cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gingerbread for Captivate

CanuckMackem
I Plan to Stick Around

I see that Gingerbead is coming for Captivate so any ideas when we will see it for Rogers?

***edited labels***

266 REPLIES 266

Re: Gingerbread for Captivate

Nitin
I Plan to Stick Around

Telus has just released there update today. http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/08/19/telus-samsung-galaxy-s-fascinate-3g-upgrade-to-os-2-3-3-now-availa...

I just posted @RogersBuzz and @SamsungMobileCA twitter maybe if we all spam them with the same question we'll finally get a response! 

voseyvo
I'm Here A Lot

So, if Bell got their GB update last week and Telus got theirs today, it must have been released to Rogers - but still we wait.

Hamburgler
I've Been Here Awhile

This is a joke.

We've been waiting months for this essential upgrade and it appears we are literally the last carrier in the last area of the world to not have 2.3 Gingerbread.

The ladck of BT dialing is simply unaccaptable.

BGrant
I Plan to Stick Around

I've had enough of waiting for Rogers to interface with different mobile carriers for updates.  My next hardware upgrade will be purchased outright from an American provider, and shipped to Canada.

This will eliminate Rogers bloatware, and it will eliminate the little "tweaks" put into the Rogers hardware. (Like the removal of the audio chip in the Captivate).

It will also allow me to get updates as fast as the Americans.

This will also allow me to stop signing contracts with Rogers.  I think this is clearly the way things need to go.

You can do that??  I've been wanting to do something like that, but wasn't sure if using an AT&T phone would be compatible.

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Once unlocked, it should work.   I suppose you can still get an expensive phone from Rogers, and then sell it on eBay to help reduce the cost of the phone you buy...

Actually you'd be surprised to hear that Telus pulled their update.

My friend updated his phone with 2.3 then found out that Telus revoked the update and it wouldn't work on his phone after.

But this is quite the annoyance that Samsung (NOT ROGERS) can't get their crap together.

I think it's a Samsung issue... and you should all take it up with them.

ShadNuke
I Plan to Stick Around
I'm going to look for an unlocked phone on my trip to the US. If you buy a phone outright from a store it's usually unlocked. If it isn't, the manufacturer has to provide an unlock code for it. Here in Canada, Rogers charges 50 bones for the unlock code to your phone. It's a bit of a cash grab considering in the states they get em for nothing. I'm done with the bs on the Canadian phones, so next time it's an unlocked phone for me.

ac251
I've Been Here Awhile

I unlocked my Rogers Captivate a few months ago before I took a trip to Europe.

No problems whatsoever.

Used cheap SIMS from Orange & Lebrara over there.... Not an issue .

Unlocking is a piece of cake.

Of course, there are plenty of Gingerbread roms readily available for the Captivate.

And yes, unlocking the Captivate is also super hella easy. 🙂

erbsmokah
I Plan to Stick Around

pay an american carrier 500 bucks for the phone or get it from rogers for free on a 3yr term and flash your own software with the click of a button. Your call.

For what its worth, Im sure the delay with the 2.3 update is the battery drain bug it comes with.

Oh and rogers has way less bloatware than the american carriers... You can also uninstall it with titanium backup.

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Well, there has been a court decision, that is going to force Samsung and Google to update all the phones to 3.0....

The Dutch court Judge threw out almost every point that Apple made, except for a small bit that is in the picture viewer.  The judge noted that iot was changed after 2.3, and 3.0 has code that does NOT infringe.

So Samsung has to update all of the shipping phones to 3.0 before a date in October.

Again, all of the "look and feel" stuff that Apple was complaining about was thrown out.

dnavia
I Plan to Stick Around
gingerbread has been unoffically out for captivate for months now. check out the XDA developer forums. keep in mind, it requires some tech know-how, and you do risk soft-bricking your phone. Make sure you are under warranty before attempting to load custom OS's on your android.
I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.

Umm im pretty sure rooting your phone voids your warranty so, you would want to make sure you are OUT of warranty before trying to load a custom OS. 

BlackSideburns
I've Been Here Awhile
I asked the Samsung Mobile Canada twitter account and they said it will be released "later this summer" summer is almost over....

mtaylor
I Plan to Stick Around
This is getting stupid going into sept and still nothing?

dnavia
I Plan to Stick Around

I thought it voided it as well, but i've sent two android phones (both rooted) for repair, both came back fixed.

In any case, unrooting is incredibly easy to do.

I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.

erbsmokah
I Plan to Stick Around

Flash the rogers software back onto your phone and voila! warranty unvoided.

Oh and FWIW, No US carriers have rolled out 2.3 for the captivate yet so Rogers is not behind.

Vishal123
I've Been Around

Its sucks being member of Rogers. Rogers talk about best in canada for this for that but it does not know how to keep the current cusotmer. It seems like roger paying more attention to new customers and phones than providing good and up to date service to old customer. I been with Rogers for more than 8 years and its all most final if dont get honeycomb on my capative I wont be buying anymore Rogers phone Period!

Its shame rest of the world has the updates and being one of the best coutry in the world we have to face this situation...... I hope somebody in Rogers really cares about his customer other wise as we can see Rogers wont be number one in near future. Rogers wake up and bring updates to old customers..

MaKavelii
I'm Here A Lot

Why does everyone blame Rogers?  It's really Samsung that is dragging their feet.  I rarely check anything on this site for anything in regards to my device.  Kies is what lets me know i'm good for my update.   I only stumbled upon this thread as I googled the release date for 2.3. 

Jdodds
I Plan to Stick Around

Because it IS Rogers holding up the update! Do you honestly think Samsung execs sat around one day and said "Lets update every galaxy s variant except that one in Canada!". Besides were those of you defending Rogers not around for the Magic\Dream fiasco? I gave up and rooted my Magic....

Which brings me to another point, please stop posting telling us to just root. If those of us following this thread wanted to root, we would be looking at an entirely different forum thread. We all know that we can root and have unofficial, buggy, no hardware accelerations for video gingerbread. But we are here because we want news, information leaks etc... on the Official Gingerbread release date. </rant>

Thanks!

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!