HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: HD PVR hard drive constantly spinning up

@sabrina13 wrote:

I am also having this problem with the 8300 model.  It worked great for about 1 year and now the drive keeps spinning up every 10min or so.  It is quite loud and I often find myself unplugging the box.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be great.  My box is no longer under warrenty so I am not sure I can exchange it.

You may want to check what SARA version you have. Rogers has been updating the 8300 boxes again without properly testing and without any regard for the havoc it is wreaking upon customers. You would think that after the fiasco of a couple of years ago that Rogers would learn something, but apparently not. Have a look at this!

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Totally noticed this happening again.. I would maybe just always leave the pvr on.. 

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

This is a known problem (to Rogers Customers anyways ... Rogers Support is another matter ...)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=156392

They managed to fixed this fir the 8300, then the 8642, and now it broke again for the 8300.

Should us 8642 owners be worried?

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Oh, also, the "workaround" was to leave the PVR on to a music (e.g. Galaxy) channel when not viewing TV ... these channels do no cause as much HD buffering, so you shouldn't notice the HSUD as much.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Myself and two of my friends have this same problem on the 8300 since two weeks today, Rogers says I have to replace the box, they won't acknowledge that it's only been happening to us since the latest firmware update pushed two weeks ago. Arrg!
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@don_toronto wrote:
Myself and two of my friends have this same problem on the 8300 since two weeks today, Rogers says I have to replace the box, they won't acknowledge that it's only been happening to us since the latest firmware update pushed two weeks ago. Arrg!

Probably not enough reports of it.

Thats one thing.. even if its not instantly fixed/resloved.. when people have issues like this, they should be calling in, so its logged.
The more tickets they have on the same issue, the more likely it is to become acknoledged as an across the board issue and looked at quicker.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, I agree, the problems need to be reported to Rogers. Here is a summary of the major issues reported from the link I previously posted:

1. HSUD (HDD spinning up and down) This HSUD causes issues on playback with pauses when the drive spins down. One workaround is to constantly record say an SD channel. (of course this may cause conflicts)

2. List goes to beginning rather than "staying" at selection after erasing a program.

3. When trying to record, the default position for "select" is to "change to this channel" rather than "Record". Workaround is to press record button instead of select or scroll to record selection.

4. There is missing information in the IPG - a few days out. If that is missing when you set the recording, then there may not be any "info" when you look at the recording in the list.

What is really frustrating is that the firmware update of 2 years ago created major issues. Rather than learn from their mistakes, Rogers is doing it all over again - 2 years later. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

You woul think that someone on Rogers reads this forum right?

My 8300 has been spinning up and down like a jet engine for weeks now. It's a purchased one, so when it dies I'm out $500. Leaving it on is a fine solution, except that in its infinite wisdom Rogers powers down my box at night and that causes it to start spinning up and down again.Cat Sad

So now I have to record the Galaxie channel all night just to get some sleep.

The trouble with calling Rogers is that no one there knows anything about it. They tell you to reboot. Then they'll say it's your hard drive that's dying.

When my machine dies I'm calling Bell.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@josephus well with falling harddrive prices you should only be out $89... but with the lack of ide drive use it will be getting harder and harder to find one.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

I just got off the phone with Rogers. The tech at least seemed to be aware of the update. He took down all of my problems, issued a ticket number (C62187902) and sent it off to engineering. We should receive a phone call within 24 hours, for what it's worth!  With Rogers though, I have learned never to expect a solution.  Hopefully, everyone experiencing these issues will call Rogers.