Galaxy S2 LTE Screen Problems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Galaxy S2 LTE Screen Problems

Have had my Galaxy S2 for a few days now, and I've noticed that when the room is not well lit there are vertical lines and "blobs" on the screen.  I first noticed this on the notification pull down screen, the lines give grey images a brushed metal look.  In the dark, the lines are visible on most colours.  I have found some info on other forums, but nothing here.

Here is a forum discussion about the issue in other versions of the phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1337194

And a discussion on how to test your phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1320942

How many of you have this problem?

In my opinion when you are paying $600-$700 for high end phone (price of a 40" 1080p TV), that advertises a beautiful screen, a defect like this is unacceptable.

******* Edit labels ********

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Galaxy S2 LTE Screen Problems

i did the test and my phone failed. is it something that warranty can cover?

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I haven't actually talked to Rogers yet, so I'm not sure if they would consider this a valid warranty issue.  I wanted to see if there were others that noticed this.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Every single LTE capable S2 has this problem. It has to do with the fact that the non LTE S2's have TI OMAP 4 Graphics Processor. The OMAP 4 isn't compatible with the LTE radio, so we have a Qualcomm chip in our phone. There is a guy on XDA who says he can get the phone to display the colours accurately but doesn't think he can do anything about the screen lines. It's extremely noticable when your watching a movie preview, when the display goes dark in between scenes. Rather than showing up black, it comes up as some sort of green almost, with vertical lines covering the screen.

I too feel this is unacceptable. I only buy a phone once every 2 years. Display quality was one of the deciding factors for choosing this device. I feel like I've once again been ripped off by a massive corporation. This is a glaring problem that likely wont be fixed.

I'm stuck with a $700 device that is marketed for having an amazing display, but cannot display many dark colours even remotely accurately. I did a side by side comparison of the Bell S2 with a buddy and the difference is huge.

Don't get me wrong. I love this phone, I just wish that I would have known that the LTE S2's had completely different hardware than the non LTE S2's.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Have you spoken to Rogers or Samsung directly about this issue?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

No I haven't. Please let me know if you do, and what action was taken.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I just wanted to chime in to say I noticed it too, and now I can't unsee it. The vertical lines are the worst, I see them everywhere in moderate to low lighting, especially in the grey menu overlay. The blobs I see when I use a test image, but I don't notice as much in normal usage.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

just called samsung about this issue, they didn't wanna help and suggested me to go talk to rogers.

just realized how great customer service apple has

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I just talked to a customer rep, and they gave me a warranty case number.  I still have to go to the store I purchased the phone from and discuss warranty options.

The rep said that this is not an issue they are currently tracking, so maybe it isn't that wide spread.  I would hope that if they exchange it for a new phone it doesn't have the same screen issues.  If the reports that it's a hardware compatibility issue (design flaw) are true, then I think the issue probably exists in all phones, it's just more noticeable on some.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey,

I've actually traded two GS2 LTE phones already in the past 4 days. The first one I had, it was very obvious that there is a green-ish tint on the display, and the lines, etc. But it also had a bright dot, so I exchanged it for another one. The second one had a memory issue and kept rebooting on its own, within just one day of use. However, this one also had the same screen problem. The one I am currently using, my third one, also has the screen problem.

Since all 3 devices have had the same screen issue, I think it's safe to say that the defect exists on all Rogers GS2 LTE phones... anyone can proove me wrong if they don't have the issue. I'm so tired of visiting the store and exchanging it now cause it's just the same problem again.

Also, Xvid video playback is choppy as well. I don't know what other phone to switch to though... I've had so many problems with this.