cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting far too much Spam....WHY

normac
I'm Here A Lot

In the last 2 or 3 weeks Rogers 'spam' has been all messed up.  I am getting soooooooooo much of it and so are my friends that are on Rogers.  Not only that but people I hear from on a daily basis are now being put into the spam folder.

With the price we pay for internet I don't think I should see one piece of spam in my inbox or vise versa.  Gmail is free and they are so awesome at separating the spam from the real stuff.

I find this unacceptable.  This is what happens when you lay off 100 people

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Getting far too much Spam....WHY

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

WHen it is putting something in there, usualy the spam is sent there, not off of the EMAIL address, itself, but the content of it.

So marking a particular email as not spam, it may teach the filter a little about the content of that one, that it may not grab something with that content again.. it may block something else from that user, with different content. 

The rogers yahoo mail doesnt have a whitelist, but often by putting that persons email address into your address book (if you havent already) will do the same thing as a whitelist.. and always allow it.  You could always set up a filter, to make sure everything from that address goes to a certian spot.

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

matooa
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been having this exact same problem, and it is very annoying. It is all coming directly to my Inbox and not going to Junk like it used to. AND the most interesting part is that almost 95% of these emails are from xxxx@yahoo.com. I've started to individually block these email addresses, but that obviously doesn't help since they're always from a new yahoo account it seems. I would block the @yahoo.com domain name altogether (which would probably do the trick), but I am quite active in their Fantasy pools and have a few friends that use Yahoo! for email addresses. It is very annoying waking up to 15 new emails, 90% of which are spam. I go through them deleting them so quickly that I'm bound to miss a real one sooner or later and block it from coming through to me altogether in the future. Smiley Sad

PLESAE HELP!!!

normac
I'm Here A Lot

I have friends and relatives all saying this same thing so there has to be a problem with Rogers' servers.  They need to address it beccause my contract is coming up for renewal with Rogers in a couple of months so maybe I'll have to switch.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Is it select people?? You think if there was something wrong, we would be hearing ALOT more people complain about it?

There always is a small percentage which makes it through the blocker

I have not noticed any extra spam at all.

Really in the end.. the only safe email address.. is one that you NEVER use 😛 (and even then, if they use a spam bot that just puts random prefixes on, you could STILL get something).  Even if you for once never sign up for anything with an email address.. only email other people..
All it takes is that other person to have you in their address book.. then them get hacked/virus... and now your email address is out there an who knows who has it now 😞

It is possible your emails were farmed from somewhere.. and the just sheer volume now is making it past.

Well whatever the reason its not good.  People I am in contact with on a regular basis are  being put into spam instead of my inbox.  I could see that if I nevere heard from these people but I hear from them daily and sometimes more than once a day.  Maybe you aren't hearing complaints because I had a **bleep** of a time finding this forum.  LOL

lensman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Well, I came here to make this very complaint and found this thread going so thought I'd add my two cents. Yes, FAR more Spam (actually FRAUD and PHISHING emails) are getting through than normal. There are far too many people around the world who actually do fall for this stuff and some even up up losing everything they own leading to depression and even suicide. Rogers, do your bit and shape up to get things back to the way they were. It really can't be difficult to automatically monitor bulk emails for the signs of fraud.

G

Unless they start fully filtering them... say going by the full headers and seeing where the source location is.
(Say.. its a fake UPS.com email... and the header says its comming from china.. so thats LIKELY a fake.)... it will be difficult.

MUCH spam filtering, is based of email content.

Thats the problem with alot of phishing emails.. the content LOOKS legit... (sometimes bad spelling, but often ok).

The risk comes down to, that if they start blocking TOO much, peoples legit emails may start getting blocked too 😞

lensman
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Fair enough, but Rogers was doing a good enough job in the past, so why the change now? Why are so many getting through? This needs to be addressed.

G

Well, its likely not 100% rogers either.. since rogers does theirs through Yahoo.. its likely yahoo who controls the spam filters.

I myself, have not noticed a HUGE increase.

BUT.. the few that do come through, that i know are phishing ones (BMO, UPS, SCOCIABANK, PAYPAL)...
I have noticed one thing inherrant in many of them.

Alot of them are CHEATING the filters, likely. 

When i get them on my iphone, on the email listing, i have is show the first 2 lines of the body... they come up as <no message body>  But when you go in, oh look, it looks like there is a message body.  Alot of them are putting in one big image (or multiple) that looks like the body of a normal email and link, but the whole thing (or image maped only part of it) is a link.

Any text filter, cant filter text in an image either 😞

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Agreed  - when it comes to email, I think Rogers is at the mercy of Yahoo! I did notice this article though from Yahoo stating that they are rolling out Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting and Conformance, a specification spearheaded by major technology providers and email senders to collectively fight spam and phishing.

http://www.ymailblog.com/blog/2012/06/yahoo-mail-now-dmarc-compliant/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medi...

Hopefully, it will have an impact on Rogers email too!

Well I started this thread and I just want to say it is still happening and getting worse.  They put real mail in spam and spam mail comes through to my inbox.  This is really annoying.  Doesn't matter whether they are in my contacts or not.  I'm really getting fed up but I guess Rogers doesn't monitor this forum very well because they aren't saying a word.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How often do you use your email, to sign up for web pages, etc?

This seems the primary method of people getting emails for spam, the lists are sold, etc.
Myself and many others i know, now have a 'sign up' email, just for this reason 😞

Other than that... as myself and someone else did futher up on the threads, rogers kind of has their hands tied in this.   They can pass this on to Yahoo, but other than that, its not something they can fix themselves.
Other than leavng yahoo.. but thats a whole other kettle of fish as well.. MUCH change to be made, software, hardware, etc.. wouldnt be instantanious either.

I don't usually sign up for anything.  My question is though if I get an email from my sister and it goes into spam, I click on it and say "NOT SPAM" but when I get something else from her at a later date it will end up back in my spam.  Not always but sometimes.  Whatever is doing it or whomever I don't know but never had this problem until just the last couple of months and its very annoying.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

WHen it is putting something in there, usualy the spam is sent there, not off of the EMAIL address, itself, but the content of it.

So marking a particular email as not spam, it may teach the filter a little about the content of that one, that it may not grab something with that content again.. it may block something else from that user, with different content. 

The rogers yahoo mail doesnt have a whitelist, but often by putting that persons email address into your address book (if you havent already) will do the same thing as a whitelist.. and always allow it.  You could always set up a filter, to make sure everything from that address goes to a certian spot.

speediedee
I've Been Here Awhile

Interesting that the only ones not seeing increased spam are "NOT a Rogers employee"!

Hmmm... coincidence?

Would you like me to send you a letter from my boss here at the company where i work?   I can do that if you would like. 😛
Trust me, i am NOT a rogers employee.  I am paying way too much for my services to be an employee.

(the disclaimer is there just to make people aware..i have had people PM me on the forum here, thinking i AM one, because i answer alot)

I myself, have not really seen an increase in spam, no.
BUT.. for years, i have been getting 20+ spam a day.. its normal for me.  So no, i am not seeing an increase to like 30 or anything.
But my email address, is ancient with rogers.  Our household was actualy on the BETA test for the first rogers highspeed (rogers WAVE, with the 128k high speed modem!), so its been around since then.. so likely on many spam lists for a long time.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
you are more than welcome to see a letter from my boss as well here at the company where i work incase you do not believe me.

Rogers_Kate
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

This thread is getting a little off-topic. Let’s bring the discussion back to the original post.

Also @speediedee the forums are a customer peer-to-peer network but we do have a dedicated full-time staff that moderate the community and a group of trained Employee Ambassadors who answer customer questions. All moderators and ambassadors will have a signature that reflects their status as an employee.

Thanks!

Rogers_Kate

angelus_025
I Plan to Stick Around

In the past few weeks the amount of spam email I am getting has syrocketed.  Dozens and dozens every day.  How does this garbage still get through Rogers' filters?

For every way that they come up with new things to block.. spamers find a way AROUND it.

Most of the 'spam' i receive (that doesnt go into my spam box) is all from legit businesses.  Clothing, department stores, etc.. usually all ones that i have an account with, so they have my email, etc... (but can unsubsbribe from).

What type are you receiving?

The BIGEST thing i have found of places using to get around spam filters.. is IMAGES.
Make your spam add one big image (full of text, etc), but that the whole thing is an image, which then is a URL link.
A spam filter, cant READ the text on the content of the image 😞

hiho
I Plan to Stick Around

just my 2 cents wrth as a long time rogers internet user i have found that as far as spam goes i get maybe 4 or 5 a week sometimes none..so it seems to me that the rogers mail servers filters are doing a good job for me.

Topic Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 11 in conversation