Glitch: paused/rewound live tv skips forward to live

theClubHopper
I'm a Reliable Contributor

PVR: 8642HD

Software Version: 5.1.1.0104

UI Version: 3.1.5.24.04.09.11/28392

Classic Version: 51.10.01

Issue:

1) Was watcing live tv (Property Brothers on ch27, "W") that had been previously paused or rewound when a Tuning Conflict notification appeared on screen. I chose to cancel 1 of my 2 Scheduled Recordings so that I could continue to watch the program I'd been watching, by pressing DOWN, OK/Select on my remote. The program I was watching then skipped forward to actual live. I had to rewind to find my previous playback location.

2) Watching the same program, rewound now to about 10 minutes behind live, I decided I wanted to record then program, so I pressed the red REC button on my remote. "Scheduling..." followed by "Recording Started" appeared on the screen, but then my viewing was interrupted as it skipped forward to live.

Expected outcome: the program should continue playing back uninterrupted. It should not skip forward.

Repeatable: *NO* - I tried to replicate the glitch but was unable to get it to occur again.

I have never noticd this behaviour before, and I have often resolved Tuning Conflicts while watching previously paused/rewound live tv, and I've often used the red REC button on same, without issue.

Anyone else noticed this?

***Edited labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Glitch: paused/rewound live tv skips forward to live

RogersShaun
Administrator
Administrator

Interesting glitch! Hopefully it was just a one off as you weren't able to replicate it.

I've never seen this one before personally, but if anyone else has similar issues, please keep us posted!

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

The 8642HD can only record 2 shows while watching another recording, or record 1 show while watching live. It looks like at some point you were trying to do more than that.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

theClubHopper

@OLDYELLR wrote:

The 8642HD can only record 2 shows while watching another recording, or record 1 show while watching live. It looks like at some point you were trying to do more than that.

No, it doesn't (look like that) at all. I wrote that when the Tuning Conflict notification came up, I cancelled 1 of the 2 scheduled recordings. Tuning Conflicts come up *before* the conflict occurs.

ex:

@- @ 7:28PM, was watching ch27, about 10 minutes behind live

@- Scheduled Recording #1 was set to record ch523 @ 7:30PM

@- Scheduled Recording #2 was set to record ch501 @ 7:30PM

@- Tuning Conflict notification popped up @ 7:28(30s); I immediately cancelled Scheduled Recording #1

@- @ 7:28(40s) ch27 skipped from about 10 minutes behind live to live

Scheduled Recording #2, when it started, will have used whichever of the box's 2 tuners was not being used by ch27. There should have been no cause for interruption.

I remember seing this on my 8642.

I think its an issue.. that you would THINK.. that it should.. take what you are ON as job ONE.. try first recording as job TWO, then when it tries the next, that THAT one is THREE, and the default conflict/not starting, until you CHOOSE which one to drop.

I think the problem is that its likely taking the RECORDINGS as priority until the choice it made.. and then because they took preference.. its droping you LIVE on the TV channel.

theClubHopper

^ Thanks for confirming that the glitch exists beyond just my box.

re: your theory:

After it skipped to live, I was able to rewind back 10 minutes, or further - and playback from that point until the end of the program (32 minutes later) was seamless.

If at any point the tuner that had been on ch27 (the one I was watching) had switched to another channel in preparation of an upcoming Scheduled Recording, that would not have been possible.

Hmm true..

One thing i havent thought about much since i got my NB3, since there isnt the tuner issue 😛

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation