Galaxy S4 Screen Cracks for no reason

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Galaxy S4 Screen Cracks for no reason

Very sad situation all around  

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Spiboy1

I had the same exact issue with my first S4. Thankfully o paid $120 +tax & got a brand new S4 from Rogers. ( $7.99 insurance & this happened in may when the phone just came out).

The S-View flip case has had this issue & Samsung has not done anything about it. They claim its the users fault.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks  i sent in a claim to the insurance tonight  but I'm  travelling  through APAC  and will cost me additional 150 to ship and then return old phone. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know what you all are talking about. Only intelligent people know that Samsung devices blow Apple away in every area. I'm a power user of my S3 and S4 and haven't had 1 issue. These devices are beyond solid high end phones. I'd rather have a bad a** high end device like the Galaxy S3/S4 over any heavy piece of outdated unintelligent Apple metal any day 🙂

Android Over Apple Allday
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Its time to act & what we need to do, is to work together so that we tackle this problem the right way.

My phone has suffered the same problem - cracked LCD under the unbroken gorilla glass. I took my phone out of my pocket whilst out shopping and it wouldn't light up. It still worked, as I received a text message and heard the appropriate tone to confirm this, but the screen was 99% black with the odd pixel lit up.

The point is that under warranty, a product should be repaired, replaced or a refund given if it breaks under 'NORMAL USE'. Key words I think in this fight against Samsung. I have now paid £150 for the screen to be replaced and I would like to see that money returned to me and anyone else who has had to fork out a load of cash for this manufacturing design flaw.

Has Samsung misled the public? Advertising that the phone is built using Gorilla glass implies the phone is hard wearing & even with regular glass, the issues we've been reading about should not be happening. A little bit of background about me, I make tiny targets which are usually very thin foils and carefully machined metal parts, which are shot with ultra-intense high-powered lasers to understand the complex physics of electron transfer, ion acceleration, nuclear fusion and other such interstellar phenomenon. Some of the coatings that I have produced actually break themselves apart because the internal stress of the foil is so high. Foils that don't break themselves apart but still have high levels of internal stress are basically prepped and ready to break with the smallest force, whether it be a twist or a knock etc. This seems to ring a chord with the galaxy S4 LCDs which I believe are either not annealed sufficiently (stress relieving process) or in simpler terms are simply too fragile for use in a commercial public sector industry.

What I would like to do, is write these thoughts down in a more concise manner and then send letters to Samsung, mobile phone operators, the industry watchdog and finally the newspapers/media so that this problem can be brought to halt before more customers are caught up in this mess. What we need is a strategy. Presumably the industry watchdog should be the first to independently test these LCDs and report findings, numbers should be obtained about the number and proportion of screens being sent back for repair/replacement and a decision should be made as to legal action. Perhaps a website should be setup specifically to see this through, as a central point for all discussions, to display findings and for advice to those new to this issue. There's a lot think about, but we have to all work together to get it done.

Frank Hall
frank.hall.16906 on facebook

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Bottom line .... USER ERROR ... A phone simply doesn't break when in an empty pocket. Take pride in your smart phones and treat them with respect. How come mine or my wifes S3 or S4 hasn't cracked (with a curious 4 yr old) and they have both fallen on the concrete - with a case. People need to own up to the fact that they broke their screen due to carelessness and buy another one or go back to Apple 🙂
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello pconeill

Wrong. It's not user error with the S-view case and at some cases, the LCD was know to have issues like this. If u research it, u will see. NOW if u have it in your pocket and you hit the phone by accident, yea it may crack or break depending on how u hit it BUT if u never touched the phone and the LCD cracked, that's not users fault and u can keep saying it is but u have NO proof that this user or the other one or anyone else caused it, I do have a video of the S4 LCD crack and had sent it into Samsung, Samsung Canada. Got a reply back saying some of their devices are having issues with weak LCDs. Read below all the links & posts i have seen of people complain about the SAME THING. So you are telling me all of us & them that its our faults?

http://www.galaxys4forums.net/forum/6-galaxy-s4-general-discussion/2370-galaxy-s4-flip-view-cover-wi...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/193035-cracked-screen-defective-not-dropped.html

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2287882

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2435483

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/44811?start=0&tstart=0

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2324275

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Lol Meowmix sorry but I'm RIGHT ... Being Directly affiliated with Flextronics and being in this industry for over 14 years, Your opinion is valid ONLY because its yours, but that's about it :-). Yeah the Sview case issue happened to some ... Big deal change the case ... aside from that its ALWAYS user error when it comes to Cracked Glass. Get over it and own up to the fact that if your screen cracked you are careless and have no respect for your device ... Deal With It 🙂
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Lol every high end device has topics in forums about cracked screens - going all the way back to the Handspring Treo and original Pocket PC. Too funny If your argument is backed by posting links to other forums about cracked screens. LMAO!!
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello pconeill

I would like you to say that too all those sites i just posted. So is your opinion as its ONLY valid because its yours. You can not claim its a user ends fault without even seeing the phone or anything. All you say its our fault without any proof. Sounds like Rogers / Bell & Telus when they blame us for things they did.

Second i gave in my S4 to Samsung with the Video & they contacted me on May 23rd telling me indeed that the LCD was never cracked from me back from the case. I never send in my devices to Flextronics so your comment about this is moot towards me. I send them straight to the manufacturer. I never used Rogers warranty or Flextronics with my own devices. My Family does tho & the only time i used Rogers, is when i paid $130 to get the new S4 because i was in a rush as i was going on Vacation.

You still do not see the point tho because you claim you are " affiliated" with flextronics, you claim & say its users fault without proof or the device in your hand. When you have the device in your hand, then you can make such a claim, until then, your opinion is your own & can not claim anything at all. Funny you have no clue who i am YET you claim i do not own up to my mistakes. Hmm funny as when i damage something, i own up to it & pay the fee to fix it but with this i do not as it was clear it wasn't my fault .

You can argue all you want saying " User end fault" but its clear if you do NOT have the device in your hand to make that clame, you have nothing to say. For someone that CLAIMS they are " affeliated" with flextronics, i am sure you know you can NOT judge or make decisions without seeing & looking at the device. You know this as i do as well. I have family that works with Sony Canada, none of the make claims like you do unless they see & view the product.