Gingerbread for Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Gingerbread for Captivate

I unlocked my Rogers Captivate a few months ago before I took a trip to Europe.

No problems whatsoever.

Used cheap SIMS from Orange & Lebrara over there.... Not an issue .

Unlocking is a piece of cake.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Of course, there are plenty of Gingerbread roms readily available for the Captivate.

And yes, unlocking the Captivate is also super hella easy. 🙂
I Plan to Stick Around

pay an american carrier 500 bucks for the phone or get it from rogers for free on a 3yr term and flash your own software with the click of a button. Your call.

For what its worth, Im sure the delay with the 2.3 update is the battery drain bug it comes with.

Oh and rogers has way less bloatware than the american carriers... You can also uninstall it with titanium backup.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Well, there has been a court decision, that is going to force Samsung and Google to update all the phones to 3.0....

The Dutch court Judge threw out almost every point that Apple made, except for a small bit that is in the picture viewer.  The judge noted that iot was changed after 2.3, and 3.0 has code that does NOT infringe.

So Samsung has to update all of the shipping phones to 3.0 before a date in October.

Again, all of the "look and feel" stuff that Apple was complaining about was thrown out.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

gingerbread has been unoffically out for captivate for months now. check out the XDA developer forums. keep in mind, it requires some tech know-how, and you do risk soft-bricking your phone. Make sure you are under warranty before attempting to load custom OS's on your android.
I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Umm im pretty sure rooting your phone voids your warranty so, you would want to make sure you are OUT of warranty before trying to load a custom OS. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I asked the Samsung Mobile Canada twitter account and they said it will be released "later this summer" summer is almost over....
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

This is getting stupid going into sept and still nothing?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I thought it voided it as well, but i've sent two android phones (both rooted) for repair, both came back fixed.

In any case, unrooting is incredibly easy to do.

I am a Rogers employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Rogers or its affiliates. Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Rogers mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue de Rogers ou d’une société de son groupe.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Flash the rogers software back onto your phone and voila! warranty unvoided.

Oh and FWIW, No US carriers have rolled out 2.3 for the captivate yet so Rogers is not behind.