Google Error Message

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Like it Here

Google Error Message

Often when I go to see a website or link from my homepage, a Google Error 404 appears saying something went wrong and they have no idea what it is. With a picture of a broken robot.

Is this a Rogers problem of any sort? Or does it belong to my computer. Which is pretty new and this never happened with Shaw Cable, so that is why I'm wondering. I don't want to stop using Firefox as my browser as it has all of my bookmarks set up, and I haven't stayed on Explorer long enough to see if it happens there.

Thanks for any help on this.

Erika

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Google Error Message

I am assuming you are using google chrome?

Its hard to say.

Really the only real test, would be to try that site when it doesnt work in chrome.. via another browser, and see if it comes up or not.

Beyond that.. still could be anything.
Could be the site on the other end is down/not responding.
Or could be rogers side, that the DNS server or something is not getting the right addressing for the site.

I Like it Here

Thank you for your reply. I am using Mozilla Firefoz as my browser not Google Chrome. I don't believe that it is the other site that is not responding as if I go out of the internet and then go back in, I can go onto the sites that I am looking for. The Google error message and blank page just pops up and sort of stops the browser from working properly. Sometimes the booksmarks will still work, other times getting on the browser home page is not possible and sometimes it is, all while the error message is there.

Ok, I will phone Rogers to see if there has been any other customers who are having the same problem, before I look at my computer itself. This wasn't a problem ever before with either Mountaincable or Shaw when they bought that, and therefore I am wondering about Roger's internet service and any problems they have in general.

I appreciate your reply.

Erika

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.. does sound odd.

If it was say a DNS issue.. that it wasnt resolving the name, etc.. that it would continue on. 
Just restarting the browser shouldnt change it.

When you cant go to it.. try doing a PING to the sites address and see if that goes through ok, while the page wont load.

Would think then its a browers issue then.. as you computer can see the address, just the browser cant

I am on rogers, mind you, not in the same area.. but never have issues going to sites.. and i browse ALOT 😛

I Plan to Stick Around

Its a Rogers DNS problem.  Just got off the phone with tech. support.  They suggested that my router was gone, nope because I can print using my wireless connection.  I can access it in the browser and I can check my email (local/not web).

They suggested my old surfboard modem was gone, nope because I can access my email.

They suggested that my network was not stable, nope because I know my system like the back of my hand. (not that I know what my hand looks like!).

Its a  DNS problem.  All is back now 2 hours later. When you call the support line, ask them to check if your area is affected by the DNS problem.  If they reply quickly....ask them to check with a manager.

Its best to be pleasant but persistent.

Good luck.

I Plan to Stick Around

oh....additional info. I could go to www.google.com and get results for a look up but any site I tried to access gave me the broken result.

Same as you Erika. call them and open a ticket
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

thats good to know.

One option then, at least on a device by device bassis, you can set the DNS to be OTHER than rogers, and not run into then issue then

(most of my devices i have switched over to this quite a while ago)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers FB page.. says it should be resolved now.