Getting rid of cable altogether

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Enthusiast

Getting rid of cable altogether

Recently, my wife and I have discussed dumping digital TV altogether.  To keep this "technical", can anyone tell me, technically, what value you get out of anything on TV?  I have been watching movies (DVDs) and Netflix (movies, tv shows) way, way more than I watch anything on digital cable.  What I like about Netflix is that, if they have a TV show in their offerings, it's EVERY episode, not just the last 2 or 3.

I just can't see a (technical) reason for sticking with Rogers Digital Cable at all.  I may keep basic, but that's about it.

***Edited labels***

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Getting rid of cable altogether

That'll likely be a future trend, more reliance on internet and less on tv. We have what maybe, 4 to 10 shows we may watch? Netflix and iTunes can solve the urge to see those shows especially with the ability to watch all the episodes you'd like. 

The value you get out of TV is nearly nothing, the reason there is TV in some sense is advertising space as we the consumer are being advertised to. 

Say you invest in an Apple TV or have a console, you can stream netflix right off of that on your TV and say you watch 5 shows a year and it's not on Netflix, you can simply rent or buy off of iTunes and get an entire season from 40-50 bucks and that generally equates to a Rogers cable bill right? So you get to watch the shows you want whenever and as much as you want that way. 

Doesn't take a genius to realize cable isn't really needed, if only bandwidth wasn't such a pain :). 

Rumour has it Apple will let you watch all your iTunes purchases through Apple TV, it's either already implemented or by the fall latest. 

Cheers

I'm a Senior Advisor

The reasons I keep my cable (yes they are lame)
- news
- live sports
- not enough bandwidth left to watch more netflix/itunes

Besides those 3 I really don't have a better reason.. Once I can get NHL Center ice Streaming directly from the NHL or from my local team (since I only want their games anyways) and can stream over apple tv or my ps3... Then I'll be down to news (which really I could just read) and the bandwidth issue...
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

i know a boat load of ppl who switched to net flicks and apple tv, and every time I ask them "did you hear on the news about so and so", they tell me they dont get local news with their internet tv subscription and wish they had an over the air antenna just for that.

everyone has different needs, hope u find out if u really need local signals or movies, its really up to you

I Plan to Stick Around

I've been having the same discussion with my wife of late. The ever-increasing fees for ever-diminishing services and ever-increasing ad content have really driven our appreciation of TV much lower. We don't watch sports, cartoons, the music stations, or children's stations, so we pay for a lot of airtime that's wasted on us. 

A lot of the programming on stations we used to enjoy watching, like Discovery or History Channels, has degraded to mindless pop fluff like Ice Road Truckers and ghost hunter silliness, so we never watch them anymore. BBC Canada is a lame joke - and we can't get BBC America which has all the good dramas and comedies we want to see.

In fact, aside from perhaps about a dozen channels out of the 300 or so, we never even turn to the rest and resent paying for them. We dislike the way the system defaults to Channel 1, we don't like the clumsy way we have to get to the onscreen guide, we don't like the increased volume of commercials or the five-to-six minute breaks for ads in every show. So why are we keeping cable TV?

Good question and one we're in the midst of deciding ourselves. I think I know what we'll decide in the next month.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@ichadwick I can't solve most of your complaints but for the default channel 1 that's an easy solve. Hit the settings button twice, in here look for the 'Viewer:Power On' and set it to 'Last Channel' or which ever channel you'd like.
I Plan to Stick Around

I'll try that solution, thanks. With the CRTC forcing CBC to go digital (how bloody Stalinist of them!), I think we're seeing the end of antennna- based TV. So I may not be able to drop cable for rabbit ears - just drop cable for DVDs and Internet news and viewing instead.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

You can get a digital converter box and still get all those channels just in digital. All the switch does is use less of the bandwidth so they can use it elsewhere. Your tv may already support digital, if not you can get a box at most electronics stores...
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The conversion to digital is also forcing them to vacate the 700 mhz uhf spectrum where tv channels used to once exist. This spectrum is being auctioned off for cellular services. they cant give new cellphone frequencies unless all the tv channels vacate the spectrum.