Get It In Writing...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Get It In Writing...

Just a heads up when Rogers offers you a deal get it in writing.  We were going to cancel our internet a couple of weeks ago, I was transferred to Customer Relations they offered the 300GB Hi-Speed Express and free modem rental.  A few days later I gave them the reference number confirmed the details and switched internet packages. After a couple minutes of testing I was excited that the download speed was faster than advertised, I didn't want to get overcharged(I found out shortly afterwards It was just "Rogers Speed Boost" manipulating the speed test) so I called Rogers told them and asked again for the details of the packaged I just switched to. They told me the price mentioned before and that internet speed irrelevant to our monthly bill.

Got the bill today and it was not the monthly price they offered me. I called Rogers today I now have until the 18th of this month before were locked in to a 1 year contract.  The only reason we decided to stay was because of the price they offered.  So if they offer you a deal get it in writing, not sure if they will send an you an email but get something because the phone recordings they take aren't enough.

****Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Get It In Writing...

You are so correct. I too recently negotiated a retention deal but what appeared on the next bill was not what was promised by the agent. Numerous phone calls and an escalation to the Office of the President finally resolved the issue. In my case though, it was the original phone recording which proved that the agent had mislead me in what he had promised, and the Office of the President came through with some additional discounts. I did ask for an email confirmation of the original promise though, but did not receive it. I can only conclude that they tried to pull a fast one on me!

I Plan to Stick Around

It turns out I wasn't getting the correct download speed either, called again CR rectified the situation.  After talking to Technical

Support I need to swap the modem and if that doesn't work they are going to send a technician.

I'm a Senior Advisor

If you have to swap the modem, I assume you have the D2 modem? Did the tech tell you how horrible the D3 modems are? I did not think so!!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you are not on a d3 modem, they may not be able to give you these new plans. That could be where part of its from. IHR can attest, that the modem really doesn't effect speeds that much or bandwidth at all, but Rogers has descided that this is the way they want to do it so we are stuck with the d3 gateways if we want these plans.

While I wouldn't doubt a good part of it is the reps misrepresenting things, it wouldn't be the first time.

Also I have seen, Rogers uses a few 3rd party companies for promotions. When people have called back into Rogers, the regular reps are not bale to give these same deals. I think some of these deals are only accessible by these 3rd party companies to apply, so it's more of a you have to do it THEN with them sort of thing. No pressure there 😛

I don't know about the promises in writing, but whatever your accounts email is set up with, you should get an email with the changes, what the changes to the bill should be. I have got one for every change in the last year or so. This is a good way to semi-check before the real bill comes in.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have the Cisco DPC3825 more than enough for the 18Mbps that i'm supposed to be getting(right now only getting 12Mbps).  It's not that bad imo built in wireless is a plus.  Tomorrow I'm going to swap it for another one(same model) hopefully that fixes the situation if not i'll have to schedule a technician.

Edit:
I was offered a discount on my current bill will it update in MyRogers or will I have to wait for the next bill?

I'm a Senior Advisor

@babbar wrote:

It's not that bad imo built in wireless is a plus.  

The built is wireless on the D3 modems is not a plus at all. It is total garbage. Many need to have the modem placed in bridge mode in order to use their own router. Why do you think your speed is so bad? Swapping it out for another one of the same model is not going to do a thing. You'll just get another useless D3 modem. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

IHR is correct here. You would find the speeds especially through the wireless lower just kissing the wireless on it. If you do have your own stand alone router, putting the gateway in bridged mode and using it, should increase yours some.
You might see it as a credit on my Rogers (I know my Rogers home monitoring did) but if not you may have to wait till the billing cycle to see it

I Plan to Stick Around

I was advised by Technical Support that swapping the modem might fix the problem, I'm going to try that first before calling in for an appointment.  Also for clarification I was/am using a wired connection when I was testing internet speed. 

I'm  kind of using the method you guys are talking about I am currently using my D-Link 615 as a wireless access point/switch but in Router Mode. My main PC and secondary are connected to the Modem directly, I use the gigabit ports a lot and the 615 isn't capable.  The Modem is on the 2nd floor and the D-Link is on the 1st floor so I could get a better wireless connection to PC's in the basement and a wired connection to a streaming device.   I don't really want to relocate the Modem or replace Ethernet cables because cable management/wiring is already set.

I will try it later with another spare router though and will post back with results. Also will the ports on the Modem still get internet when I switch it to Bridged Only Mode?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

no they wont 😞   Your setup SHOULD still work though.
That is the setup i am currently using, and i am pulling pretty much the right speed for the package.