Gingerbread for Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Gingerbread for Captivate

I understand that. But this issue only started as soon as I updated from 2.2 to 2.3.

So for arguements sake, say it is my battery that is the problem.  I guess that would mean the update to 2.3 damaged my battery.  If I can find a brand new battery somewhere I might pick one up, if it doesnt work I will just return it.

I Plan to Stick Around

js - Don't know if I will be able to post links, but ebay has them pretty cheap:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OEM-Samsung-CAPTIVATE-SGH-i897-VIBRANT-SGH-T959-Battery-/230675866241?pt=PDA_...

That one works out to about $13.50 CDN. There's other ones that are even cheaper. I think I saw one for $3 w/ free shipping. Worth a shot I suppose.

Failing that, I would be giving Rogers a call, as I'm assuming your still under warranty (although your battery won't be), or even contact Samsung directly: 1-888-751-4078

I'm a Reliable Contributor

>> that would mean the update to 2.3 damaged my battery.

Actually it could be just a coincidence in the timing.

I Plan to Stick Around

Check your battery stats before getting a new battery... Is android OS taking up a high percentage of your battery? 2.3.3 was leaked months before rogers pushed it and it was BRUTAL for bugs etc.. one of them being horrible battery consumption due to "android system"

Don't worry android .2.3.5 is running nicely and has way less bugs.. maybe rogers will update to that eventually

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the post about quick pic. Way better than the gallery.

I'm Here A Lot

- Caller doesn't here  me: can someone test this problem for me? -

Hi,

If 3G is on, unless 3G dataplan is active, if I receive a call the caller cannot hear me. E.g., if I get a call while 3G is on, and there is an active wifi connection on the phone, the caller doesn't hear me. If I switch back to GSM or switch wifi off, the problem disappears. 

(This happens to the second Captivate I received from Rogers: the first was replaced as that time all what I observed was that callers didn't hear me. When I received the replacement, the problem continued, but this time a Rogers phone rep lead me to test the phone while 3G was off.  FYI: iPhone doesn't experience the same problem at the same location.)

Is this a generic problem or it is my bad luck with repeat defects.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

- Phone freezes out completly if official Skype is downloaded

Hi, has anyone else experienced a similar problem.

I received a replacement phone about a three weeks ago. The phone came with Froyo and I downloaded GB right away. Within the first week, my phone froze out four-five times. I was told by Rogers to test the phone without apps. I tested the phone for more than a week and experienced no problem. Three days ago I downloaded skype and the phone froze completly. There is no other apps on the phone beyond the factory/Rogers set and I was not using skype at the time the phone froze. (I was signed in)

When the phone freezes, it doesn't react to anything: if there is a call coming in, then it rings but I cannot answer it.

Do you think this is a phone defact?

Cheers

Spoiler

I Plan to Stick Around

If it worked fine until you installed Skype, it sounds like an issue with Skype. Try uninstalling Skype - it doesn't have to be running to cause problems. Try installing a few other apps and see if you still have the problem.

If it's Skype, you should get in contact with the developers. It looks like many people are complaining on the Skype website that it crashes and freezes with Gingerbread.

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=727053

I'm a Reliable Contributor

>Thanks for the post about quick pic. Way better than the gallery.

Well, Gallery syncs with Picasa, and shows your Picasaweb pictures.   I like that.   But in many ways quickpic is very nice. 

I've Been Around

For people who says battery life is really bad, please check some stuff first.
If GB has this GPS issue of not locking and your GPS is active, there is a good chance it will use up more battery trying to lock all the time.
As well as the WiFi option to shutdown the WiFi when the phone goes into sleep mode....this has to be setup again if you upgrade your phone. Leaving WiFi on all the time will kill your battery.