Got the Asus AC68 router but internet is slow Wired and Wirelessy

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Got the Asus AC68 router but internet is slow Wired and Wirelessy

It's on the 5 ghz network and yes hardware acceleration is set on 2...I just changed the frequency to 153

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you provide a little explanation for "I just changed the frequency to 153".  The user manual isn't a great reference (personal opinion).  Food for thought, if you haven't already done it, recheck the acceleration setting to see if its been disabled by any other setting without warning you. 

Are you testing with your 802.11ac capable  Mac, and if so, in the RT-AC68U Wireless General settings have you left it on Auto, or forced it to use 802.11ac and the widest available bandwidth.  At this time I suspect that the widest bandwidth you can choose under 802.11ac will be 80Mhz, although you never know, maybe 160 Mhz might be available.  That would give you the widest bandwidth and highest data rate possible, but you have to keep in mind that for a constant power output, a wider bandwidth will result in a drop in range from the router.  So, you would have to determine by experimenting from your usual Mac location, what bandwidth setting will deliver the highest data rate, while maintaining enough receive signal power at the laptop.  There is also a check that occurs at the laptop with 802.11ac to determine if the channel width is clear for reception, which is then signaled to the transmitting router.  If the whole bandwidth is not clear, then a smaller bandwidth is used automatically. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Changed the wireless 5ghz frequency channel to that (they use different channel ranges than the 2.4)

The likely ness of I interference in 5ghz range is not likely though...

I Plan to Stick Around

I have been a using my note 3 to test the speed using speedtest.net. It's seems that on the 5 ghz network the router is very picky on the frequency...after fooling around (after I had posted) it seems that 153 works well..acceleration is set to 2..

Would you suspect the router as being bad? I was thinking if getting it exchanged from Staples.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No I don't think it's a matter of the router being bad.  I suspect at this time that its more a matter of fully understanding the capabilities of the 802.11ac and knowing or determining how best to use those capabilities.  Normally with an 802.11n system I would advise people to go the the following link to download and install inSSIDer, which is a wifi monitoring application.  This will also cover the 5 Ghz range, but is not 802.11ac capable.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

That is the last freebie version which only covers up to 802.11n.  Congrats, you're the first person that I will indicate that you should go to inSSIDer's home page and spend the money to download the 802.11ac capable version.  With that you can have a look at the 5 Ghz ac environment to see what channels are available.  Here's the link:

http://www.inssider.com/

The site is a little strange in that you have to go down the On the Job selection at the top, and then down to the bottom of the next page to get to the inSSIDer4 option to buy.  There are other selections available if you choose to spend more money.  but for $20, its worth having an application around to help sort out the issue. Its on my list of other things to buy when I buy an 802.11ac router.

http://www.inssider.com/

Those channels are also used by other systems, so its possible, at your location, that you might be stuck with the upper channels, but the only way to tell is to monitor the whole channel set and see what it looks like in terms of availability.  Here's a link to a chart showing the 5 Ghz channels:

http://securityuncorked.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/graphic-80211-acChannels-all.png

Using channel 153, it looks like the widest channel bandwidth available is 80 Mhz, so you could set that on the router, and see what your results are. Just keep in mind the range decrease that you might experience when you use a wider bandwidth.

Here is another interesting link on Dynamic Frequency Selection that covers usage in the 5 Ghz band.

http://www.elliottlabs.com/documents/dynamic_frequency_selection_combined.pdf

Edit:  channel chart link fixed