Goodbye Nextbox 3 - It's Been a Slice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Goodbye Nextbox 3 - It's Been a Slice

I’ve finally reached the end of my rope with the NB 3 for several reasons, most of which are discussed in this forum, but the biggest one is audio drop outs. Today, I called Rogers and had my old 8300HD PVR reauthorized, which took 45 minutes on the phone. After using the NB 3 for the last 3 months, it’s amazing how poor my memory is regarding picture quality. The first thing I noticed on the 8300 is that the HD picture is much sharper than the NB 3’s. With the NB 3, I had to turn up the sharpness on my display and now I’ve had to back it off again. One interesting thing with the 8300 is that ARC is now working. It didn’t work when the NB 3 was connected.

My plan is to stick with my 8300 for a few days just to confirm that the audio issue doesn’t rear its ugly head. I don’t recall it having any audio problems before I got the NB 3 and I was always perfectly happy with the 8300.

There are just so many things wrong with the NB 3. I really do like being able to record more than 2 programs at once. Also, I do like the new guide, although I know a lot of people disagree. It seems to me that Rogers rushed this box to the market without doing its due diligence. After 3 months of use, I can categorically state that, in my opinion, it’s not ready for “prime time”. I have a long list of bugs that I’ve documented as ammunition when I go back to the Rogers store to cancel my rental agreement. I signed up for the 3 year rent-to-own option, which locked me into a 12 month cable service commitment, which no one explained to me when I did the transaction. Accordingly, I’m expecting a hassle from Rogers when I tell them I want to cancel the rental without a penalty of any kind. I think it’s legitimate for me to demand it because the NB 3 is an unacceptable product for me.

Do any of you more knowledgeable guys know what to expect when I return the NB 3? Any sage advice would be appreciated as usual

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: Goodbye Nextbox 3 - It's Been a Slice

You'd honestly think Rogers would have a non PVR HD box (and no, not like the DTA50) with the latest tech that could be rented for $5/month or purchased for $89 so that folks could sit down and watch TV problem free. No firmware updates, no endless phone calls to tech support JUST hassle free TV.

Best of luck with your adventures. You and I think a lot alike.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
I'm a Senior Advisor

"You'd honestly think Rogers would have a non PVR HD box"

Um, they do.  The Cisco 4642.

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Hogwash:

Thanks for your comments. I'm not familiar with all of Rogers cable boxes. I didn't know there wasn't an HD non-PVR, although I admit to not knowing what the DTA50 is either. I definitely agree with your sentiments about watching hassle-free TV.

One of the things that surprised me many years ago was when Cisco bought Scientific Atlanta. I couldn't figure out why Cisco would want to get into the cable box business. In my opinion, Scientific Atlanta did a far better job with its boxes, like the 8300. Admittedly, they didn't seem to know much about user interface design. The SARA software has always left much to be desired, but at least the boxes are reliable and hassle free. My 8300 is 9 years old and has never given me a problem. I know lots of other people have had problems with them, though, so guess I just got lucky.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Lurker wrote:

Yup but SADLY, according to Rogers Hardware Full Details "Each additional room/TV requires a NextBox HD terminal networked with the NextBox HD PVR (professional installation required)."

Soooooooooo, definitely not the solution I was talking about. I'm saying we need a $5/month box per TV so the average Joe can just sit down, turn on the tube and not have to worry about all the technical stuff and DEFINITELY not be subjected to firmware updates. A simple decoder that has ZERO effect on regular TV channel changing speed or viewing preferences. An inline decrypter so to speak. NO second remote needed.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Hogwash wrote:

@Lurker wrote:

Yup but SADLY, according to Rogers Hardware Full Details "Each additional room/TV requires a NextBox HD terminal networked with the NextBox HD PVR (professional installation required)."

Soooooooooo, definitely not the solution I was talking about. I'm saying we need a $5/month box per TV so the average Joe can just sit down, turn on the tube and not have to worry about all the technical stuff.

In this case, your signature couldn't be more appropriate.

What you're quoting is the requirement if you want Whole Home PVR.  The terminal works just fine on its own as a stand alone.

I know.  I have one and use it as a stand alone box.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think what he is more talking about.. is something along the lines of the DTA, but in HD. (or even like the SD box, but HD).

At min, something which will allow channel changes to ANY digital channel.. just with no guide.
Or at most, something like the SD box which has the guide.. but nothing more, no other capabilities or whatever (to do whole home, etc).

This would be a great product, and Cisco as well 🙂
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps8611/ps8612/ps10771/7023333_a.pdf

Not quite a 'in line decoder'.. but closest to it. (not sure if i have ever seen one).

This would at least, likely never need software/firmware updates on it.. since no guide, etc.  Maybe the MOST is a new decription key, sort of thing.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

I think what he is more talking about.. is something along the lines of the DTA, but in HD. (or even like the SD box, but HD).

This would be a great product, and Cisco as well 🙂
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps8611/ps8612/ps10771/7023333_a.pdf

Maybe the MOST is a new decription key, sort of thing.

Excellent find Gdkitty. Let's hope someone from Rogers sees your post. This looks like something that might have mass appeal and get the job done problem free. Thanks for the link.

I'm an Advisor

I’m happy to report that my old 8300 is working fine and it was a pleasure to watch some good stuff last night without any issues, audio or otherwise.Smiley Very Happy

It was interesting to scan the 8300's Service Menu. It shows completely different signal strength readings from the NB. Generally, the dbmv reading is about -6, whereas on the NB they are always more like -10. Don't know what that means but, in both cases, the readings are white, which means OK. Also noticed the 8300's hard drive is a Maxtor, which is still going strong after 9 years.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Thanks GdKitty, for excellent product suggestion. May I suggest to copy this post to the IdeaBox (just in case)?