cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting copy of text message history

wlooghost
I've Been Here Awhile

Where there are two people on the same Rogers account, with different cell phones and numbers, is it possible to get a copy of the other user's text message history?  Will Rogers provide that information?  Does anyone know?  Thanks.

***edited labels***

30 REPLIES 30

Re: Getting copy of text message history

amy2000
I've Been Here Awhile
ok, thanks for letting me know.

There are Android apps that save your messages periodically.

I use one called SMS Backup which saves my text messages to my google email. They appear, as if by magic every two hours, in amongst my email messages (conveniently, with the google mail label SMS applied).

Sarnia
I've Been Here Awhile

It sounds like it may be possible to obtain the text message contents if appropriate legal action is initiated.

We have a car accident situation in which we strongly suspect the other driver who caused the collision to have either or both been drinking and driving (the police officer would not perform a breathalyzer test despite being told of the smell of alcohol on the other driver's breath) and/or possibly texting (since there was no noise of screeching of brakes before her being hit from behind while stopped at the red light).

We understand that we cannot directly obtain such information for privacy reasons. However we were wondering if, shortly enough after the event such as around now, if we were to provide Rogers with the Rogers cell phone number of the other driver and the date and time frame of the accident if there were any text messages captured by the network, that they be saved by Rogers somewhere secure before being erased, thereby buying time to see if appropriate authorities can and will eventually request to see such information.

So, again, we know the other driver's Rogers cell phone number (confirmed through social media), the date and the approximate time of the accident.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Sarnia

Unfortunately the only way to obtain that information is from a court order which Rogers has to follow. So until then Rogers can not release any information on someone else account or texts unless a judges gives them the court order to do so.

Sarnia
I've Been Here Awhile

I am not asking Rogers to release any information in advance of a possible court order. I am not even asking them to confirm for me whether or not there were ANY text messages to/from that phone number in around that time frame (let's say 30 minutes before and after the approximate known time of the accident). I am not asking to be told ANYTHING prior to a court order POSSIBLY being issued.

Here is what I AM asking.

Given that RogersMaude (moderator) posted on this thread on ‎04-06-2015 saying, among other things "This means that you may not necessarely get the content of the text messages received, however you will get the details of the correspondence with time and phone number". To me "may not necessarily" suggests that it MAY be possible to get the text message contents. Given that I am an engineer who has written software for telecommunications products (not for SMS messaging gateways), I can't help but do things like quick google searches and see that products like http://www.celltrust.com/products/celltrust-secureline/ are available that support logging and archiving text messages.

My engineering mind gets to thinking things like, could it be that text messages are archived securely (very tough to get at, only by select employees executing on court orders) but are only kept within a relatively "short" period of time (days or weeks, not months as RogersMaude wrote, given storage capacity constraints). For a "major" event (murder?) I bet that a court order would come within weeks, not months. I a case like ours, I expect that months would elapse and that information may be erased by then. I HOPE that there is a way that an appropriately authorized Rogers employee could save messages for a brief time period (1 hour time period to follow my example above) from a number I specify in a secure vault before such detailed information may otherwise get deleted (what I assume to be days or weeks versus months) so that it CAN be accessed months later if we can get the appropriate authorites to request such information (otherwise that more detailed additional information would get erased after the 13 month period  that RogersMaude noted elapsed). Ideally the Rogers person saving such information would (a) not have access to see such messages and (b) not even know if there were any during that time period.

I would just like to avoid a situation where there are so many rules and system limitations conspire to prevent something useful eventually happening and therefore someone getting away with what they should not have gotten away with. I'd also like the privacy laws to be respected.

barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor

If your lawyer isn't way ahead of you on this one already would it not be wise to talk to a different lawyer . Smiley Wink

Isn't the person  who did the rear ending  automatically at fault and guilty just from the very nature of the accident  ? Proving said person drunk or distracted isn't really going to make that person any more guilty of not being in proper care and control of their vehicle is it?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Sarnia wrote:

We have a car accident situation in which we strongly suspect the other driver who caused the collision to have either or both been drinking and driving (the police officer would not perform a breathalyzer test despite being told of the smell of alcohol on the other driver's breath) and/or possibly texting (since there was no noise of screeching of brakes before her being hit from behind while stopped at the red light).

That's unusual. Was the perp a prominent politician?

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Sarnia
I've Been Here Awhile

We hope to be able to obtain a copy of whatever the police documented about what my partner told the police. We hope to also be able to see what the other driver told police but we don't know if we'll be able to. If the whatever we can see is suggestive of a nothing noteworthy sort of accident and the police are not open to ammendments, I figure we best attempt to contact the crown attorney proactively and try to given them relevant missing details and IDEALLY be able to tell them that cell text message records around that time MAY well be available for the asking. I'd like to avoid what we suspect to be VERY good evidence ending up in the digital waste basket and potentially fairly soon (my guess for now).

barndoor
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Your lawyer should be able to address every one of those issues as to timing and availability. You're just wasting your time here.  Been there unfortunately  .  Smiley Wink

xnika
I'm Here A Lot

There're many android data backup apps could transfer data from your phone to computer.

i happen to know an app works great, more:

how to transfer android text messages to computer

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 14 in conversation