Gingerbread for Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Gingerbread for Captivate

Here's one annoyance - in the gallery if you click on a picture and click "share" the list of share options pops up and out horizontally (whereas it was vertically on Froyo). The result being that half it is off screen which means its unuseable. rotating the phone on it's side helps little but the list is still somewhat cutoff.

The share functionality used to work so flawless and now it kind of blows.

I Plan to Stick Around

I've not done this myself but you could try:

http://www.samsunggalaxysforum.com/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-rooting/how-to-root-your-device-spoonfeeding-...

The poster who wrote that generally really knows his stuff with this phone. (He's talking about the international version so not sure if its valid for captivate also)

I'm not sure if I will root this time around - LauncherPro gives me most of the UI customiztion options that I would want anyways.

I Plan to Stick Around

I use QuickPic (Android Market Link) instead of the default gallery. It is free, faster and doesn't have the problem you are describing.

I Plan to Stick Around

There is a kernel-swap method using odin. just google it for some instructions. just remember, it may void your warranty 🙂
I'm Here A Lot

GB is running fine except one bbbig disapointment: front facing camera. I though the indication was that with gb, i would be able to use skye video like on iphone.

Is ff camera supposed to work at all?

I mean it seems Captivate does have an ff camera. Does it?

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi everyone. I've tried through Kies Mini but it's telling me I'm on the latest firmware version. I've upgraded to 2.2 through Kies and didn't have a problem.

I'm on root btw although I don't think that matters. The phone is an AT&T Captivate unlocked running Froyo.

Any reasons why it's not giving me the update?

I'm a Reliable Contributor

No that captivate does NOT have a front facing camera.   My understanding is that all the electronics are there and a FF camera could just plug in... like a hardware upgrade of some kind....

But there is no camera there... 

I Plan to Stick Around

@pooch11 your problem might be the fact you have the at&t captivate and not the rogers version. also if possible try to use the regular kies instead of kies mini not sure if it'll make a difference but might?
I've Been Here Awhile

I tried the regular Samsung Kies but it won't recognize my phone. When I googled that topic I read stories about people having to format the internal SD card for it to finally read the phone! So i'll eliminate that option. I'd rather just get a rom at this point and follow a step-by-step guide instead.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Do I need to un-root before updating? Also, any other hints? I had a really difficult time on the last update. For example, I didn't realize the external sd card had to be removed. Any tricks like that to this update? Thanks!