Galaxy S2 LTE not receiving calls on LTE network

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Galaxy S2 LTE not receiving calls on LTE network

After about 2.5 hours on the phone with 2 Customer Service reps and 3 Tech Support people, they say it is a known issue and they are working on it. I got a ticket number with a promise that they will call me back within 24 - 48 hours. In the meantime I switched my Network Mode back to "GSM only" becasue the "GSM/HSPA (Auto mode)" kept switching up to "GSM/HSPA/LTE (Auto mode", and while on the latter I couldn't use my phone.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Personally, I think it's a network issue.  I have seen almost identical issues with the rocketstick, as far as connectivity.  I have also tried with different phones, and it seems that there IS a problem with the LTE network and just maybe an issue with the software, that controls the "auto switch" from LTE to 4G etc....I have seen BOTH the SG and the rocketstick only getting Edge, for about half an hour, several times in the last few weeks.  As I jave said before, it's really odd that the signal would fluctuate so much, when you are staying in the same place...I could understand it, if you were driving or something...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I would agree this is a network issue, however a few pages back Meowmix reported the same problem with the SG, but not with the HTC Raider LTE. Also, if it was an LTE network wide issue, affecting for some reason the SG users only, all SG S2 LTE users would be complaining,which is not the case, right? Weird.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Not really OMF. A lot of users DO NOT know about the forums & such to the only people they will complain are at Rogers.

Yes i did have the same issue with my S2 LTE & NOT with my Raider. This seems to only be happening with S2 LTE phones.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hope if they don't know this one or other forum, they will pick up the phone and call Rogers Tech Support at 1-866-931-3282. No mass complaints, no priority to resolve the issue...

Highlighted

@Meowmix wrote:
Not really OMF. A lot of users DO NOT know about the forums & such to the only people they will complain are at Rogers.

Yes i did have the same issue with my S2 LTE & NOT with my Raider. This seems to only be happening with S2 LTE phones.

Well, I am not referring to the not being able to receive calls issue, that has not happened with my SG, I am commenting about the signal issue, which affects my phone as much as my rocketstick, that's why I think it's a network problem.  If only my phone was getting Edge but the rocketstick was at HSPA+, then I would be thinking it's a phone issue.

Also, in looking at the AT&T site, and XDA, there is no mention of this call problem on their network.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@OMF wrote:

After about 2.5 hours on the phone with 2 Customer Service reps and 3 Tech Support people, they say it is a known issue and they are working on it. I got a ticket number with a promise that they will call me back within 24 - 48 hours. In the meantime I switched my Network Mode back to "GSM only" becasue the "GSM/HSPA (Auto mode)" kept switching up to "GSM/HSPA/LTE (Auto mode", and while on the latter I couldn't use my phone.

Thanks for going through that for us!   I'll go through the same exercise tonight, just to help increase the priority.   If you do get a call back, please let us know what the result of it is.

I've notice the same.... the phone switching "itself" to GSM/HSPA mode...  and I was in a location last night where I could only make a call my selecing GSM-only.

Pretty sure this will require an update of the phone software to fix properly.  If they can't fix it, there will be a lot of customers wanting to trade the phone in.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

UPDATE: A tech support analyst called me this afternoon, and run some tests while my phone was on GSM/HPSA, and when on GSM/HPSA/LTE. Unfortunately he hasn't been able to fix the problem. He has mentioned that they are working on a LTE network issue in the Ottawa area. I think they will be able to fix this without changing the phone. What makes me believe this? On the night when I switched to LTE, I run a speedtest in front of Costco in Kanata with success! On my way home on 417, and since then, when on LTE, I get "Emergency calls only" or "No Service". Today is different: I haven't had "Energency Calls only", only "No service" on LTE. My network mode is back to "GSM only", so at least I can use my phone on a $120/month LTE shared family plan.

Please keep calling Tech support to maintain or increase priority.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@OMF wrote:

UPDATE: Today is different: I haven't had "Energency Calls only", only "No service" on LTE. My network mode is back to "GSM only", so at least I can use my phone on a $120/month LTE shared family plan.

Please keep calling Tech support to maintain or increase priority.

It's funny how it's so location dependent.  I tether on LTE all day at work (1 bar) and can make/receive calls no problem.  And yet there's at least a dozen spots I'm aware of where I consistently get "Emergency Calls Only" or "No Service" where if I switch to GSM, I can see Rogers signal strength of 3+ bars.

However, it's not just Ottawa network issues - I'm pretty sure this thread has complaints from each of Rogers LTE markets.

Highlighted

Well, I am still waiting for my call, that was meant to be within 72Hrs??? In some ways,it's easier to post here than wait for a tech.....
Today, AGAIN... there was NO connection from about 5:30-6:00.!! Not on the SG or,the rocket stick.....