Goodbye Nextbox 3 - It's Been a Slice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Goodbye Nextbox 3 - It's Been a Slice

I'm not sure its that great an idea.

I can see it now....Rogers issues these at $5 a month...people scoop them up because they're cheap, and then this place is flooded with post aboutr "Why can't I access the guide?"  "Why can't I get on demand?"

Then they post about how 'Robbers' is forcing them to pay more to get these services.

I'm not a psycic, but I play one on the Internet

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Lurker

You missed " How come Robbers couldn't get enough?", " Robbers guides are having issues". "i dont like the box".

No matter what the price and box is, people will still complain. This is why i never even bother anymore. I was complaining about the NB 2.0 and Gdkitty and others know this. When i got the NB 3.0 i only had 2 complains so far but nothing major on my side. Although i know later on i will find something but i doubt it. Remember i got this one day 1.
I'm a Senior Advisor

@jimboden wrote:

I’m happy to report that my old 8300 is working fine and it was a pleasure to watch some good stuff last night without any issues,  Also noticed the 8300's hard drive is a Maxtor, which is still going strong after 9 years.

The first refurbished freebie 8300SD I had from Rogers was flaky. Freezing, clicking, requiring reboots, disk errors, recordrd programs gone. I checked the info and found the drive was a Maxtor. I'd had a Maxtor fail on my PC, so that got me worried. Eventually Rogers replaced the PVR with another one, which happened to have a WD drive and it's been working fine for 5 years. Of course the SD would have had a smaller drive than the SD, so it's not strictly apples and apples.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

OLDYELLR:

Yes, it seems these things are always a bit of a "crap shoot". Others have posted in these forums that they had lots of issues with the 8300HD PVR and had them fixed and/or replaced many times. The same issue seems to be true for the Nextbox 3. I've had nothing but bad luck with 2 different boxes regarding audio drop outs and have run out of patience after giving it 3 months. It gets pretty time consuming at times too, when I'd rather be doing something else. With me back on my old reliable 8300, that's a non-issue.

I've had WD drives in computers in the past (current machine has a 1TB Seagate) and they were usually pretty good. I also had 2 different WD external drives and they were both crap, failing after the warranty period. I have a 3TB Seagate external which is about 3 years old and it's been flawless.

I'm an Advisor

I arranged the return of the NB 3 over the phone today and it went well. No hassles or questions asked, so now I’m out of the rent-to-buy commitment and I returned the box to the nearest Rogers store. While I was on the phone finalizing the NB return, I asked the rep about package discounts, knowing that his job was not to deal with it directly. He put me on hold for a while and put me through to a very pleasant lady who gave me a discount on my Internet, Wireless, and Cable package for the next 12 months. All in all, a very pleasant experience, so there are some good reps out there. Smiley Very Happy