Gingerbread for Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Gingerbread for Captivate

Anyone still having GPS problems with the new 2.3 android on the Rogers Captivate?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yes there is a problem with the initial lock.  I downloaded the app GPS status, and used it to get the first good lock.  It took a few minutes, and you have to be patient.  However it does seem to fix the worst of the the problem.  

Truth is the GPS on this phone has never really been very good.  

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks BuckMacklin! So you say that after the first lock, it works reasonably fine?

Anyone else still having problems? How is the battery life compared to 2.2?

I Plan to Stick Around

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jsirotto wrote:
This probably isnt a Software Version issue, but twice now where my phone is on, my screen wont turn on when i press the power button to turn the screen on.  When I hold the volume button, i hear the sound it normally makes. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I've been having the exact same problem since the update. The problem with updates on these devices is you never know whether you're going to end up with a better phone or a worse phone afterwards.

@aboyaci wrote:

Thanks BuckMacklin! So you say that after the first lock, it works reasonably fine?

Anyone else still having problems? How is the battery life compared to 2.2?

The GPS on this phone has never really been great.  From the start there were complaints.  After the first lock, it seemed to be back to what it was.  It is a shame really.  A great phone otherwise.

I think battery life is better with 2.3.3.  I have had a couple of times when the Facebook app left the GPS on for too long and it drained the battery.  There are more apps than ever using the GPS to report on your location.  That and WiFi really can suck back the power.  

I Plan to Stick Around

I agree with Buck. Once my phone was repaired, the GPS seems ok, but not great. Occassionally takes a while to lock. The battery life is much better for me on 2.3.3

I don't even find the wifi does much to my battery, but the GPS will definetly kill it quickly.

I have found that the Nav app hangs/Force Closes occassionally since the update.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have had lots of issues since upgrading to Gingerbread.  About once a week the phone reboots on it's own for no apparent reason.  About once per day it freezes and I have to remove the battery and boot it up again.  I've had it freeze when the screen is on and also when the screen is off (phone is sleeping).  It usually happens while the screen is on though.  Usually when I'm doing something too, like making a phone call.  Honestly, having a phone lock up when making a phone call is absolutely ridiculous.  Especially since it then takes like a minute or two to boot back up again.  Luckily it's never happened while trying to make an important phone call like to 911 or CAA or something.

I've Been Here Awhile

i've also had many issues since upgrading.

battery:

does a strange thing while charging.  when charging overnight, i'll often see that it is supposed to be fully charged, but upon disconnecting from the charger, it will immediately state 94% or 85%, once even 75%.  played around with it and made a strange discovery.  it seems that after it fully charges, if it remains plugged in, it then starts to discharge.  if i am watching it while it is charging and disconnect it from the charger when it reaches full, it remains full and discharges normally with usage.  if i leave it plugged in after it has fully charged, then disconnect from the charger in half an hour, or one hour, then it will progressively discharge.  this never happened before.

resets and freezes.

i've had at least a few instances where i've witnessed it resetting itself.  this happens while it is sitting on the table and not being used.  i suddenly heard the bootup sound and looked over to see that it had reset itself.  i've also noticed it freezing up more while in use (browser, maps)

gps:

this is horrible, though i don't think it is any worse than before the update.  tried gps test, gps status and some other apps.  problems obtaining signal and holding onto a signal.  it's pretty much always been useless to me while driving.  fortunately, it seems to work ok when i'm out running  and i use the mytracks app.  though, even with this, it takes several minutes to obtain a signal lock at first.  i have learned to start the app as soon as i walk out the door and have it obtain a gps signal lock while i'm stretching.

for these reasons, i am actually thinking of switching to the iphone, even though i really like android.  my wife's iphone never seems to have any of these problems.

I Plan to Stick Around

my GPS was garbage too, but only after the update. I sent it for repairs and they had to replace the mainboard. It seems to work fine now, no problems locking, and it's pretty consistent. Most of the time I can even get a lock indoors.

Don't switch to an iPhone... you will simply have different problems.

Buy new fresh batteries foir your phone on eBay.  They sell for less than $5 each with shipping.

That will solve your battery issue.

Reset your phone to factory.  That will fix your reset problem.  It takes 15 minutes.  

IF that doesn't solve the hardware issue, then get your phone replaced / repaired as it is on warranty.

The GPS thing is an issue with the phone (not android).  Get a new Samsung android phone and that will clear it up as well.