cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a Cell Phone. Have some questions. New to the game.

BeerHunter125
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

Intrigued with the voice to text app's as they could do away with my DayTimer for scheduling , notes and phone book.

Not overly interested in accessing the internet and never use social networking.

Questions:

Internet connectivity : Data plan I'm looking at is 500 MB data. If I connect to the internet through a WiFi spot (say at home) and download 600MB,have I exceeded my limit?

Voice to Text: Does this require internet access? Confused about the Google Voice.

What exactly is BlueTooth and how owuld it work?

Have a couple of phones in mind selected from reviews I read/watched:

Galaxy Nexus

Motorola Razr

In your opinion , which would be the better..or an alternate I could look at?

Txs

******* Edit labels ********

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Getting a Cell Phone. Have some questions. New to the game.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
if you connect to wifi, then you will not be going through your providers 500 mb bucket of data. but you shuold also check if your provider of the wifi has any imposed limits and keep them inmind when downloading too

WiseD
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@BeerHunter125 wrote:

Questions:

Internet connectivity : Data plan I'm looking at is 500 MB data. If I connect to the internet through a WiFi spot (say at home) and download 600MB,have I exceeded my limit?

As was said, Wifi does not go against your data plan, so no you did not exceed.

@BeerHunter125 wrote:

What exactly is BlueTooth and how owuld it work?

Bluetooth allows you to wireless connect your phone with an earpiece or car speaker to allow you to make/recieve calls (and more depending on the device you have). This allows you to use the device without having to hold it to your ear (ie. when driving).

@BeerHunter125 wrote:

Have a couple of phones in mind selected from reviews I read/watched:

Galaxy Nexus

Motorola Razr

In your opinion , which would be the better..or an alternate I could look at?

Really the choice of device is different for everyone. Each device has its own unique feel and size that one may find more comfortable then another. Putting that aside the Nexus line of devices have typically been the leading devices in the Android market because they are the first devices to get new updates (ie. Android 4.0 aka IceCream Sandwhich). The thing I always suggest is to go into a Rogers store and try each device. There isn't always a working model on display but it will at least give you a chance to judge the feel, size and weight of the device.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

mbazdell
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Keep in mind, virtually all voice to text apps will use your data. So if you're driving, you need to have data turned on. These things basically record your voice, send it off to a server somewhere where it's process, and the returned text is sent to your phone. How much data? Hard to say really. Probably not enough to worry about if you have 500mb.

Topic Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation