HD Channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

HD Channels

I'm currently subscribed to the Rogers VIP package, "ALL THE BENEFITS OF DIGITAL PLUS AN ADDITION TO UP TO 38 SPECIALTY CHANNELS, SPORTS & REALITY TV CHANNELS  UP TO 61 HD CHANNELS INCLUDED  1000s MORE MOVIES EVERY MONTH" and own a SA8300SD PVR. Since I recently got a new Samsung 50" Smart TV, I'm contemplating getting a HD PVR, probably a SA8300HD from Shopping Channel, because the NB3 appears to have a long way to go before it's 100% reliable.

It says my VIP package includes "up to 61 HD channels" but I don't know which ones they are. When I go to any channel with "HD" in the call letters from the IPG (mostly in the 5xx range) I alwaus get the message "Thia channel carries XXXHD in HDTV. If you would like to receive XXXHD and other channels in high definition, please contact our sales department for more information." This is not the same message as when you select a chaannel that needs to be ordered at extra cost. So what I would like to know is, if I get an HD PVR and hook it up, will I automatically get all the HD channels I'm entitled to, or will I have to call Rogers to turn them on?

***Edited labels***

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: HD Channels

Never seen that message myself. And don't have an sd box to check anymore, but that is sure what it sounds like.
I switched boxes from and sd to HD before and never had to do anything.

I'm a Senior Advisor

If ýou're paying for HD, the HD feed is already being sent.  Plugging in an HD box should allow you to pull them in withou intervention from Rogers.

The guide will then grey put any channel you're not subscribed to.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I have the old IPG. Would the new one grey out unsubscribed channels? I didn't think Rogers differentiated between subscribed and unsubscribed channels just so you'd get a sales pitch every time you selected one you weren't subscribed to. Some time back I was reading either here or elsewhere about a new IPG that subscribers with HD boxes were getting and finding it very confusing, sothey were asking Rogers to switch them back to the old one.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While its not quite the same as the older boxes.. where they were a big grey box instead of the normal color if i remember correctly?

the new IPG, the reguar channels all show WHITE text on a black background.    The ones you dont get, are a very faded out light grey.  Different color than the white text... but, i could see someone with color or severe vision issues could have a hard time differentiating.

Best would be go into a store, and take a look at their demo unit, and see the difference for yourself.

I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

The 8300HD PVR "old" guide uses different colours for subscribed and unsubscribed channels. Don't remember exactly what the colours are, as I've not used my 8300 for a few months. I'm surprised you wouldn't see this on your 8300SD and don't see why it would be different from the HD box.

I Plan to Stick Around

@OLDYELLR wrote:

I'm currently subscribed to the Rogers VIP package, "ALL THE BENEFITS OF DIGITAL PLUS AN ADDITION TO UP TO 38 SPECIALTY CHANNELS, SPORTS & REALITY TV CHANNELS  UP TO 61 HD CHANNELS INCLUDED  1000s MORE MOVIES EVERY MONTH" and own a SA8300SD PVR. Since I recently got a new Samsung 50" Smart TV, I'm contemplating getting a HD PVR, probably a SA8300HD from Shopping Channel, because the NB3 appears to have a long way to go before it's 100% reliable.

It says my VIP package includes "up to 61 HD channels" but I don't know which ones they are. When I go to any channel with "HD" in the call letters from the IPG (mostly in the 5xx range) I alwaus get the message "Thia channel carries XXXHD in HDTV. If you would like to receive XXXHD and other channels in high definition, please contact our sales department for more information." This is not the same message as when you select a chaannel that needs to be ordered at extra cost. So what I would like to know is, if I get an HD PVR and hook it up, will I automatically get all the HD channels I'm entitled to, or will I have to call Rogers to turn them on?

Only HD boxes will show available HD channels, and only those channels that are not considered "pay tv" or specialty. Usually HD channels that mirror SD channel programming are offered for free, such as Canadian networks, if a channel is not carried in VIP then you will get the sign-up nag screen. So, essentially, the full spectrum of channels are spit through the cable. You would not need to have Roger's turn anything "on" for the "free" channels available.

That said, I have an 8300HD, and I do get different colour backgrounds on programming/channels I don't get in the VIP/TMN package.

I'm a Senior Advisor

SARA on the 8300 greys out unsubscribed channels. older ones don't, if I remember.
I'm an Advisor

Lurker:

As I said about my 8300HD, it shows different colours. Unsubbed channels are not greyed out, but that's on the old guide. I think the colours are green and a purple type of colour, where green is subbed and purple is not. The colours may, of course, be dependent on the colour scheme you pick for the box.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, my daughter recently (this year) subscribed to a HD PVR from hyst having a Rogers STB. It's an 8300HD, which is strange because I thought Rogers had phased those out. But then her husband ia frugal, so they must have dodged the bullet by not getting a NextBox. She says her IPG looks just like mine, so it must be the old style. Anyway, I should probably go over there and see for myself.