Guide says I am recording a show, but PVR red light does not appear (Cisco PVR)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Regular

Guide says I am recording a show, but PVR red light does not appear (Cisco PVR)

I'm using an older Cisco PVR with the purple Guide. The Guide says I am recording a show right now, but the PVR itself does not have the usual red light appearing to indicate I am recording a show. The show is definitely not being recorded because when I try playing it, it just shows the PVR channel. So I deleted it and tried recording it again, but with no success.

I tried recording another channel though, and that worked. So could the problem be with this channel specifically?

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Guide says I am recording a show, but PVR red light does not appear (Cisco PVR)

Its possible.  Though usually when i have seen lockups like that.. locks it up completely (all channels).

If you havent already, try rebooting.

I'm a Regular

Re: Guide says I am recording a show, but PVR red light does not appear (Cisco PVR)

Yeah, I have rebooted already so I will see if the problem re-occurs.

I'm an Advisor

GaryKing:

I had a similar problem with an 8300HD PVR. It always resolved itself with a reboot and it would be fine for a while, then happen again. As far as I can tell, it was a problem with the hard drive, which eventually failed completely.

I'm a Regular

So does this problem indicate that there is a problem with my PVR's HD? Should I get it replaced ASAP? Or should I wait until the problem occurs again, to be certain that there is indeed a problem, then do something about it at that point?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello GaryKing

I am staring to think it is the HDD that is the problem. It may fail later on

I'm a Regular

If that is the case, then what are my options? Does Rogers perform free replacements of dying hard drives? My PVR is purchased/owned, not rented.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello GaryKing

The only way Rogers will do it is if you are renting the box or bought it and still habe e warranty. They will NOT replace the HDD but will replace the box.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you do look online there are guides on replacing the drive yourself.

I'm a Regular

I think with my skills, I can install a new hard drive no problem. But my concern comes from the software side. When I install a fresh new hard drive in there, then do I have to install any new software in the hard drive? Or is the hard drive solely for storage, and the PVR's operating system is stored somewhere else? Also, can I install a massive hard drive, like 4 TB, to record more stuff?

And of course, I assume that all my saved programs and future programs will be lost.