HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

While I would like to thank Rogers for the update to the 8300 HDPVR boxes that fixed numerous problems caused by the previous update, it would still be nice if you could fix the missing "info" on the IPG. We certainly know this is happening to everyone - several days of info missing.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1458300#post1458300

pdqweb
I Plan to Stick Around

All Rogers boxes have IPG changes. But few people (other than forums) noticed the guide doesn't look ahead more than 2 days. During the (second) HSUD fiasco that was a less important worry (hard drives dying). But I assume changes like the IPG thing are a result of normal usage, not the 'aware' group assembed here. For more comments see Digital Home

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=1458853&postcount=64

Stagger
I Plan to Stick Around

Few people know about the forums. Of the ones that do, few people post about the problem, especially when they see other people are already complaining about it.

I’m sure lots of people are aware of the missing IPG info, but most won’t take the time to call support or post about it here. With all the previous complaints, it's going to be fixed soon. Right??? Smiley Frustrated

cenozoite
I've Been Here Awhile

@IHR wrote:
We can no longer even watch "live" TV without experiencing more pausing while the box spins down. About every 20 minutes, the picture totally freezes and the only fix is to change the channel and then change it back again, but hey it will be good for another 20 minutes until it freezes again! 

I'm one of the people who's had major issues since the September firmware update, but has followed the thread silently so far since other people were already describing and reporting identical issues. While the most recent  update has fixed the primary problems addressed like HSUD, recorded list navigation etc, I am still in fact experiencing the behaviour mentioned above, where live TV will freeze completely (video and audio) after about 20 minutes and a channel change is needed to jolt it out of its coma.

Is anyone else still seeing this on their units?

msinn
I've Been Here Awhile

I have also been reading silently with the same spinning problems. I made several calls to Rogers to help solve the problem like many of you did. On Oct 31 we got the update to fix the spinning problem. Every one who got this update should listen to their boxes when they turn them off. I noticed right away that even though the light when off indicating that the box was off it wasn't really off. The box was still humming as if it was still on. I have two boxes and it was the same on both of them and my daughter has the same 8300 box and hers was humming as well. I called Rogers twice since then and of course nothing has been done. If everyone who was having the spinning problem could listen to their boxes when they are on and again when you turn them off and they sound the same it means your boxes are not turning off but staying on all the time. There should be no sound coming from them when they are really off. This cannot  be good for these boxes to be on all the time besides the fact that it is wasting hydro and and maybe even be a fire hazard if they over heat. If these boxes are put through much more I don't think they will last much longer. It has been 2 months since Rogers has been coming into are homes and causing damage to privately owned equipment and I am totaly fed up. Please check your boxes as soon as possible and call Rogers about it.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Were thy not humming before?

Other than the humm, these boxes NEVER 100% turn off. And I'm talking they are always powered on MORE than the phantom power many other devices go into.

The power off, is more of a sleep mode. The unit needs to stay powered and on, to be able to run its schedule, record stuff, when its turned off. The hard drives don't, and can wake up when needed, but the unit will never power off to that extent. If they did, you would be siting there with 10mins of boot up every time you turn it on

msinn
I've Been Here Awhile

Both my boxes were completely silent when the box was turned off. Now when they are turned off they sound exactly the same as when they are on. I would never here a sound from them when I was sleeping unless I was recording something but now I here them hum all night. This happens on both boxes and like I said before my daughters as well. This happened after the update was done because I was up when the update was done and noticed it immediately when I went to turn off the box. The boxes were also silent when the spinning was happening and you got a rare break from the spinning noise.

pdqweb
I Plan to Stick Around

The SA8300HD HSUD (hard drive spinning up & down) problems started autumn 2010 after a firmware update. A firmware update 6 months later in May 2011 fixed this by keeping the HDD (hard drive) spinning 24/7. Some other changes:

"First run" (new episode) recording option enabled
    Remote TV Manager functional
    HSUD fixed by keeping HDD "on" 24/7
    eHDD "sleeping" problem resolved (external)
    Quick Start Menu > Search Now uses screen keyboard

In September 2012 another update caused HSUD yet again. The firmware was updated Oct. 2012 in 6 weeks.  Once again HSUD "fixed"  by having the HDD spinning 24/7.  (I heard my HDD spin down for 12 minutes about 5 am several days ago!)

Drive hardware failure:

HSUD will significantly reduce the life of any HDD, but running 24/7 will not. But the noise from the older IDE drives may be annoying if located near where you sleep. (New models are quieter.)

Power costs of keeping the drive spinning:

If my PVR was "off" with only an internal drive running, someone posted energy usage about 24 watts, for a monthly 17 kWh. So if my PVR was 'off' all the time, at my (excess) winter rate $.065 the monthly cost is $1.12. The savings if your HDD was powered down instead of leaving it on would be 75 cents if your PVR is used 8 hours a day.

SA8300HD information about HSUD problem:

1. [closed] New SARA Firmware 1.93.14.1 Discussions (SA8300HD) Summary in Post 1 Sep/2012  http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392

2. New SARA Firmware 1.93.15.1 for SA8300HD Discussions - Summary in Post 1. (Oct/2012) http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=157432

msinn
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks so much for the information about the PVR staying on all the time, I really appreciate it. That is much more than I ever got from Rogers. I am still not happy that they do not turn off especially at night but as long as there is no serious damage happening then I guess we have to live with it.

tyfc
I've Been Around

HI, I;m new here, hope i'm in the right place?
I have a 8300HD that the HD is always spinning, i read most of the posts and this is what happened after an software update.
My question is, can i turn off the HD by unplugging the the drive power plug and adding a external switch to the 12v feed?
 My second idea was to make an external extention 4 wire power connector to unplug power to drive?
 Would this do any damage to the HD if only the power was removed? The PVR is in the bedroom and can hear the HD spinning
  Any reply would be appreiated

Thanks