cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going from Family Plan to Solo Account while keeping number?

russ369
I Plan to Stick Around

I am currently on a family plan, I am looking to have my own account but keep my same phone number (same address, im not moving).

Can this be done, are there any charges that I have to worry about, and can I do this online through the Help Chat or do I have to call in?

Thanks.

Ultimately I want to switch over and get an i6, giving the stock issues since itll be a hot item, I wonder how feasible this will all be...

***Edited Labels.***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Going from Family Plan to Solo Account while keeping number?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would switch stuff around FIRST, before doing the pre order, etc.. might make things simpler..  That being said, orders have already started..

To change plans.. best would be to call in.. dont think they can do over chat. (that or go into a store).
To flip over to your own, would just be a change of ownership... anything still owing on the account, flex tab, etc will all just carry over.
They will just need to do a credit check, etc on you, to make sure your good to set up your own account.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would switch stuff around FIRST, before doing the pre order, etc.. might make things simpler..  That being said, orders have already started..

To change plans.. best would be to call in.. dont think they can do over chat. (that or go into a store).
To flip over to your own, would just be a change of ownership... anything still owing on the account, flex tab, etc will all just carry over.
They will just need to do a credit check, etc on you, to make sure your good to set up your own account.

Micolas
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hello russ369

Reserving a device now, prior to changing your services into your own name would not be a bad idea. By reserving the phone, you are only providing Rogers a more accurate idea of where they the need to distribute the units and in what volume. The 40$ deposit for reserving is returned/credited the moment the phone is sent to the store location, regardless as to if you go through with th hardware upgrade/new activation. Although if you do decide not to go through with the purchase after the phone is sent out, as a courtesy it's best just to give the store a call and let them know that you will not be picking it up. This would free it up sooner for someone else to purchase it had they not reserved one.

As for moving your services, there should be no charges but it would mean changing your plan from the share plan to it's own independant plan, or just the single line on a share plan. Just make sure the account holder contacts in prior to provide permission for you to move it into your own name.

Hope this information helps and wish the best of luck with switching your services into your own name. 🙂

I am just wondering if I will be able to do this my partner and I currently have phones on an account with our old roommate we would like to transfer the 2 lines into my name. The only problem I see us having is that I was told when I went to get a phone for myself that I had 2 pay a deposit and that I can only have 1 line because of my credit score. I am just wondering if because the lines are already active I can put them in my name and pay just a deposit.

@ShannonShaw

It will all depend.

Right now, while there are 3 lines on it, there is one person who is PRIMARY on it.

If that is not you or your partner... then when switching them over to your own account, they may do a credit check, etc on whoevers name it will be in.

As well, whoever is the main account owner, will have to be the one to initiate it.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation