Galaxy S4 Screen Cracks for no reason

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Galaxy S4 Screen Cracks for no reason

I find this thread very interesting, mostly because of the huge amount of Samsung Galaxy owners out there.  I think this is a case of doing research before purchasing a product as expensive as a smart phone.  Rule #1, don't fall for the marketing hype.  Much like Apple, Samsung spends hundreds of millions on marketing so people by their products, mostly because they are the only ones they have ever heard of.  A little research prior to purchase would point out that there are potential issues with the Galaxy line of products, almost every single review I have read says that they feel like they are light and cheap feeling, not solid at all.  If the frame and foundation of the phone isn't solid then the chances of a screen cracking is much more likely.  You wouldn't buy a home if someone told you that the founation wasn't solid enough to suport the structure would you?

I own the HTC one and it is a very solid built phone, it's been praised by many reviews for the solid build quality and was named smart phone of the year as well as gadget of the year by several publications.  Why isn't this the best selling Android phone then? It's because of marketing, people tend to buy what they have heard of before and what the person at the store suggests and the S4 is an easy sell for a sales person.  

My HTC ONE has been dropped more times than I care to remember, including dropping it down the tile stairs in my home the day I got it (almost cried).  I have dropped it enough times to shatter the plastic case that it's in yet have suffered NO screen damage because it's a solidly built phone. Solid aluminum back keeps it rigid which stops the phone from flexing and cracking the screen. Yes it could shatter if dropped on a hard rough surface face down but less likely in other situations.  Mine personally has dropped face down from 4 feet on to a smooth tile floor and survived.

The moral of the story?  Don't buy something just because it's what everyone else has, do some research and make an educated decision when looking at a product worth $600+ (even if most of the price is being subsidised by someone else), there are plenty of smart phones out there with much better build quality than the Galaxy line.

I get several calls per week for screen repairs on phones, 90% are for either a Samsung Galaxy or an iPhone

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Nerds2You

Agreed! People need to research before buying BUT not everyone has the time to research on getting a phone. Remember people damage their phones or phones break or get stolen so they go to the store and get a new one or upgrade. They will get one if it's on sale or something.

The HTC One is a beautiful and amazing phone. I won't lie i owned it for a while. Sold it when i got my Galaxy Note 3. The Note 3 has survived every single drop and the LCD still lives without any issues. Never heard of any LCD cracks or issues with any other Galaxy as much as the S4. The issues is the LCD, not the glass. The LCD manufacturer should do something about it ans so should Samsung as they put it into their phones.

Samsung never helped out anyone with this issue and still says its not a hug problem when it is. Sadly we won't win at all on this :(.

Exactly! Moral of the story is search the device you want and make sure you know what your buying before paying $600+ for it or go on a contract.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I got the same thing. Phone was in my pocket,took it out to text placed it back into my pocket and ten mins later looked at my phone and the screen cracked on the inside.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello jenw_72

Most likely the LCD cracked like it did with mine & everyone else that had this issue. I am starting to think the LCD they used on the S4 has made poorly & Samsung never tested it to see if anything would happen. I have seen so many people & sites complaining about this & Samsung never once offered help ( Only offered it to made 5 people but not others).
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I used to own an S4 and will NEVER buy another Samdung phone again.  My screen didn't crack in my pocket, I accidently dropped it  and choose to replace the glass, digitizer and lcd screen.  Average price I got was in the $300 range, . . . Even overpriced iphones cost less.  You would think with the economies of scale that SamDung has on their phones, they should be cheaper but Samdung chooses to gouge us.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello samsvoc

It seems the S4 was not built properly the way they claimed it was. Thus why the LCD cracks easily & has major issues. Some will say they do not have issues but most do have issues tho.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Do you have some personal involvement in this issue? I have a Galaxy mega, which has been dropped, and otherwise abused. I have no respect for these devices, and yet, I've had no real problems with mine. My wife, on the other hand, treats her s4 like a baby, keeping it in a case, and has never carried it in a back pocket. Yet, lo and behold, her screen is cracked! You talk as though Samsung couldn't possibly make a mistake! It has to be the user's fault??  You don't know these people. Quit judging them.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello kronixx

I agree with u. I have had many people judge me and tell me it was my fault and even Samsung did when i reported it to them via Facebook and phone call. They told me its not possible. Hold and behold thousands had this exact issue and yet Samsung and others blame the users as they have nothing better to do.

I would ignore them if possible to be honest. If your wife has the device protection with Rogers, i suggest she contact them and pay the $130 and get a new one or upgrade. The screen can be replaced aka LCD but can be a bit costly.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@kronixx 

Samsung makes decent phones but when I dropped my S4, the screen shattered to pieces. Wasn't too happy but what made it worse, was the price to replace the LCD assembly with oem parts, over $300. That's like half the price of the phone. The S4 is my last Samsung, period. Loving my LG G2.😙

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello samsvoc

I agree. My Note 3 is still in one piece even tho i have dropped it a few times when I never had the case on it. Not even one scratch either lol. The S4 is known for the LCD and Glass to break easily tho.

The problem is that when stuff like this happen, they never took responsibility to get the customer a free replacement or get the phone fix for free. They wanted our money or go get a new phone. Manufacturers do this Sadly.