Government to stop in bundling?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Government to stop in bundling?

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL1N0I30BW20131013

This would be beneficial at least for all the extra and specialty channels.

Basic basic cable still may be a mandatory min (vs a full a la carte 100%)

***edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Government to stop in bundling?

Yes, good news, on paper at least.   It remains to be seen how much one could save, if anything.   I shall have to examine this closely if it becomes law.

This is one of those "results will vary" ones and each person will have to look at their extra packages.

Peter
Toronto, Downtown

Peter
Toronto
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Exactly, has potential, but we will have to see.

Simone who wants one channel but forced to a bundle will likely benefit. Someone wanting 3+ it may be worse.

We will see!

I'm an Advisor

This issue is featured in today's Globe and Mail. Here's a quote from Rogers: “We think the minister (Industry Minister James Moore) is right,” said Ken Engelhart, Rogers’ senior vice-president, regulatory affairs. “Consumers want to be in the driver’s seat. … This will be an adjustment, but we’ll get there.”

I find this comment from Mr. Engelhart interesting. My question is, if it's something Rogers supports doing, why haven't they done it already? They don't need government interference telling them how to run their business.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

I would love to have this. I just want 1 channel instead of multiple ones. If i want a discount on multiple channels, all i have to do is call in & see if they can offer me it. Other then that i would love if Rogers does this.
I'm an Advisor

Meowmix:

I too would love this provided it would save me a little money. I subscribe to the TMN/HBO and VIP packages just to get a select few things. I would say 90% of what I watch is on the TMN/HBO package. I have no idea how many channels I get, but it must be at least 200, most of which I never look at.

I've Been Here Awhile

Finally! It's about time Rogers is forced to give us more options. The CRTC strongly encouraged cable providers for such options, but nothing came about.

The only thing Rogers did was a pilot in November '11 in London, but that was only a teaser... See the pilot offer from two years ago:

http://redboard.rogers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Build-your-own-TV-package-from-Rogers.pdf

I've read a comment from Mr. Engelhart saying that the pilot was "very successful". Of course... People are sick of paying for tons of channel when they want only a handful of them.

Personally, I'll save roughly $25 a month or $300 a year... which I would much rather spend on something else than cable.

But shame on Rogers for having the government to force this. They should have rolled out this pilot much sooner.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. It could end up costing just as much or more in the long run and if some channels don't get enough people subscribing to them cable companies may just stop carrying them.

The cynic in me says that the big companies will not lose money they will cover their costs somehow.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And those cost changes, may not be all directly from the cable PROVIDER either.

The channel owner.. where now theirs is bundled, and gauranteed to get their % no matter what when a bundle is bought.. may not be getting as many subscribers now.. so may jack up THEIR prices which rogers has to pay (which will get passed onto us).

Realisticly, i dont see people saving %50 or more.. more like %25 or less, depending on what they want.  But it will still be less.. and less crap that people dont want to wade through possibly as well.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

The channel owner.. where now theirs is bundled, and gauranteed to get their % no matter what when a bundle is bought.. may not be getting as many subscribers now.. so may jack up THEIR prices which rogers has to pay (which will get passed onto us).

Completely disagree. That's not the way the market works. Just like Walmart, Rogers has the power of volume buying and can/will dictate prices paid to channel suppliers accordingly.

As for the channel owner, you don't raise prices for a voyage on a sinking ship........

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"