Gingerbread for Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Gingerbread for Captivate

The Virgin Mobile Vibrant is also getting it http://www.talkandroid.com/51837-samsung-galaxy-s-vibrant-gets-gingerbread-on-bell-and-virgin-mobile...

Why is Rogers always the last one to get updates?

Folks, if you're reading this, let's swamp this thread with requests for the update. If we get dozens of pages of angry Rogers Captivate users who feel ripped off because we don't get the updates WE'VE PAID FOR, then maybe Rogers will listen to us (and move their asses)...

Make yourselves heard and post below!!!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I do have to admit that it seems strange how Rogers is so far behind in this.

Google wants this done.  They don't like the OS fracture that is happening.   It is costing them, and app developers money for this to continue.   Samsung wants it done.   They are in the fight for their life with Apple and need to be on the cutting edge.

It seems clear to me that Rogers is still suffering from the iPhone and Blackberry centric thinking.   They need to see the future is NOT going to be Blackberry (unless Blackberry converts to Android).  It feels like the iPhone is strong, but the trend is that people are learning about Android, and buying it.  Yes, the sales staff like iPhone...  they know it, they have been trained on it.  That will change, and Android will take over.  

iPhone has two serious issues that will be fatal.   First is the fact that they can only release one phone at a time.  The second is iTunes, which has basically not changed in years.  The smartphone is no longer all about music.  

iTunes is sick when it comes to video, picture, messages, documents, and all most anything else not releated to music.

It will come down to the Product Managers at Rogers.  If they cannot see the future as a shift from iPhone/Blackberry to Android then they will (I promise) hit a wall and it will not be pretty.

I've Been Here Awhile

New version of KIES available on the Roger's/Samsung Site a few days ago ...... Probably in prep for the 2.3 rollout

I've Been Here Awhile

how long do i have w8 for this gingerbread update....i am tired of w8ing.........ROGERS U SIMPLY SUCK!!!!!!!!!

I've Been Here Awhile

its not like we have this phone for free :@ :@
I'm Here A Lot

Ok I talked to customer service on Wedesday. I was pretty ticked that even though I bought my captivate at a time when Bell didn't even have androids. They still got the gingerbread update before us. So she looked into it and told me that the update for us could come anytime within a couple of weeks

I Plan to Stick Around

You guys are wasting your time everytime you attempt to ask a Rogers rep when an update is going to be released for a phone. They don't know and will give you an estimated guess that could be possibly be accurate and could also be the very opposite of accurate. 

Like someone already said in this thread, Rogers has to wait for Samsung to release the update to them to release to you and the day any Rogers representative will find out about this information will always most likely be the same day it will be announced to the public.

I've Been Around

Its suppose to later this summer depending on carrier but samsung announced it.

I'm Here A Lot

Well said!
I've Been Here Awhile

As an AT&T agent I can assure you there is no offical release for their Captivate i897. Rather than complain about Rogers why not root your phones? The carriers each have their own specs, consider yourselves lucky as AT&T Captivate doesn't allow switching from 2 and 3G, their's is restricted more than yours and has more problems than yours.