cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S4 shows LTE connection but no bars, will not auto connect to HSPA, no data and no calls

JoeGua
I've Been Here Awhile

Samsung Galaxy S4

Android 

When in mode GSM/HSPA/LTE (auto connect) my Samsung Galaxy S4 will show that it is connected to LTE with one or two bars, gradually the bars will drop away over the period of about an hour or two, my LTE connection will eventually show zero bars and I will not be able to send/receive calls or use data. Restarting the phone sometimes works (again only for another hour or two) and sometimes doesn't help at all.

Manually switching to GSM/HSPA (auto connect) will give me a full 4G signal in the same location. For some reason when my LTE reception drops down, the antenna firmware freezes and it is not able to switch to HSPA. I've put a bandaid on the problem by keeing my phone in GSM/HSPA (auto connect) mode. But the speed is much slower than LTE and since I'm paying for LTE speeds I'm feeling pretty cheated. 

When I contacted Rogers support via chat they informed me that there was nothing they could do since my warranty was up and the tech suggested that I install a custom ROM to see if that fixes the issue. I wasn't comfortable with jailbreaking my phone so I just lived with it. Recently upgrading to 5.0.1 seemed to fix the issue for a few days but it has come back.

It's such a specific problem that I've had trouble figuring out how to keyword it to search on google for others with the same problem. 

Please help. 

Thanks! 

**Edited Labels**

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Galaxy S4 shows LTE connection but no bars, will not auto connect to HSPA, no data and no calls

RogersArthur
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @JoeGua,

Thank you for your post and Welcome to the forums! Smiley Happy

So far I understand GSM/HSPA/LTE mode is not working properly on your Samsung Galaxy S4. Has it ever worked before? Did you try pulling the battery? Although the GSM/HSPA/LTE mode works for an hour after powering off/on the device. It could still possibly be an issue the device or SIM card. You could either try swapping the SIM card for a new one or preform a back-up and factory data reset on the Samsung Galaxy S4 device.

Hope you find this helpful,
RogersArthur

Re: Galaxy S4 shows LTE connection but no bars, will not auto connect to HSPA, no data and no calls

JoeGua
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the quick reply!  

I've pulled the battery, removed the SD card, cleaned the terminals on the sim card and slot, wiped the cache partition and uninstalled any apps that were installed in the days before the problem started. It was working fine for over a year, just started a couple months ago. 

A factory reset will be my last resort but I recall from the one time I was able to find a forum post similar to the probelm I described they said that a factory reset did not fix the issue.

Someone suggested flashing the modem firmware but I'm kind of weary to go mucking around in that stuff as I have only a novice understanding. And as I understand it the modem is flashed whenever there is a system wide firmware upgrade anyways. 

I guess I'll try ordering a new sim card from rogers for $10 and see if that helps, is there a way to get one for free if I suspect mine is malfunctioning?

Is there any reason other than NFC pay that I would want to upgrade to the Rogers suretap Multi SIM Card or is the regular LTE SIM pretty much the same otherwise? 

Hi @JoeGua,

Thank you for your feedback,

The only way to determine the SIM card is malfunctioning is to test the SIM in another Rogers device. Seeing how the LTE starts to fail after an hour or so, I'd suggest a Rogers device from a friend or relative's that don't mind spending an hour with you Smiley Happy. If it turns out to be the SIM card just let us know and we'll have a member of our @CommunityHelps team reach out to you via Private Message. As for doing a back-up factory reset/restore, the reason this would be recommended is because it fixes up to 90% of any smartphone hardware or software issues.

Let us know what happens, 

RogersArthur

JoeGua
I've Been Here Awhile

I will test out my SIM card in my wife's phone; we have identical phones purchased together and she's never had an issues with hers. 

If it's not the SIM I guess I'll bite the bullet and perform a factory reset. 

Thanks for you help!

Hai @JoeGua
😄 😄 😄

Factory Reset will definitely take out any software issues (assuming the software issue was caused by app or glitches)

but! there is something I want to add ~ another piece to troubleshooting.

Depending on your phone and how long it has been used for, your antenna might just be dying out. (Common with newer phones, antenna starts to corrode overtime just by usage.)
Your wife's phone may be fine just by comparing usage of her's vs yours. You may be a heavy user in comparison. So your phone is "burning out" faster.

Before you say anything, yeah, old Nokia phones would have never had this, I love the old tech, plus extra antenna that poped out! haha.

But this is speculation, as @RogersArthur said, SIM would be the first test (it really could just be that, more likely). Factory Reset (Resets any software issue). Repair (If all fails, and ends up being antenna issue).

If you like new tech 😉 good excuse for an upgrade... otherwise you are on the right track for troubleshooting! 😄

Edit:

Oh, the NFC sim card is mainly meant for the SureTap (or other third-party / banking apps) for payment and secure transaction.

If you do get NFC card and not use it, it will still function as an LTE Sim card. (That's what I have).

If you get the SureTap NFC compatible Sim Card, you are will just set yourself to be able to use the apps that need it. If you ever wanted to use SureTap Wallet, GoogleWallet (New version will support NFC once google launches it), and national banks, like TD, Scotia, RBC etc... sort of apps.

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 3 in conversation