HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

First post at this forum.

My 8300HD (or rather, Roger's 8300HD) has recently started doing something it never did before.  The hard drive will start spinning up and shutting down every five or ten minutes.  This happens when the unit is not in use (no one watching tv).  If I sit in my living room I can hear the drive turning on and off constantly.  As I said, it never happened before, and nothing has changed (except the Roger's menus) with the setup.  So far it does not seem to be affecting its use - it is working fine - but the noise is getting irritating.  I have been given the 'ok' to switch the box at a roger's store, but I don't want to bother if it isn't going to fix the problem.  Does this issue sound familiar to anyone?  Is it a sign that the hard drive is going?

thanks for reading,

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

I've seen this (or heard it) a few times. I'm currently not having it with my cisco or my 8300HD but I know it has happened in the past with my 8300HD and at my parents and a few other houses I've been to.. I think it is either software trying to download and install a newer version.. Maybe it didn't phone home properly when the last update was installed.. Or it is the guide information trying to download. Besides swapping it out or waiting for new software from Rogers I don't think there is much you can do.

I don't think it is the HDD failing thats more of a clicking noise that is louder than normal HDD sounds.
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Chris,

The problem did seem to coincide with the recent update to the appearance of the menus, although I'm not 100% sure about that.  It drives me crazy that there isn't a way to find out for sure what is causing the problem.  

Do you think switching the box is going to make a difference?

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yep switching could probably fix the issue. Just note if you get a cisco box it doesn't support the quick start menu or on screen caller id... Some people are reporting digital glitches on recorded shows or shows that they have paused.. I have also noticed this but not to the point of unwatchable..

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks again for the speedy reply,

If I switch I'll make sure I'm getting the same type of box.  

I'm a Senior Advisor

Good luck with the new box.. Lets hope it works Smiley Happy

I've Been Around

I am having the exact same problem, which began after the recent firmware upgrade. Constant cycling of the HDD is not good for it, not to mention the consistent noise it makes in the middle of the night.

Since firmware updates are complete, this cannot be the reason, as well firmware updates do not go to the HDD, they go to the FIRMWARE.

Same of the guide information, as it is the same info on non- PVR models : no HDD required so it should not affect the HDD.

The simplest answer is also the obvious: The Firmware upgrade has modified the HDD performance somehow.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Even though it doesn't write that info to the HDD I  believe it does start up the HDD (though reasons I don't know) It could be the firmware that is causing this I guess. I'm surprised it isn't more reported.. But it could be... I just think I've had the issue in the past and it has gone away. Maybe gone away due to a new firmware down the line.. I guess only Rogers knows what goes in these updates.

Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for all your help Chris!

I Plan to Stick Around

So, I'm sick of listening to this box now, and I am going to swap it this week.  Chris: Could you confirm what you wrote about the cisco box not supporting the quick start menu and the caller id?  I asked the rep at the store about that and he knew nothing of it (surprise).  Are there any advantages of the cisco box I should be aware of besides these two disadvantages? (I also asked the rep this question and he didn't know of any.)

Thanks for the help.

By the way, I found out in the meantime if I just leave the box powered on it doesn't do it - I just have to wake it up every once in a while.