cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread for Captivate

CanuckMackem
I Plan to Stick Around

I see that Gingerbead is coming for Captivate so any ideas when we will see it for Rogers?

***edited labels***

266 REPLIES 266

Re: Gingerbread for Captivate

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

Nic: are you using a Rogers captivate or an AT&T one?  Try doing a search for Odin. I understand that works very well for updates.

I have a Rogers Captivate. I used Odin to get back to the 2.2 stock ROM, but as I understand, there is no Odin package for the 2.3 update, is there?

Jdodds
I Plan to Stick Around

Just a thought, does Odin lag fix when flashing back to stock? If you are not sure check your phone storage, should be 2gb total and like half that if it is lag fixed.

I found kies wouldn't connect to my lag fixed stock rom. But I never flashed any alternatives, so I don't know the process of going back to stock to get the update to work.

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around
Sorry nic I wasn't aware that 2.3.3 wasn't available on Odin. I have heard that lag fix is a solution if your phone is lagfixed as jdodds said.

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around
Hi all just did a factory reset and seems to have fixed my GPS issues. Glad it was a relatively simple fix.

I just checked, and I have 1,79 Gb of storage, sot it should not be a problem. Is it possible the update has not been deployed to everybody yet?

ShadNuke
I Plan to Stick Around

I am currently travelling in the USA and have a Rogers Captivate and I live in Winnipeg. Kies wont connect to my phone, is that because I am off the Rogers network...... I am not sure.....

kaydub15
I've Been Here Awhile

I unrooted an updated my Captivate on rogers. So far so good, like the update. 2 minor nags though:

1. You lose the Daily Briefing app - which was the only bloatware app I actually used.. figures.

2. I haven't been able to root again with SuperOneClick. I'm sure you can re-root with another method but seems its going to be harder than it was to root Froyo (i'm not very techincal) 

If anyone know a good tutorial on how I can re-root my phone, please share.

Overall the update was a million times easier to install than the move to Froyo was.

tekha63
I'm Here A Lot

No problems with update to 2.3.3. Only timed out once. Comparing to Galaxy S2 with 2.3.3 noticed two things that didn't change. No Gingerbread keyboard with the punctuation on the main that is supposed to be included. Secondly the email program does not have the folder selection set up the same.  If anybody knows how to get the new keyboard I'd appreciate it.

Other notes: the GPS seamed to take a while to connect but I've only had it one day and the weather was crappy. Like the fact that the dialer screen stays on the last tab used so now I don't have to use an extra keystroke to get to my favorites and the three choices for the silent button on the pull down menu are nice.

Red_Wolf
I Plan to Stick Around

After doing the upgrade to Gingerbread I decided to do a factory reset last night... The phone has dramatically increased in speed. I noticed an improvement (from Froyo) before doing the reset.. but now - it's like a completely different phone.

I recommend giving it a try.

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

Samsung replaces the stock keyboard with their own, but you can install the stock android keyboard:

http://androidadvices.com/how-to-install-gingerbread-keyboard-on-galaxy-s/

I'm using it now. Works great.

ezbake
I've Been Around

I also have seen a dramatic increase in the speed of my Captivate phone after the upgrade to Gingerbread,

Before doing the upgrade, I had issued with KIES not recognising the firmware of my phone to do the upgrade ( I had played around with some ROMs). I had to downgrade to Eclair (2.1) then upgrade back to Froyo and finally gingerbread. The stock Rogers Froyo (2.2) didn't work for me.

I used this programme to flash to eclair:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=944418

rocketman
I've Been Here Awhile

I got Gingerbread. The new Swype keyboard now has a microphone button but it does not activate the talk-to-text feature.  Is anyone having this issue?  Is there a way to update Swype on this phone? The other programs and samsung keyboard using talk-to-text work without problems

pwickens
I Plan to Stick Around

, I am using the stock gingerbread keyboard too,and it is very nice. The word prediction is superior to any other keyboard I have used.

ezbake, I had to do the same thing after I rooted the stock gingerbread install. Something messed up the gps with the new kernel. Eventually it got stuck in a boot loop. The stock 2.2 rom version wasn't being detected in Kies, so it was back to 2.1. Kies then recognized the version and upgraded twice to 2.3. Now, to find a better root...

pwickens
I Plan to Stick Around

When will we get an official 2.3.4 update? 🙂

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

tekha: If you continue to have problems with your GPS, you may have to do a factory reset. This happened to me.

You can get an app called GPS test from the market. It will tell you how many satellites are visible, and if you are connecting to them, etc.

It has a little light in the top left corner, if it's yellow, it's not working right. It should be green if your GPS is locked. It shouldn't take more than 30 seconds for your GPS to lock in Nav.

Mine was taking up to 20 minutes, and then would be inconsistent. Factory reset fixed it.

Stagger
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm running an official 2.3.4.

So the other question that needs to be asked...

Which phone are you talking about?

pwickens
I Plan to Stick Around

Captivate. the official Rogers release only went to 2.3.3.

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor
>, is that because I am off the Rogers network

No it can't be that, as I am using the Shaw network in Winnipeg.

DandyDan
I've Been Around

For those not happy with the default samsung or swype keyboards that come on  the Captivate, I very heartily recommend Hacker's Keyboard that is free from the Android Market.  Has all the features of the stock gingerbread keyboard but also has arrow keys and fully functional Alt and Ctrl keys with excellent text prediction suggestions.

Get it, you won't regret it.

Edit - Btw, I too have found my phone to be much snappier and more responsive since updating.  I'm very pleased with it overall. 

mindinmotion
I've Been Here Awhile
My gps was working adequately on 2.2, then after update to 2.3.3, not working at all. Also, tried factory reset with no improvement. Any suggestions?
Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!