Gingerbread for Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsirotto
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Gingerbread for Captivate

I tried doing the calendar force sync. I clicked the gmail account,  UN checked Sync Calendar, and checked it again.  It looked like it synced again, but when I load up calendar and try adding an event,  i get the same message:

"New Event - Google calendar cannot sync with Samsung Kies. Use My calendar to sync with Kies"

I click OK.

then I get this message:

"New Event - Local calendar does not sync with Google Calendar.  If you want to sync with Google, please add Google account"

I dont understand that because I have a google account setup in my Accounts and Sync.

So I tried removing my google account from my phone (I clicked Remove Account)

I get the message:

"Do you really want to remove this account?  removing it will also delete all of its messages, contacts, and other data from the phone. Proceed?"

I clicked Remove Account and got this message:

"This account is required by some applications.  You can only remove it by resetting the phone to factory defaults (Which deletes all your personal data).  You do that in the settings application, under Privacy."

So I take it I have to reset my phone to factory default settings.  What do I need to backup in Kies so i can easily put it back on my phone after I reset my phone to factory defaults?

And what exactly do I lose when I reset my phone to factory defaults?

Thank you

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

jsirotto - Factory Reset will wipe anything that is stored on the internal memory of your phone. You should make sure that all your photos, music, etc is on your external SD.

You can use a program in the market called Astro to back up and then reintall your apps you'll have to make sure that the backup directory is your external SD, not the internal SD card. You can also back up your texts using SMS backup and restore. Same watchout for using the external card.

If you have your google accounts synced for calendar, contacts, etc, it will re-sync them once you put your account information back in once the reset is done.

You will have to redo launcher settings and your home screens. 

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

This will reset your device to its original state. While your media content (photos, music, etc.) will not be deleted from the SD card, applications and their related data will be uninstalled.

Before the factory reset, make sure that your contacts are synced to your Google account by logging into Gmail from a computer and verifying if your contacts appear there. If your contacts are not synced, then I recommend updating your sync settings at Settings > Accounts and Sync and choosing either AutoSync or touching the account you would like to sync and choosing "Sync Contacts."

Along with syncing contacts, please back up any important application data and/or settings by navigating to Settings > Privacy  and selecting "Back up my data'"and "Automatic restore."

To perform a factory reset:

1) Go to Home > Menu > Settings > Privacy (or Phone storage; depends on the device)
2) Press "Factory data reset"
3) Press "Reset phone" (or "Reset tablet")

After you perform the factory reset, make sure you sign into your device with the same primary Google Account you were using before.

jsirotto
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok so I backed up all my applications using Astro. I synced all my contacts with my gmail account. I reset my phone. I loaded all the applications back onto phone (Thank you that astro app was very useful)

I did lose all of my memos (luckily I wrote them down assuming I would lose them), some of my contacts (I dont know why because I did sync it with my gmail account first) and Im currently getting my phone back to the way it was before the reset.

From what I have noticed, the phone is a lot faster and more responsive.  The calendars issue was still there after I reset my phone, but I now have the option to ignore the error message.  I ignored the error messages and tried adding an event on my gmail account through my computer and sync it with my phone. It worked. So I guess the error message was false, because the syncing seems to be working with the calendar now.  Im not sure how the battery is, I guess I will have to wait a day or so to notice a difference.  If I have any more issues I will post them immediately

Thank You for your help

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

Hopefully it fixes your battery issues as well. If it doesn't, call Rogers and raise **bleep**.

groovomata
I've Been Here Awhile

If I want to reset my phone to factory settings, how one back up their photos to their sd card? I've backed them up to my computer but I would to keep some of them on my phone.

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

groovomata - you can download an app from the market called Astro - it lets you copy files from one to the other. The other option, it to connect to your computer in mass storage and simply drag the files from the internal card to the external.

groovomata
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you, I did that and successfully moved my photos, reset my phone to factory settings to see how much my battery life may be extended.

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

I have found a significant increase in battery life using Gingerbread, so hopefully it works for you as well.

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

It appears that my GPS is starting to act up again. I'll see on the way home today, but yesterday it took 30 minutes to get a lock. This morning it took about 5-10 minutes.

I think I'll be putting a call in if the problem persists.