Gingerbread for Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Schwinn
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Gingerbread for Captivate

Rogers constantly is behind the 8-ball with updates.  They were for the last two, and now this one.  To make it more frustrating, I got an e-mail from Samsung telling me to upgrade, and when I click the link, I get this--

http://pages.samsung.com/ca/androidupgrade/English/?LID=EM_HAOffer_1109_EN_22&MKM_RID=8101637539&MKM...

Being someone who is a tech weenie who loves gadgets, I know I'll be looking elsewhere at the end of my contract.  Between this and the fact that the features I need on my phone not working, and the other technical issues I've had, I've had enough.  And it's only been 10 months.

andy
I Plan to Stick Around

So bell has upgraded their Galaxy s.....so when is Rogers going to update the Captivate???? The SGS II is also out on every other carrier and  the captivate still does not have the 2.3 update??? Please get this updated!!!!

erbsmokah
I Plan to Stick Around

still not out on US carriers. Rogers isnt that behind on the 8ball.. Put custom software on your phone and stop complaining lol.. Seriously.. wah

jimrebello
I Plan to Stick Around

The point is that you shouldn't have to put custom firmware on your phone. Just because the US carriers are handling things just as badly, that doesn't make Rogers any better.

I don't understand what the hold up is with the Captivate (whether here or in the US), when every other captivate model already has Gingerbread.

Schwinn
I'm Here A Lot

It is a pretty stupid arguement on two fronts.  First, why should I have to root my phone (and void my warranty) to get an available update?  And secondly, regardless of whether US carriers have it or not (which several do), what bearing does that have on Canadian carriers?  We can already see that the two markets are not related, given that the US market is much more competitive and user friendly in every way, including choice, costs and service.  Tell you what, give me the same options as any US carrier, and I will gladly "quit whining" about updates.  I know, I know...it doesn't work that way.  Never does. 

littlewing11
I've Been Around

I have to say first that, however this may come off, I am NOT defending either Rogers or Samsung. Now, having said that... I have been waiting for a couple of months now for the Gingerbread 2.3 update for my Captivate same as everyone else here. I have read all the posts, cheering all the people who are "going to be looking for a new carrier" when there contract is up. I WANT THIS UPDATE!!! 

Tonight I went to both samsung.com & samsung.ca trying to see if there might be a way to get this update now. There is only 1 small problem... wait for it.... IT DOESN'T EXIST FOR THE CAPTIVATE YET!!! That's right people. It exists for most, if not all, other Galaxy S phones, but not for the Captivate. Don't believe me? Go to either samsung site (.com or .ca) and look up the specs for the captivate. The highest OS right now is 2.2. THIS SUCKS!!! I'm not sure where people are finding that the 2.3 Captivate (not any other Galaxy S phone) update, is available through any other carrier. Because according to Samung, the 2.3 update for the Captivate doesn't exist yet. PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG BECAUSE I DON'T WANT TO BE RIGHT ABOUT THIS!!! 😞

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Samsung needs to upgrade their phones to Gingerbread.  There is a court in the Hauge who has demanded it.

Google wants to make Ice Creme Sandwich to be the single OS for everything.   Fragmentation is bad, we are seeing the end of this fragmentation...

Soooooooon.

Schwinn
I'm Here A Lot

alaxy S is all the same model, regardless of whether it is the Captivate, Fascinate or Vibrant. Each carrier gets thier own unique permutation of the same phone. The processors, however, are identical. There is no reason why one flavour Galaxy can't have the same OS as the others. I can't help but wonder if it is due to carriers disabling or "corrupting" certain features in order to be able to gouge clients (tethering comes to mind as a good example).

I have to say, after having few issues with Rogers with my internet, cable and home phone, I have had nothing but issues since signing up for wireless service. I guess the monthly phone calls to correct errors has lowered my frustration tolerance.
Krrax
I Plan to Stick Around

Robbers. I wouldent expect an update ANYTIME soon.

ArjunR
I Plan to Stick Around

^^^^

I agree that all carriers should push out upgrades the same time.

However for whatever reason they dont.

I'd suggest rooting.

There is almost zero risk. These phones normally don't break during the warranty period.

Rooting and flashing custom roms has more benefits then just upgrades. you get better optimized Roms (more speed, more free ram, etc.).

There is almost zero risk in flashing Roms, yet greater reward.

You might want to check out XDA Devs for tutorials on how to root you phone and put a new rom on it.