would have the techs over and show them the pixlelation on a recorded program but they said it does not matter. They have to catch it. After being released from the puzzle palace they finally put me trough to a level two supervisor. I told him my problems and guess what? He said put one of the screwed up programs on and I will measure the signal from here. SHOOT ME! Finally I thought we woulg get somewhere. Guess again.  After many phone calls back and forth I still have recieved no satisfaction. I was then told that the guy who runs the whole shebang was given my number and that he was going to call me. Never did. A Mr. Munro. Now I'm told another guy is going to call me. It's been a week. I have been at this so long I feel like a Rogers employee. I estimate over this three year period I have had fifteen to eighteen visits ( I had the same guy three times. The last time he came he just turned around and left! I agreed!) I have had a supervisor make an appointment for me only to have the guy show up on the wrong day. Rebook, and when the guy shows up and I explain my problem he says you need a senoir tech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I estimate I have spent the equivilent of a two week vacation waiting for Rogers people. This goes on and on. There are things that have happened that I do not remember and there are things that I have left out I would have ditched Rogers a long time ago but I am into them for about $1.500 and their PVR's are dedicated to Rogers. So not only do I have brutal cable I am also being penalized for owning their product!. Life goes on. Oh, and by the way. There is one constant. The bill arrives like clockwork every month. They got that part right!  Stay tuned. I forgot. I had Rogers come to the door doing a survey. Poor **bleep**. he left my door blubering.