Google Edition Phones

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Google Edition Phones

Just an idea, but a helpful one, I think.

I bought the Galaxy Nexus outright in February 2012 from Rogers, and would've liked to get the Google edition rather than being reliant on Rogers to filter the updates. Spending ~$600 on a phone is no small expense to your average consumer, so it would be an added luxury to get updates on a more timely cycle than having to wait weeks or months after the initial release of a new android version to even catch a whiff of the update. Android 4.3, for example, is updated on my Nexus7, but not on my phone.. so, unless there isn't a build for it at the moment, which I sincerely doubt, it should've come down the pipeline already.

***edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Google Edition Phones

Hello PAFaiteta 

Thr Galaxy Nexus is the Google Edition.  The Google edition Nexus line is the same line all carriers have..   The nexus devices that carriers sell,  are fully unlocked and bloatware free.  The updates come a bit late on all carriers...  Google will not sell Google edition phones like the S4 Google edition or the HTC one Google edition.  The only Google devices carriers will carry are the Nexus phones. 

Take this up to Goofle,  not Rogers. 

I've Been Here Awhile

You could've just copy/pasted my username, for one.

Secondly, I know they come a bit late on all carriers. That's the basic point of my suggestion, which is to expedite the process a bit.

I understand that they won't necessarily sell those for all phones, but it's a question of the software build being used. With a few settings changed, regardless of carrier, this can be accommodated. Google is the ultimate distributor of the original build to developers or otherwise. My suggestion remains, in my view, perfectly valid.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello PAFaieta

I am sorry, i was using my phone so i just typed it....

The suggestion while a good one, carriers have no say to it. Its up to Google, you will have to take this up with Google Canada, not with Rogers. No one said anything about your view or if its valid but Rogers can NOT do anything sadly, contact Google Canada. They are responsible for the updates which come out for the Nexus line, not Rogers or any other carrier.

Search it up & you will see it. Rogers has no control on updates for the Nexus line. Google sends them out when it comes out. Rogers does NOT touch the update unless Google tells them to check it to make sure it works on their network but it only happens for a day or so.

Also if you see my link below, you will see many did not get the update on their Nexus 7 tablets & Nexus 4 device which they bought from Google. So you see, its not the carriers, its Google Canada... Contact them.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/07/24/android-4-3-update-rolling-out-today-to-nexus-devices-brings-host-...

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know what it is about the Galaxy Nexus having slow updates for Rogers.

But I took someone's Nexus they bought from rogers and reloaded Android 4.1 on it directly from Google, and it was updated via OTA to 4.2 and 4.3 wayyyy before people with the android version that comes from Rogers.

So if you unlock your bootloader and load the Android version from Google's site onto your phone, you'll get the update faster. But then again, how many more updates will the Samsung Galaxy Nexus get?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Clockwork58

Google & Google Canada have different times for updating their devices it seems from the start. the Galaxy Nexus will most likely not get anymore updates after 4.3 & this is something many are saying ( Even some people that are close to Google).

Once you unlock the bootloader & add the Google ( Not Google Canada) Software, you will start getting updates when they come out.