cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guide says I am recording a show, but PVR red light does not appear (Cisco PVR)

GaryKing
I'm a Regular

I'm using an older Cisco PVR with the purple Guide. The Guide says I am recording a show right now, but the PVR itself does not have the usual red light appearing to indicate I am recording a show. The show is definitely not being recorded because when I try playing it, it just shows the PVR channel. So I deleted it and tried recording it again, but with no success.

I tried recording another channel though, and that worked. So could the problem be with this channel specifically?

***Edited labels***

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Guide says I am recording a show, but PVR red light does not appear (Cisco PVR)

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its possible.  Though usually when i have seen lockups like that.. locks it up completely (all channels).

If you havent already, try rebooting.

Re: Guide says I am recording a show, but PVR red light does not appear (Cisco PVR)

Yeah, I have rebooted already so I will see if the problem re-occurs.

GaryKing:

I had a similar problem with an 8300HD PVR. It always resolved itself with a reboot and it would be fine for a while, then happen again. As far as I can tell, it was a problem with the hard drive, which eventually failed completely.

So does this problem indicate that there is a problem with my PVR's HD? Should I get it replaced ASAP? Or should I wait until the problem occurs again, to be certain that there is indeed a problem, then do something about it at that point?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello GaryKing

I am staring to think it is the HDD that is the problem. It may fail later on

If that is the case, then what are my options? Does Rogers perform free replacements of dying hard drives? My PVR is purchased/owned, not rented.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello GaryKing

The only way Rogers will do it is if you are renting the box or bought it and still habe e warranty. They will NOT replace the HDD but will replace the box.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you do look online there are guides on replacing the drive yourself.

I think with my skills, I can install a new hard drive no problem. But my concern comes from the software side. When I install a fresh new hard drive in there, then do I have to install any new software in the hard drive? Or is the hard drive solely for storage, and the PVR's operating system is stored somewhere else? Also, can I install a massive hard drive, like 4 TB, to record more stuff?

And of course, I assume that all my saved programs and future programs will be lost.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The 8300 model only goes up to 500g I think. The 8642 I think can do up to 1g.

After install when it communicates with Rogers it will auto pull down the software on its own.

Okay thanks this is really informative. And any hard drive will do? I have built my own computers before so I assume I will be able to do this no problem, with the help of some online guides.

I assume if I put a 4 TB HD then it will just be read as 1 TB?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Garyking

I suggest putting a 500G or 1TB drive. No higher then that as it may cause issues.

Yeah, i wouldnt put in anything physicaly more than what is sugested.. it may cause issues.

Which exact model of box do you have?

The 8300 uses a IDE hard drive.  They are a little more harder to find.
DONT use a SATA to IDE adapter.. as they have been prone to issues in these boxes from what i have read.

The 8642 uses a SATA hard drive.

With any of them.. try and choose a REGULAR model one... a 7200RPM faster one will speed up performance... try not to choose a 'green' drive.  they tend to spin down alot ot save power, etc.. but could really impeed performance.

I have a 8642 model. So this this will do? http://www.amzn.com/B0088PUEPK

Yeah, a WD blue or black drive,should be fine.

GaryKing:

One potential issue to be aware of is what's required to open your PVR's case. Yours may be different, but the old 8300 requires a Torx 10 security bit/screw driver to remove the screws.

Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation