Gingerbread for Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CastroLeRobot
I've Been Around

Re: Gingerbread for Captivate

I have tweeted about this in the past 2 weeks and 2 Rogers reps actually replied saying it is Samsungs fault.

I think this is a load of bull.

The fact is, Rogers is the last worldwide to get the update. Whether Samsung doesn't give Rogers priority or Rogers doesn't pursue the issue with Samsung is not important to me as a customer. I bought a phone from ROGERS. I didn't go with a discount provider because I expect high quality service. Whatever the reason, if the service I buy is not provided, I will simply change my provider. This is officially my last contract with Rogers. 

Don't Rogers marketing people care about being the last worldwide to get updates? What does that say about you?

Nitin
I Plan to Stick Around

12.5 hours remain in this summer lets see if samsung can deliver on their promise or not.

@rogersbuzz news.softpedia.com/news/Android-2… Will you deliver on your promise for an update@samsungcanada before end summer? ~12 hours remain!

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

It is not pleasant, but it is the truth.  I am sure Rogers doesn't like it, and I am sure they would prefer to update.

Rogers has to support the phone, and we know that 2.3 has important bug fixes.   Support is much easier if you don't have the fracturing that multiple versions of the OS causes.

There must be a reason for the delay.  I am sure it is not becasue of a lack of desire on the part of Rogers.

With that said, this is still a really great phone.  I am still very very happy with it.

max_overdrive
I've Been Around

via twitter sept 14

@SamsungMobileCA any word on the rogers captivate 2.3 update? summer is almost over!

@maxoverdrive There's been a bit of a delay. Please stay tuned. Thanks for your patience!

SamsungMobileCA Samsung Mobile CAN 
@ 
maxoverdrive jamie pate 

behrangmi
I Plan to Stick Around

Anybody knows if the upcoming update's gonna be 2.3.3 or 2.3.4? there are links that approves 2.3.4 for captivate has leaked on the web! even you can DL the unready version.

A friend working with Samsung Marketing at TO confirms it is 2.3.3 and said it would be out two days ago! on Touesday but that never happened.

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

No one here know the exact date, but I am sure it will be soon.
MaKavelii
I'm Here A Lot

My money is that GB will be released for our Captivates a little bit after the Galaxy S II is released by Rogers and AT&T.  Only thing that would make any sense at this point.

outcastrc
I'm Here A Lot

My brother was able to update his Rogers Captivate to 2.3.3 through Kies this morning. I have been trying myself but am not having any luck.

Zizo0727
I Plan to Stick Around

Can anyone else confirm Rogers Captivate SGH-I896 has update through Kies to GB?

I really really really hope it is not 2.3.3.  While it holds merit over 2.2 (the GUI tweaks alone).  It really doesn't even come close to the speed and awesome-ness of 2.3.4.  I have seen them both in action there is no denying 2.3.4 is best update so far.

C'mon official update, I am tired of using laggy 2.2.  In my opinion TouchWiz ran a lot better on 2.1.

Rogers sucks for this delay.  They did the same with 2.2.  They always advertise for being the first to everything, but there is no doubt they come out last in the race.  They quickly let their technology age and don't keep up.  They were the first with Andoid phones in Canada..... now look, all the cool new Android phones are coming to Bell, Virgin first (Hint hint wink wink)  ..... what a shame.

For those people waiting for contracts to finish, depending on how much you are fed up with Rogers, you can always offset the cost of terminating contract by selling the captivate.  If you sign contract with Bell you can get cheap phones (the Vibrant is super cheap and has front facing Camera and waaaaay faster updates).  Or Jump to the SGS II that Rogers doesn't even have yet....... again, what a shame.

davidshihdavid
I've Been Around

confirmed!

updating as we speak

from kies