Gingerbread for Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hmm
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Gingerbread for Captivate

@jimrebello, I havent noticed any improvement in battery life with Gingerbread.
Hmm
I Plan to Stick Around

Is anyone getting twlauncher errors since updating to Gingerbread? Never had this issue before. I did a factory reset but the issue seems to  happen regularly.

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

Hmm - I have been having Twlauncher errors as well. They didn't seem to affect the actual functionality though. I sent my phone in for repairs, as I have been having other issues.

I won't get into the ordeal that sending it for repairs turned into.....

ArtP
I've Been Here Awhile

TwLauncher errors

I have noticed these as well but mainly (only?) when I am using the Android Market. Never saw them before upgrade to Gingerbread..

I had to re-build my phone yesterday (due to a problem with the GPS posted earlier) and have not seen this re-occur (so far). That might be the fix for this.

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Battery issues....  Look this is an issue for the new electronics decade.  Every cell phone, laptop, netbook and tablet can have this issue.  

There are things you can do to increase battery life.  Use a simple wall paper (not live), sync email/facebook/twitter less often, shut off bluetooth and wifi when you are not using it.

HOWEVER, the best thing to do (IMHO) is get more batteries.  I carry a fully charged battery with me, and once or twice a week I have to swap it in.  You know on heavy use days.  In your case the battery you have might not be holding a charge well.  

These batteries and wall chargers are very cheap and available.  You might spend $20 and solve the problem once and for all. 

User swapable batteries is one of the biggest advantages of this phone.  The iPhone don't do that... 

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

Buck - My battery life was substantially better with GB, even without using any techniques to increase battery life. I have this little USB charger thing, I think it's from Duracell, that works quite well as a portable charger when I'm on the train.

However, I didn't need it on GB, because my battery life was so much better. I'm not why it seems to be so inconsistent, but I'm guessing it's due to the particular settings/apps installed on each persons phone.

ArtP - Now the GPS issue worries me. Rogers told me the only fix is to send it for repairs. Something tells me that it's a software issue and they need to be made aware of that by more users.

BuckMacklin

Jim,

My post was directed at the people having battery issues.  I have personally noticed an improvement as well.

RE: the GPS issue...  have you tried any of the standalone GPS apps?  I use GPS Status (free).  That is what will help you see if it is a software issue.  

I was having trouble as well with my GPS and GB... specifically with Google Maps (Latitude).  Once I used GPS status, and it took a long time to lock the first time...   it now seems to work better.  But still not as good as I would like.

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

buck - Seems odd that the battery issues are so hit or miss. I just mentioned it given your mention of needing an extra battery. Not a bad idea and definetly something you can't do with an iPhone!

I did try GPS status, as well as GPS Test, etc. None of them made a difference. My phone was occasionally seeing one or two satellites but couldn't get a lock. When it was working for a few days after I did a Factory Reset, I would get 7-10 sats within about 5-10 seconds. I was lucky to get a lock after 20 minutes. Not sure what the problem is, but seems to be happening to a few people. Never had any problems with GPS locking on FroYo.

Someone mentioned that Samsung is aware of the issue and plans to release a software fix. I'm not holding my breath, which is why my phone went to the shop.

When I said software issue, I should have said Firmware. I think it's a problem with the build of GB that was released. I wouldn't be surprised if an update comes in the next little while.

I also own an EVO 3D, and LG Eve and an HTC Magic. No problems on any of those. The Evo is running 2.3.4 rather than 2.3.3 though, and the Magic runs 2.1 and Eve 1.6, so maybe that's it.

jsirotto
I Plan to Stick Around

I know that an extra battery really is a great feature to have compared to an iphone. But I have a case on my captivate that i dont want to take on and off every day to change batteries.  The fact that my battery held so much better using 2.2 Froyo and that ever since I updated to 2.3 Gingerbread, my battery is draining significantly.  That is definately a software/firmware issue.  Especially since I have fewer apps running under 2.3 because I did a factory reset and didnt reload every app I had under 2.2.

What Im trying to say is I shouldnt have to buy extra batteries to have a decent battery life. I shouldnt have to do anything extra to have a battery last an entire day. This is a 500$ phone, there is no reason why I should have to do ANYTHING for a battery to last all day. Im barely using the thing!  It used to last 2-3 days without recharging on 2.2 when I used it as little as I do now.

2.3 has been a downgrade IMO still.

Samsung and or rogers needs to address this.  Or else i will do the same thing I did with my iphone when I got fed up with bugs not being fixed.

Sell

BuckMacklin

Batteries are a chemical mixture, with tiny little wires in it.  Sometimes the battery gets damaged (heat usually).

That is just the reality.