HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

If it is anything like the issue 2 years ago, we'll be waiting months before anything gets fixed.

I'm an Advisor

Chris, between Cisco and Rogers there seems to problems with PVR software changes on both the 8300 and 8642.
Why not get a group of customers to test things out before general release.
I'm sure many of those that have posted would gladly volunteer.
I'm a Senior Advisor

@rogkrap wrote:
Chris, between Cisco and Rogers there seems to problems with PVR software changes on both the 8300 and 8642.
Why not get a group of customers to test things out before general release.
I'm sure many of those that have posted would gladly volunteer.

After the firmware updates from 2010 and now this latest update, I would never volunteer to be a tester. What I think would be a great idea though is that Rogers employees be required to test all new updates before they are released to an unsuspecting public!

I'm an Advisor

Neither Rogers or Cisco seem able to check things very well. The track record speaks for itself.
An independent, knowledgeable and more competent QA team is needed.
Don't care where they come from, but neither Rogers or Cisco qualify on any of these three criteria !

I'm a Senior Advisor

Point taken! Smiley Frustrated

I've Been Around

I noticed the same problem about 3 weeks ago but I also use an extender (1tb seagate provided by Rogers). I hear this sound when the box is on or off. Also when playing back items they will freeze and then continue playing multiple times during a half hour show. These freezing points are always accompanied by the hard drive spinning up and down. The sound seems to be coming from the extender itself. I've only had the 8300HD since August 4th and the extender came 2 weeks later. Like I said issue has only been around since mid to late Sept.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@tmunro wrote:

I noticed the same problem about 3 weeks ago but I also use an extender (1tb seagate provided by Rogers). I hear this sound when the box is on or off. Also when playing back items they will freeze and then continue playing multiple times during a half hour show. These freezing points are always accompanied by the hard drive spinning up and down. The sound seems to be coming from the extender itself. I've only had the 8300HD since August 4th and the extender came 2 weeks later. Like I said issue has only been around since mid to late Sept.

Yup - all problems caused by the September firmware update. If you decide to call tech support, do not let anyone there tell you it is anything different. Some of them are absolutely clueless. You might also refer them to the master ticket that has been created - PT00063763. And be sure to read this thread if you have not already done so.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392

I'm an Advisor

@rogkrap wrote:
Neither Rogers or Cisco seem able to check things very well. The track record speaks for itself.
Don't care where they come from, but neither Rogers or Cisco qualify on any of these three criteria !

Rogers 8642 download screwup (can't turn the PVR off, one must reboot to fix) tells me there is ZERO QA !

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rogkrap wrote:

@rogkrap wrote:

Rogers 8642 download screwup (can't turn the PVR off, one must reboot to fix) tells me there is ZERO QA !

Well, i wont argue, that their QA isnt GREAT... but its not zero.

I myself did have the download/update that this happened... but i did not have to reboot mine, it did turn off fine.

You can test on 100 machines, and have it work fine, so push it out.  Then you have the 101 machine fail.  Even on the same piece of hardware model, across X many machines, there is always bound to be some that will act differently.  (i get this doing mass installs of PCs at one time)

I've Been Around

There are numerous issues that appeared after recent firmware upgrades. Do you need a comprehensive list, or can you just read through the posts? I found I have all of them and some that haven't been listed. I spent $1200 for my 2 HDPVR and they were working fine. Now that you 'upgraded' THE EQUIPMENT THAT I OWN, I cannot return them because they are not in warranty??? WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS??   It works well for you , doesn't it, as I would move to another company, if not for the sizeable investment I made in the equipment!