cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting copy of text message history

wlooghost
I've Been Here Awhile

Where there are two people on the same Rogers account, with different cell phones and numbers, is it possible to get a copy of the other user's text message history?  Will Rogers provide that information?  Does anyone know?  Thanks.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Getting copy of text message history

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Even if you are the account owner as a whole, and the other text is just a family members..

Generally.. NO.  Its a breach of privacy, etc.  I dont thing generally you can even get a list of your own.
Usually the only instances where they do, is upon court order for an investigation, etc.

You can call in an ask, but i dont think that you will likely get it.. sorry 😞

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Even if you are the account owner as a whole, and the other text is just a family members..

Generally.. NO.  Its a breach of privacy, etc.  I dont thing generally you can even get a list of your own.
Usually the only instances where they do, is upon court order for an investigation, etc.

You can call in an ask, but i dont think that you will likely get it.. sorry 😞

wlooghost
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks.  That is what my gut tells me too, but I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this before. 

wlooghost
I've Been Here Awhile

Can text message history be viewed on the cell phone itself?  a BB Z10?

Only if that 'session' has not been deleted/closed.  Once its closed.. its gone.

(i have an iphone mind you, but i just never close those message threads.. then can ALWAYS reference back to old texts, etc).

wlooghost
I've Been Here Awhile

not looking promising!  But thanks for your replies.

grandpajim
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

The short answer is No.

Rogers does not keep a log of SMS (text) content. it is a violation of privacy laws.
It may be possible with a court order but I don't believe the messages are saved on the server so even with a court order it is unlikely. A court order likely would only grant access to the SMS history on the phone.

Quantumk2
I've Been Here Awhile
Just the government can access your files. All of them, anytime...

wa2
I've Been Around

I am currently in a court case and I need to retreive a text conversation between myself and the person I am taking to court. Is there any way I can get this text history?

***Edited Labels***

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

Does your phone not keep all texting, or do you delete it? Or do texts automatically get deleted after a certain time? I don't text a lot and and all the ones I haven't deleted are still there.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Good afternoon @wa2 ,

Welcome to the Forums and Thank you for your post!

Unfortunately, the information pertinent to text messages is difficult to obtain. Therefore, even our customer service representatives do not have access to it.

If you need the information as evidence in a court case, there is a way for you to obtain a copy of the source numbers. This means that you may not necessarely get the content of the text messages received, however you will get the details of the correspondence with time and phone number.

• A court order is normally required to get the detailed records. 
  • Source numbers can be provided for 13 months historically.
  • Your lawyer can submit a written request to our legal department, in order to obtain the text message history, within 30 to 60 days.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Is it possible to log into my rogers account and see the numbers I have sent and received texts from?

***Edited Labels***

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Text tracking isnt something that is really done at all.

Generally, to have anything more than just the CHARGES for calls, LD, etc.. show up on your bill, you need to enable DETAILED BILLING (which is free and a rogers rep can turn on for you).

But that doesnt show anything with texting, etc.

I beleive the raw data of that IS recorded on the rogers side somewhere (by all carriers) but its not user accessible in any way... one of those things where its only pulled under a specific court order sort of thing.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Jamie2 wrote:

Is it possible to log into my rogers account and see the numbers I have sent and received texts from?

***Edited Labels***

With PayGo I used to be able to see my call transaction history for the last month. Starting with the My Rogers facelift today, I don't see that anymore. I hope it's just an oversight by the "renovators" and will get fixed.

Calls, yes, but text?

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

My PayGo history showed calls at 35 cents and texts at 25 cents, identified as SMS. I'd post an example with the numbers x'ed out, but with the new changes, my account doesn't show it anymore.

amy2000
I've Been Here Awhile

I am looking for my text message history that included messages and pictures that I had with one of my best friends this past year, who has unfortunately passed away.  I wanted to use them to add to a scrapbook about her.  I didn't delete them, as I keep all of my text messages but I no longer have my phone and have a new one.  I have my old SIM card though, just not a compatible device.  Is there a way you can assist me with this? I no longer have access to Rogers One Number and they were no longer showing up on my computer either even while I had Rogers One Number.  Any help would be REALLY appreciated.  They were really special messages we sent each other and I want to hold on to them.

Good day @amy2000,

Thank you for your post!

We are very sorry for your loss. We certainly want to help you with getting those pictures back!

If you are currently using a new phone and you do not have a SIM card in your old device but you still physically have it, it is not a problem. I could think of two methods :

First of all, use a USB cable to connect your device to a computer or laptop.Make sure that the pictures, received by text messages, are saved to your device and upload them to your computer.You will then have the ability to print them out or send them via email or text message again through Rogers One Number!

The second method would be to turn the phone on, and connect it to a Wi-Fi network.

If you do not have access to one, you can use your current smartphone as a Hotspot.  

Try saving the pictures in question to your phone (as opposed to in the text messaging history).

Once you have access to the Internet, you will have the ability to send them by email. When they become email attachments, you can upload them, from your email inbox, on your actual phone or on a computer/laptop!

If, unfortunately, you do not have that device anymore you will most likely not have the ability to extract your pictures.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

Unfortunately.. if you dont have the old device..... your pretty much out of luck 😞
The phone itself, is generally the only thing which STORES the messages.
The sim card, does not store them.

Sorry for your loss. 😞

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

My old Nokia 2610 phone stored history and contacts in its own memory, or optionally on the SIM card.  When I got the new LG phone, I moved the SIM card to it, but found my contacts and history was missing. So I put it back in the Nokia and saved everything I could to the SIM card.

Most newer devices, WONT save to the sim card.. or if they can, you specifically have to tell it to save there.

But as you said @OLDYELLR, its only number/contacts.  Wont save any other data related to those contacts (like texts, call history, etc)

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 30 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 14 in conversation