Galaxy S2 LTE not receiving calls on LTE network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rezadue
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Galaxy S2 LTE not receiving calls on LTE network

I like in Kanata (Bridlewood) and got my phone from an East end store Friday night. It worked great until I got near home where signal went to zero and I could not even make voice calls.

I have spent nearly the whole weekend talking to various tech support people and going to the Rogers plus store near Bridlewood. We have changed the phone and SIM card to no avail. I have enev resorted to driving up and down the 417 to confirm the problem and I am 100% certain there is an LTE issues in the west end of Ottawa. 

I have communicated this to Rogers and I hope they are taking it seriously. Last night Rogers opened a ticket and I hope they follow it up soon. According to them there were no issues prior to me calling in though! I find this kinda disturbing as it seems there are others living in the same area suffering from the same problem.

One tech support person suggested I run my phone in GSM mode only (Edge). I played around with the modes and can report:

GSM/HSPA/LTE auto mode:   No signal

GSM/HSPA auto mode: Signal keep switching between 4G and EDGE

GSM only: Works but in EDGE mode

HPSA only: Works in 4G mode

So for now I am running my phone in HSPA only mode near Kanata.

I think in addition to the network issues with LTE in the west end of Ottawa, there is a software bug that prevents it from automatically switching out of LTE mode to a lesser network speed when GSM/HSPA/LTE auto mode is selected. I would think some baseband software update is needed too, unless the network issues are locking the phone in LTE mode.

I plan to call Rogers every day to see if there is any resolution to this frustrating problem, as they don't appear to be logging calls well if this post is any indication.

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Gee, that's a terrific suggestion from that tech guy.... running "The Fastest Network" on EDGE!!! I called tech support over a week ago & was told that I would get a call from "escalation" within 72Hrs...still waiting!
I am pretty sure that rogers is doing something, because BOTH my phone AND my Rocket Stick are bouncing all over from LTE to EDGE to NO connection at all.
Fortunately, I have not had any issues with voice, but I haven't been in the area you are talking about.
I wonder if any Bell customers, are seeing the same problems on their LTE?
OMF
I Plan to Stick Around

I drove around West and South Kanata this morning approx 140 kms altogether, including East on 417 from March Road to 416 and further South on 416 about 20 kms, back to Kanata centre on March Road, and have found only one, about 500-600 m stretch where LTE actually worked. It is on March Road starting from Richardson Side Road up to approx Carling Avenue. My ticket is still open, haven't heard back from Rogers since Thursday night. Will call tech support again and keep you posted.

rezadue
I Plan to Stick Around

I wonder if we should all share our ticket numbers so we have more ammo when we call to follow up with tech support.

databubble
I Plan to Stick Around

@rezadue wrote:
[...]

I have spent nearly the whole weekend talking to various tech support people and going to the Rogers plus store near Bridlewood. We have changed the phone and SIM card to no avail. I have enev resorted to driving up and down the 417 to confirm the problem and I am 100% certain there is an LTE issues in the west end of Ottawa. 

[...]

Not just the West of Ottawa.  I'm currently at Place du Portage in Gatineau, USING the LTE network for data, while my phone is showing flipping between "No service" and "Emergency calls" and showing 4 bars of signal strength.  At the moment I'm getting 5.2Mbps down on LTE, and 8.7Mbps up).  After a while, the phone will drop LTE and set the network mode itself to "GSM/HSPA (auto mode)....  and show a Rogers connection with 4 bars and HSPA ("4G").

And there's other places in East end where I've found problems, but I will admit that anywhere West of Pinecrest you're more likely to not have service than have it.

But we've also seen reports in this thread, and Howardforums, where people have problems in Toronto, and Vancouver (and I think I saw someone complaining about Calgary.)   So, while it's location specific, it's not localized.

mcsarang
I've Been Here Awhile

I live in Richmond Hill, Ontario near Yonge St & Hwy 7.

When I tested Samsung Galaxy SII LTE on Yonge St & Hwy 7, my phone showed LTE but I had only one bar. My speed was very slow at 3Mbps. When I tested my phone on Bayview & Hwy 7, my phone showed LTE and I have 3 bars. I was getting more than 20Mbps.

I thought it might be my phone that was a problem before testing. But obviously it is Rogers LTE network that is very unstable.  

I called Rogers and I got a strange answer from Rogers Tech. My area (Richmond Hill) is dominated by 4G network. My phone gets confused between 4G and LTE. They are working very hard to fix this problem but there was no definite answer when it will be fixed. Rogers Tech told me that this problem won't happen in Downtown Toronto and Brampton areas. 

I was also doing some speed testing while I was driving from Richmond Hill to Brampton on Hwy 407 and Hwy 410. Some area I got LTE with one bar and a very slow speed. Others I got LTE with 3 or 4 bars and a fast speed of 20-40Mbps. 

Rogers LTE is not yet reliable. I am considering whether I should sell the Galaxy S2 LTE and wait for a year or two until LTE becomes finally reliable and stable. 

I was in favour of Samsung dominating the smartphone market. But since Rogers LTE is not yet stable, I can see why APPLE has not yet installed LTE chip inside iPhone. 

Rogers.....Please fix the problem. You promised LTE in Toronto area. At least you should make that promise when all the GTA are covered under LTE.

databubble
I Plan to Stick Around

@mcsarang wrote:

I live in Richmond Hill, Ontario near Yonge St & Hwy 7.

I thought it might be my phone that was a problem before testing. But obviously it is Rogers LTE network that is very unstable.  

I called Rogers and I got a strange answer from Rogers Tech. My area (Richmond Hill) is dominated by 4G network. My phone gets confused between 4G and LTE. They are working very hard to fix this problem but there was no definite answer when it will be fixed. Rogers Tech told me that this problem won't happen in Downtown Toronto and Brampton areas. 

[...]

Rogers LTE is not yet reliable. I am considering whether I should sell the Galaxy S2 LTE and wait for a year or two until LTE becomes finally reliable and stable. 

I think the way the Rogers tech explained it is correct, that the *phone* gets confused.   Speed will vary (wildly), but when LTE is unavailable the phone should drop down to HSPA+ (or EDGE).  Voice should be unaffected by LTE vs. HSPA+.  

Having said that, we're on the bleeding edge (no pun intended) as it is.  If you want something stable...  stick to HSPA+.  Either switch to a non-LTE SIM (and keep using the GS2 LTE), or swap the phone.   At this stage, given the issues with LTE, I would think Rogers should be willing to let someone swap devices, even if it's past the initial "trial" period.

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Rezadue, I would hope that given that rogers does not use ICQ ahem.... that they have systems in place to correlate the issues being reported.
lubiya
I Plan to Stick Around

@mcsarang, I work at Downtown Toronto and that's mainly where my call receiving problem happens. So what tech support had told you is not true.

And Rogers should be well aware of this issue since I started this topic about a month ago and reported it to Rogers(went through all ticket issue and phone change process with no luck).

But apparantly there is no communication between their tech support (even though Rogers is a communication company! )

Frankly, after talking with at least 3 or 4 different tech support, I do not trust them anymore. They seem to be less knowledgable than any of us in this subject, and apparantly they don't care since with all the people reporting this problem, it is still not a known issue to them.

mcsarang
I've Been Here Awhile

@lubiya, I am shocked to hear that even in Downtown Toronto you are having problems with LTE. 

I was doing another testing while I was driving up north on Bayview. At Bayview & Hwy 7 in Richmond Hill, I was getting LTE with 3 bar and a resonable spped of around 19Mbps. Between Hwy 7 and 16th on Bayview, I was getting LTE with 1 bar and a slow speed of about 3-6Mbps. At the intersection of Bayviw and 16th, I was getting LTE with 3-4 bars and a fast speed of 30Mbps. Between 16th and Weldrick on Bayview, again I was getting LTE with 1 bar and a very slow speed of 3-6Mbps. 

Why should we purchase LTE ready data plan and LTE phone if we can not fully use LTE. I am seriously thinking about selling Galaxy S2 LTE and staying with iPhone 4S.