Gingerbread for Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Gingerbread for Captivate

WiFi doesn't come on on its own: this is a frustrating change from 2.2 to 2.3.

In 2.3, if datanetwork is on, wireless doesn't turn on on its own: e.g. I come home, and even though my home wifi network is on, my phone is still using my dataplan until I manually activate Wifi network. This wasn't like this in 2.2.

Any remedy for this?

Cheers

I Plan to Stick Around

thbc - This sounds like it might be isolated to certain people and not widespread. Mine connects no problem as soon as it's in range.

I saw a board on android forums for the N1 that seems to have people commenting on the same issue with Gingerbread, and even Froyo.

http://androidforums.com/nexus-one/285289-n1-wifi-issues-solved-gingerbread.html

I Plan to Stick Around

Has anybody else noticed that in Froyo you could tap anywhere on the screen and it would activate the four capacitative buttons? That no longer seems to work with Gingerbread... it was a handy way to find the buttons when you were using the phone in the dark.

I Plan to Stick Around

nicracine it sounds like your csc file is borked. you can flash the official rogers update via odin, there is a link to it on xda forums in the dev section.

I personally recommend not flashing the rogers update because android 2.3.3 is garbage. I'm currently running android 2.3.5 which was recently leaked. Not sure why all the big phone companies are releasing old firmware but hey... at least we aren't with AT&T they are still running froyo.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I wouldn't say that 2.3.3 is "garbage". I'm seeing vast improvements in battery life and the lag is almost completely gone. This update it like having an enirely new phone.

I Plan to Stick Around

I switched from the Iphone 3G to the Galaxy S Captivate about 5 months ago.  At first I was very pleased with this phone.  Then I read about all the other carriers getting their Gingerbread update way before the Captivate did through Rogers. I was looking forward to the Gingerbread update because I figured it would improve my phone even more.  Boy was I wrong.

This is what I have noticed with the Gingerbread update:

1) Captivate buttons no longer light up when I touch my screen.  This was usefull when using the phone in the dark.

2) My battery life has been reduced SIGNIFICANTLY now. I heard all about people having battery life problems with FROYO, I had none with FROYO.  Gingerbread was a downgrade to me in terms of battery life because this is much worse now.

3) The Phone is much faster now, that is a good thing.

4) Startup/Bootup time is much faster now, that is a good thing.

5) My Power button is less responsive now. Sometimes it does not work. Have to press it twice for screen to turn on. Never had any problems with FROYO.

6) The vibration when pressing a captivate button is weaker now, I can barely feel it now when I press one of my captivate buttons.

7) Calander brings up a message now saying it cannot sync with Google or Kies anymore when adding an event. This never happened with FROYO.

Those are the major differences I have noticed.  I would have been happy just staying with FROYO to be honest. My phone wasnt that slow to begin with to warrent an upgrade just for that. Everything else has been considered a downgrade between the two versions. If anyone has any information on how to safely downgrade back to FROYO (Without rooting and flashing the phone), it would be greatly appreciated.  Or if anyone has any information on when Captivate gets the next firmware upgrade and what version that would be.

Thanks

I Plan to Stick Around

jsirotto - Most users are reporting significantly improved battery life with Gingerbread, including myself. Maybe you have an app installed that Gingerbread doesn't like?

I agree that the bottom buttons not lighing up is a bit wierd. Although I personally didn't even notice it until it was pointed out.

You could check your battery usage and see what is killing it so quickly, in settings - about phone

You might want to try a factory reset, I had some major issues with GPS when I first upgraded. Factory reset solved everything and my phone is perfect now.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

jsirotto,

Let's start with the battery.   Recharge the battery with the phone on, as you usually do.  Once it gets to 100%, power down the phone, pull the battery out and put it back in.  Then charge the phone while it is off.  It might take 10-20 mins to get to 100% again.  Only when it does get to 100%, power up the phone again.   You should see a serious increase in battery life. 

I would buy some new batteries.  One of the advantages this phone has over the iPhone is user replacable batteries.   You can find them very cheaply on eBay.  Fact is that older batteries will not hold a charge as well as new ones.   This is true with the iPhone as well.   Only difference is that you have to send in the iPhone to replace the battery.  

Now the sync with Calendar issue.   I assume it is google calendar.  Go to the Settings, Accounts and sync menu.  Take a look at the Google account. you can press the Sync Calendar check mark and UN check it.   Then press it again to force a sync.   If that still gives you an error you can remove the entire google account sync, and then add it back again.   This will renew the sync with everything that is Google.   If that doesn't work, let us know the actual error message.

The Power button has a lag sometimes that is caused by the phone being overwhelmed by some background multi tasking.  In your case it might be the Calendar Sync error.  So it might clear up if you fix that.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Jimrebello - What will the factory reset exactly do? Will I lose all of my music/photos/videos/apps/launcher settings/calander events/etc? Or does it just reset the settings?

I Plan to Stick Around

Buckmaklin - Thank you, I will try both the battery charge and calander advice