Gingerbread for Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Gingerbread for Captivate

I got Gingerbread. The new Swype keyboard now has a microphone button but it does not activate the talk-to-text feature.  Is anyone having this issue?  Is there a way to update Swype on this phone? The other programs and samsung keyboard using talk-to-text work without problems

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

, I am using the stock gingerbread keyboard too,and it is very nice. The word prediction is superior to any other keyboard I have used.

ezbake, I had to do the same thing after I rooted the stock gingerbread install. Something messed up the gps with the new kernel. Eventually it got stuck in a boot loop. The stock 2.2 rom version wasn't being detected in Kies, so it was back to 2.1. Kies then recognized the version and upgraded twice to 2.3. Now, to find a better root...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

When will we get an official 2.3.4 update? 🙂

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

tekha: If you continue to have problems with your GPS, you may have to do a factory reset. This happened to me.

You can get an app called GPS test from the market. It will tell you how many satellites are visible, and if you are connecting to them, etc.

It has a little light in the top left corner, if it's yellow, it's not working right. It should be green if your GPS is locked. It shouldn't take more than 30 seconds for your GPS to lock in Nav.

Mine was taking up to 20 minutes, and then would be inconsistent. Factory reset fixed it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm running an official 2.3.4.

So the other question that needs to be asked...

Which phone are you talking about?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Captivate. the official Rogers release only went to 2.3.3.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

>, is that because I am off the Rogers network

No it can't be that, as I am using the Shaw network in Winnipeg.
I've Been Around

For those not happy with the default samsung or swype keyboards that come on  the Captivate, I very heartily recommend Hacker's Keyboard that is free from the Android Market.  Has all the features of the stock gingerbread keyboard but also has arrow keys and fully functional Alt and Ctrl keys with excellent text prediction suggestions.

Get it, you won't regret it.

Edit - Btw, I too have found my phone to be much snappier and more responsive since updating.  I'm very pleased with it overall. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

My gps was working adequately on 2.2, then after update to 2.3.3, not working at all. Also, tried factory reset with no improvement. Any suggestions?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

unfortunately the Factory reset fixed it for me, but I did have the same problem. Give Rogers a call and see if they will send you a replacement?