Gingerbread for Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Gingerbread for Captivate

Just a thought, does Odin lag fix when flashing back to stock? If you are not sure check your phone storage, should be 2gb total and like half that if it is lag fixed.

I found kies wouldn't connect to my lag fixed stock rom. But I never flashed any alternatives, so I don't know the process of going back to stock to get the update to work.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry nic I wasn't aware that 2.3.3 wasn't available on Odin. I have heard that lag fix is a solution if your phone is lagfixed as jdodds said.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi all just did a factory reset and seems to have fixed my GPS issues. Glad it was a relatively simple fix.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I just checked, and I have 1,79 Gb of storage, sot it should not be a problem. Is it possible the update has not been deployed to everybody yet?

I Plan to Stick Around

I am currently travelling in the USA and have a Rogers Captivate and I live in Winnipeg. Kies wont connect to my phone, is that because I am off the Rogers network...... I am not sure.....

I've Been Here Awhile

I unrooted an updated my Captivate on rogers. So far so good, like the update. 2 minor nags though:

1. You lose the Daily Briefing app - which was the only bloatware app I actually used.. figures.

2. I haven't been able to root again with SuperOneClick. I'm sure you can re-root with another method but seems its going to be harder than it was to root Froyo (i'm not very techincal) 

If anyone know a good tutorial on how I can re-root my phone, please share.

Overall the update was a million times easier to install than the move to Froyo was.

I'm Here A Lot

No problems with update to 2.3.3. Only timed out once. Comparing to Galaxy S2 with 2.3.3 noticed two things that didn't change. No Gingerbread keyboard with the punctuation on the main that is supposed to be included. Secondly the email program does not have the folder selection set up the same.  If anybody knows how to get the new keyboard I'd appreciate it.

Other notes: the GPS seamed to take a while to connect but I've only had it one day and the weather was crappy. Like the fact that the dialer screen stays on the last tab used so now I don't have to use an extra keystroke to get to my favorites and the three choices for the silent button on the pull down menu are nice.

I Plan to Stick Around

After doing the upgrade to Gingerbread I decided to do a factory reset last night... The phone has dramatically increased in speed. I noticed an improvement (from Froyo) before doing the reset.. but now - it's like a completely different phone.

I recommend giving it a try.

I Plan to Stick Around

Samsung replaces the stock keyboard with their own, but you can install the stock android keyboard:

http://androidadvices.com/how-to-install-gingerbread-keyboard-on-galaxy-s/

I'm using it now. Works great.

I've Been Around

I also have seen a dramatic increase in the speed of my Captivate phone after the upgrade to Gingerbread,

Before doing the upgrade, I had issued with KIES not recognising the firmware of my phone to do the upgrade ( I had played around with some ROMs). I had to downgrade to Eclair (2.1) then upgrade back to Froyo and finally gingerbread. The stock Rogers Froyo (2.2) didn't work for me.

I used this programme to flash to eclair:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=944418