HD Box to split cable…I don't get it?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

HD Box to split cable…I don't get it?

Can someone help me? So this switchover that is supposedly happening on June 1, that I got the letter for.  So I got a HD set top box for my main TV from a friend but my second tv, the cable is split so does this mean that I need another box for second TV?  I tried to get a digital adaptor box but they wont give it to me since I have now attached said HD box to my account and I apparently only have one outlet and when I asked about second TV they want $60 to come and put a new outlet in.  Are you kidding me? Is this whole thing not a huge money grabbing thing?  I am so irritated it is unbeleivable but I have no other option, who is their competition? No one which is why the monopoly is the way it is.  Anyway, my main question is, if I have split the cable from one TV to another the the first TV is now attached to an HD box, will the second TV lose all the channels at the end of the month?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: HD Box to split cable…I don't get it?

@meerkat12 wrote:

Anyway, my main question is, if I have split the cable from one TV to another the the first TV is now attached to an HD box, will the second TV lose all the channels at the end of the month?

To my knowledge, the answer to your question is yes, although you still might receive the channels that remain in analog format - roughly 2-28!

Rogers is providing the Digital Adapters to any authorized analog connection. Since you have only one authorized connection and it now has a digital terminal attached, the additional connection with the splitter would not be authorized. That is why they want to come in and charge you $60 and they will likely leave the additional outlet connected with a splitter. Basically they will charge you $60 for doing nothing - unless they replace the splitter with one of their own! Then they will charge you another $6.99 a month for an additional outlet fee! Yup - they got you by the short hairs!

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the reply.  As far as I understand channels 2-28 are no longer going to be digital, as I have basic cable so thats basically the only channels I get anyway, other than some random ones in the 60's and a few other useless ones.  Where did you hear that 2-28 are remaning analogue?

I'm a Senior Advisor

What I have read on other forums (sorry, but I cannot provide a link) is that if you have a current analog connection, you can receive from channels 2-70 (or thereabouts) with a direct cable connection to your TV. After May 31, you will still be able to receive channels 2-28 (or so) but anything above that will be lost unless you have the digital adapter! Eventually, even these channels will be lost, but Rogers has not announced a timeline yet!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes welcome to the digital era. this is not new, satellite dish has required a seperate set top box for every additional tv since its conception.  you are only paying for one outlet, so if u want a second outlet, you gotta pay for it.  

I Plan to Stick Around

I am new to Rogers.  Downtown Toronto, using Basic Cable (Digital TV) with (I was told) > 190 channels and many HD channels thanks to Nextbox.  

Can I split this signal, and feed one cable to my Nextbox (for HD) and the other to my PC which has a built in TV tuner/PVR?  I know I can't get HD without the box, but at least getting the 190+ channels (minus HD) on my PC would be nice?  (And enable me to view one thing on TV, and record another on my PC.)

I want to know if this is possible before buying a good splitter and two small RG-6 cables.

Thanks,

Matt

I'm a Senior Advisor

@matt72yard wrote:

I am new to Rogers.  Downtown Toronto, using Basic Cable (Digital TV) with (I was told) > 190 channels and many HD channels thanks to Nextbox.  

Can I split this signal, and feed one cable to my Nextbox (for HD) and the other to my PC which has a built in TV tuner/PVR?  I know I can't get HD without the box, but at least getting the 190+ channels (minus HD) on my PC would be nice?  (And enable me to view one thing on TV, and record another on my PC.)

I want to know if this is possible before buying a good splitter and two small RG-6 cables.

Thanks,

Matt

Minor flaw in the plan.....you won't get 190+ on your PC as the tuner card inside isn't authorized to decode Rogers signals.  You'll only get the remaining analog channels in your area....i

Second minor flaw....if Rogers hasn't authorized a second outlet on your account, splitting your first outlet is technically theft.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply. 🙂

Now that I know it would be theft to split the signal -- in the privacy of my own home using my own equipment!!! -- rest assured I will not be doing this.

But, hypothetically, if I did, and I live in downtown Toronto, what are the "remaining analog channels in your area" you mentioned? Or at least, how many channels?

Thanks,

Matt

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you are interested in analog channels run a google search for:

over the air canada

That will come up a number of links, including channels listing links for various cities.  If you do a little research you would probably determine that you could use a reasonably sized antenna, connected through your house cabling and even into your computer.  Food for thought....  Living in Toronto, close to the U.S. as well, shouldn't be a problem at all.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is only about 30 or so, analog channel remaining.. and decreasing about 3+ per month. (close to what you have with basic.. slightly less)

OTA like datalink sugested, would give you SOME.. maybe not the ones you need/want, from the basic.

Only other real option, would be to get a 2nd digital box of some form.  (assuming you are able to on your plan type)
Even just a simple DTA (which is FREE).
The DTA would give you 1-60ish, in SD.
you COULD attach this to the TV tuner.. the tuner wouldnt do the tuning, the DTA would.. it would just receive the signal.