Gingerbread for Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Gingerbread for Captivate

I didnt un root when I did it...also does anyone out there know why I cant upload video to google plus? I got the new update and it doesnt show how to do it.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I updated two phones so far, with zero issues.

If you have a problem with Kies recognizing your phone there are some steps to check.

First you have to use the special USB cable that came with the phone.   I know it is weird... but most usb cables don't work.  

Second, you need to redo the drivers.  It is a menu choice in Kies.  

Third, you have to make sure that the little cover on the USB port of the phone is open all the way.  It really can be slightly closed and interfere with the tiny USB contacts.

I'm Here A Lot

Well I am really liking 2.3.3 so far but I just hit a snag. Looks like that awful 30mb cache limit for installing apps is still in there. I can't install anything larger then that. Very disapointing!!!

Plus side my battery life feels like it doubled... 

I'm Here A Lot

No FF camera: the ultimate reason I chose Galaxy was that the Rogers sales rep confirmed that Captivate did have FF cam....

I'm Here A Lot

To those who updated already:

- Was your phone rooted?

- Have you been able to root your phone afterwards?

I really want to update, but I count on using Titanium Backup to install back my apps, so I need root.

Thanks!

I Plan to Stick Around

I was rooted (using SuperOneClick) but decided to unroot before doing the gingerbread upgrade. Have not attempted to root the phone now and not sure if I will bother. I'm pretty sure the procedure is different at Gingerbread.

I've Been Around

@ Jdodds: THANK YOU! I have been going insane trying to figure out why Kies would not connect to my phone for the update. I tried everything with Kies (reinstalling Kies, the drivers....even cleaning registry entries)  and also on the phone (unrooted, tried a million setting changes and resets, etc). The problem was One Click Lag Fix! Un-lag fixed and it worked instantly. Spent HOURS trying to solves this....can't believe I didnt think of that earlier.....THANK YOU!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Nic, there should be no problem for you to upgrade while rooted.  Just know that 2.3.3 will not be rooted.  There is also a method to re-root after  the upgrade.  It involves a kernel swap that uses FuGU to root.

I accomplished the root on one of my friends phones, no problem.  Got Titanium Backup to work and everything.  Look me up on XDA forums (same name) if you require further information.

2.3.3. runs great, you should get on it soon 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

@thbc wrote:

GB is running fine except one bbbig disapointment: front facing camera. I though the indication was that with gb, i would be able to use skye video like on iphone.

Is ff camera supposed to work at all?

I mean it seems Captivate does have an ff camera. Does it?

Dude, the Captivate (Rogers or AT&T) do not have front facing camera.  The hardware just isn't there.  We get audience chip support instead 🙂 and a TouchWiz that defaults the homescreen to the center (fourth on) instead of the first one... .sheesh.

However, the latest Skype does allow Captivate to complete video calls.  It uses the rear camera as the video feed.  So you would have to stand in front of a mirror or something 🙂 Works well though.  Anyone who told you Captivate has front facing camera was mistaken....... For these types of questions I generally like to look it up on www.gsmarena.com  They have lots of details that the reps don't know.

Good luck with the update.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Pooch11 wrote:

I tried the regular Samsung Kies but it won't recognize my phone. When I googled that topic I read stories about people having to format the internal SD card for it to finally read the phone! So i'll eliminate that option. I'd rather just get a rom at this point and follow a step-by-step guide instead.

Although the Rogers and AT&T Captivates are mostly hardware equivalent, there are software elements that differentiate the two.  Specifically, the CSC which is different between a Rogers SGH-i896 and an AT&T SGH-i897.  AT&T captivates are still on Froyo (KB1 I think) and will not get the Rogers GB update.

If you absolutely need Gingerbread ('cause it kicks Froyo butt), then hit up XDA Forums, go to the Captivate developer section and lookup instructions to install latest unofficial 2.3.4 GB for Captivate.  Runs smooth and easy to do.

The standard disclaimer here is you need to read and understand the risks, no one but yourself is responsible for anything that may go wrong. Always backup before doing anything.  I am simply responding for your information here.

Good Luck!