Galaxy S4 Screen Cracks for no reason

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Galaxy S4 Screen Cracks for no reason

Switched from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S4 about 1-1/2 weeks ago.  Bought a protective case for the S4 before leaving the Rogers store, so it was never out of the case.  The phone was either in my purse, my back pocket, or on a desk; it was never dropped, bumped, etc.  Six days after I got the phone I noticed a crack in the upper corner of the screen.  Took it back to the Rogers store and asked the rep if this was maybe a known problem, since it seems so unusual that a phone with so called "Gorilla Glass" would crack so easily. Rogers rep said no it was not a known problem, and that the only thing I could do is contact Samsung Canada.  Anyone who has ever dealt with Samsung customer service probably knows how that went.  Basically I am out of luck as they don't cover physical damage to their phones.  A little research on the net indicated that this is in fact a pretty common problem with the whole Galaxy line-up.  The cracks always tend to appear in the corner and it's been suggested by some that it's a design flaw in the phone.  Anyone considering a switch to this line may want to rethink it.

**Edited for content**

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Galaxy S4 Screen Cracks for no reason

My experience with samsung, was good.. but it was with my FRIDGE. 🙂  Their phones, i have heard a whole other story with..

Trying not to sound RUDE here.. but i would keep it out of your back pocket.
Depending on how tight your pants are, etc (this is why the above comment), keeping it there, could put some undue pressure on the phone, while not direct impact damage, could help lend to something like this..

Ever leave a piece of foded up paper in your pocket for a while.. it comes out curved slightly sometimes.

While it may not be the CAUSE of this issue in specific.. always good to be cautious 🙂

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello prenticeja

If you search on Samsung Canada Facebook page, you will see many had this issue. Samsung never replaced it for free or even bother fixing it unless you paid to get it fixed. The Rogers store will just send it into repair & it will cost you money to repair it. It wont be free as its not covered under the warranty. My first S4 the LCD cracked & Samsung never cared to even look at it. I contacted Rogers & seeing as i pay $7.99 a month from Rogers for the Handset protection extra warranty, i paid $125+ tax & got a new S4 sent to me the next day. I sent mine back & that is all. I would recommend you doing this as well.

Also its never a good idea to leave it in your back pocket. It can always get damage any way like that.
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I just had the same problem this morning. Basically I just pressed the home button and the crack formed on the left side of it. The glass is broken and not the digitizer behind it. This has to be a design flaw. I contacted Samsung and they are absolutely ridiculous saying that I used excessive force when I pressed the button. I told them I must be SuperMan to break the Gorilla glass. The supervisor would not even give me a manager to speak to as per his words "Samsung managers don't talk to customers they just manage the floor." I am livid that they will not own up to this nor will Rogers assist me. Why should we have to pay more money for a flaw! This is outrageous.

I have filled out the Voice of the Customer form on the Samsung website and are waiting for someone from their executive team to contact me. I have been all over social media of this.

Can someone from Rogers help us out here?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello rsabiniano

Sadly the warranty does NOT cover any phisical damage such as the screen cracking or dents or cracked glass due to a human doing it. It the phone cracked it self then it would be covered. Rogers & Samsung will just tell you to pay for the glass to be fixed. Unless you are pay $7.99 like i said on my above post & get a new S4 for 125+ tax threw Rogers. This has to be claimed with their insurance tho & you must have that add on for it to work.

Sadly Samsung is not seeing this as a design flaw but more as a user fault which is not true. The problem is that Rogers can NOT fix the phone for free or give you a new one for free as the glass is not covered in the warranty. You can read that in the little booklets the phone comes with.

All in all, the ONLY way you will get Rogers or Samsung to fix it for free, is to prove that you never damaged it. Seeing as you pressed the home button even tho lightly, it can still cause a crack if the phone is a lemon. Rogers does NOT control if the phones are lemos or not.

On my first S4 my LCD cracked somehow. Contacted Samsung & they told me its not a flaw but its a user ends fault. Sent a picture of it & a video at the same Voice of Customers line. They told me its not a flaw or a faulty phone. That was caused by me. Funny it never happened threw me. 2 weeks of fighting with Samsung & nothing happened. Anyways long story short i just payed $133 with taxed threw Rogers & waited for a week. Got a new S4 in the mail & sent mine back. I pay the $7.99 fee tho for the Rogers insurance. Its if you damage the phone in anyway even if the damage is not covered threw warranty, this program will charge you $125+ tax for them to send you a new S4 or a refurb. Refurbs will not be for the S4 tho as it just came out.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@prenticeja wrote:

Switched from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S4 about 1-1/2 weeks ago.  Bought a protective case for the S4 before leaving the Rogers store, so it was never out of the case.  The phone was either in my purse, my back pocket, or on a desk; it was never dropped, bumped, etc.  Six days after I got the phone I noticed a crack in the upper corner of the screen.  Took it back to the Rogers store and asked the rep if this was maybe a known problem, since it seems so unusual that a phone with so called "Gorilla Glass" would crack so easily. Rogers rep said no it was not a known problem, and that the only thing I could do is contact Samsung Canada.  Anyone who has ever dealt with Samsung customer service probably knows how that went.  Basically I am out of luck as they don't cover physical damage to their phones.  A little research on the net indicated that this is in fact a pretty common problem with the whole Galaxy line-up.  The cracks always tend to appear in the corner and it's been suggested by some that it's a design flaw in the phone.  Anyone considering a switch to this line may want to rethink it.

**Edited for content**

Truth be told this is why I dont trust HTC (taiwanese) or samsung (korean). They may be step ahead in OS sytem via android (at least until apple updates theirs) but the build quality is something else...  smh. ALL samsung products dont have a history of consistency and reliability, point blank! 2 years ago samsung was sued in a class action lawsuit regarding their LED/HDTV's. Basically lying through their marketing about the reliability and quality of the TV's. Samsung lost the lawsuit and they admitted guilt. The notice was posted in very small fine print in national newspapers like The Globe and The Star.  Now the same thing is happening with the android fones, lolz... smh. That's why I'm hesitant to go with android fones manuf. by HTC or Samsung. Cheaper and being the first with new android system is not always the best. The other thing that sucks is HTC nor Samsung have their own stores in Toronto/GTA. It's not like you can bring in the fone and get it serviced via warranty as easily as apple via the genius bar.  

Check the net... there have been various drop tests and water tests done between S4, HTC One, and Apple iphone 5. Overall Apple won hands down.

Drop test from 4ft - apple, nothing wrong just a small scratch on the corner edge. HTC One - scratched sides and back but still worked. Samsung - stopped working and back popped right off.

Droptest from 5ft - apple, again nothing wrong. Scratched on edges but worked normal. HTC One - scratched up again but this time stopped working. S4 - 1/3 of gorilla glass SHATTERED, SCRATCHED EDGES, AND BACK POPPED OFF.

Water test, fones were placed in 6inches of water and left for 30 sec. Apple iphone, still worked nothing wrong. Both HTC One and S4 STOPPED WORKING. SCREEN WENT BLANK.

Scratch test - jack knife scratched back and forth across main screen. All three passed.

Scratch test - on edges, jack knife see-sawing back and forth across edges. Apple, nothing wrong after wipe down. HTC One nothing wrong after wipe down. S4 - visible scratches stil remain after wipedown, still noticeable.

Hammer test - hammer was gently pounded on, main glass on all 3 fones for approx 10 times each. All passed.

Overal iPhone is STILL the most durable of the smart fones. Apple backs their warranties. You can go into any apple store with receipt/warranty or apple care docs if purchased and apple gives you a new fone. Cant say that for HTC or Samsung!  Truth.com!!

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Same thing with my daughter's brand new phone. Rogers will do nothing, so somewhere we have to be able to go complain about this and get Samsung to listen. Atleast Apple admitted their phone problems!
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello smsawchuk

Rogers can NOT do anything unless Samsung sees this is a actual problem and pulls all the S4s off the shelves and get customers to return them back or bring them back and get new ones. That will cost money and issues that Samsung is not willing to take.

Also talking about Apple. All the did was provide a free $10 bumper case which still had the same issue and claimed customers are holding the phone wrong. 2 different things.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

This is amazing ..I purchased a S 4 flip viewr and i did little more that tap the screen and the digitizer shatterred. This is a faulty . I've had nothing but trouble with Samsung phones starting with the S 3 ( non stop sim card issues)  .. why do i gett going back to Samsung  is beyond me ...   

**edited for content**

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Exactly the same spot!!!!   doing virtually  the same things   Screw Samsung .. !!