Gingerbread for Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Gingerbread for Captivate

I always keep my wifi off unless Im using it at that given moment. As soon as Im done using it, I turn it off.  I keep my GPS off all the time because I dont have a data plan so its useless.  I know all the tricks to save battery life (those mentioned, as well as dimming the screen, closing unused apps, uninstalling unused apps, etc. I even keep my  Data Networking Mode turned off unless Im using an app that needs it.) The fact of the matter is that the battery life is just not long enough on this phone anymore. I had no issues with 2.2 Froyo when it came to battery life, infact I was very impressed with it, and I never had to use these "Battery Life Saving Tactics" with Froyo, nor should anyone ever have to if you spend hundreds of dollars on a phone.  If I dont see some sort of fix for this, or another firmware update in the near future, this phone will take the same path as my iPhone 3G, and I will definately not buy another Rogers phone.  Im under Fido, so my SIM card will work on Rogers phones, thats why I picked this Galaxy S.  Next time I will be much better off unlocking whatever phone I buy and using it, because Im definately not happy with the service from Rogers.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

jsirotto,

I am looking for where you say you tried a new battery.  Did I miss that post?   If you havn't, then you are starting to sound like a guy who keeps filling the air in the tire in his car, even though it keeps losing air.

IF we accept that most users found an increase in battery life after installing GB.  And if we accept that batteries are inconsistant in quality.  And if we accept that sometimes batteries fail to hold a charge as well as they did when they were new.

Then it is't the phone, it isn't Samsung, and it isn't Rogers.  It just might be a battery that isn't holding a charge as well as it once did.   People all over the world are having this problem with digital cameras, laptops, notbook, tablets and of course smartphones.  

Batteries are sooooo cheap.  I just bought a couple more and they cost $3.25 each with free shipping.  

I have three Captivates in my family and one Nexus S.  They all have extra batteries.   Life is good.  Don't waste it freaking out about your battery.  

If you mail me your address I will send you a brand new one.  

If that doesn't fix your problem, then maybe you have a point.   But seriously... the chances are that it is just a battery that is not holding a charge anymore.

I've Been Around

The GPS on my captivate was locking in matter of seconds woth froyo. after i upgraded to GB it didnt lock even after a minute.
what i did was that i downloaded "gps status" app and ran it once. From that time on my gps is locking quickly again, sometimes even indoors. I have no idea why or how running that app is fixing my issue. hope this help others.
I'm Here A Lot

@derisavi wrote:
The GPS on my captivate was locking in matter of seconds woth froyo. after i upgraded to GB it didnt lock even after a minute.
what i did was that i downloaded "gps status" app and ran it once. From that time on my gps is locking quickly again, sometimes even indoors. I have no idea why or how running that app is fixing my issue. hope this help others.

What probably happened to your device was that as you were flashing a new ROM, your GPS record was deleted. For any reason, if your phone was trying to download GPS data directly from GPS satellites only, that may take at least 5 to 10 minutes to get the new satellite schedules. What you probably ended up doing with your app is that you used aGPS to download pre-recorded schdule through your 3G network. Good to hear that you were able to fix your issue like that because I've seen a few who tried aGPS and still couldn't get their devices to work.

I'm Here A Lot

I have a problem with connecting to some USB ports after upgrading. Namely a USB hub on my desk and the Uconnect USB port in my Dodge. When I plug in the home screen changes to the USB mass storage connection screen (normal) then when I press the "Connect to PC" button the screen cycles between the home screen and the USB connection screen until I unplug it. It does not mount the drive. Never had this problem with 2.2.  

I Plan to Stick Around

This probably isnt a Software Version issue, but twice now where my phone is on, my screen wont turn on when i press the power button to turn the screen on.  When I hold the volume button, i hear the sound it normally makes.  When I plug it into the charger, i hear the sound it normally makes when doing that, but the screen remains black and theres no way to get it to turn on, other than taking my case off, taking the battery out, and putting it back in and turning it on again.  It has happened twice now in the past mont.  Has anyone experienced this before?

I Plan to Stick Around

@jsirotto wrote:

This probably isnt a Software Version issue, but twice now where my phone is on, my screen wont turn on when i press the power button to turn the screen on.  When I hold the volume button, i hear the sound it normally makes.  When I plug it into the charger, i hear the sound it normally makes when doing that, but the screen remains black and theres no way to get it to turn on, other than taking my case off, taking the battery out, and putting it back in and turning it on again.  It has happened twice now in the past mont.  Has anyone experienced this before?

Ditto! Pissing me off, happens nearly once a week to me since the update. Although i hadn't tried volume or plugging it in, just couldn't get the screen to light up untill I pull the battery. I have also found if you leave it long enough it eventually just restarts on its own. I am going to try a factory reset when I have the time.

I Plan to Stick Around

same problem here.

I've Been Here Awhile

Are there people still having GPS issues with the Captivate android 2.3?

I Plan to Stick Around

Just browsing some xda forums, and came across a neat feature.  When your phone screen will not turn on, instead of taking the case off and popping the battery in and out, try holding the power button + volume up button for 10 seconds. This will reboot your phone automatically.  I just tried it from my home screen and it works.  I havent tried it yet when my phone screen wont turn on, but the next time it happens, Im definately trying this.