cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S2 LTE Screen Problems

tadass
I'm Here A Lot

Have had my Galaxy S2 for a few days now, and I've noticed that when the room is not well lit there are vertical lines and "blobs" on the screen.  I first noticed this on the notification pull down screen, the lines give grey images a brushed metal look.  In the dark, the lines are visible on most colours.  I have found some info on other forums, but nothing here.

Here is a forum discussion about the issue in other versions of the phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1337194

And a discussion on how to test your phone.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1320942

How many of you have this problem?

In my opinion when you are paying $600-$700 for high end phone (price of a 40" 1080p TV), that advertises a beautiful screen, a defect like this is unacceptable.

******* Edit labels ********

84 REPLIES 84

Re: Galaxy S2 LTE Screen Problems

shaggyskunk
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Alphaq, I have seen a number of posts about this screen issue, tried the black wall paper.. .only thing on my screen were some finger prints.... The ONLY place that I can see something funky, is the background in the gallery, and I'm guessing that maybe that's meant to be there?

alphaQ
I Plan to Stick Around

@shaggyskunk

mbazdell
It is not a software issue and a reset will not fix it. What you're seeing is the after affect of the manufacturing process. Using your phone a lot with the brightness very high will cause the splotching to go away over time. Some phones are worse than others, and some will never get better. Unfortunately you can see it on an AMOLED screen is because as the colors get darker, the pixels actually start to turn off, giving true blacks. Other screens don't do this so that's why they don't have true black, or see this splotching.

milzz
I Plan to Stick Around

@shaggyskunk

It only appears in low light conditions, and it doesn't happen on black screens. The AMOLED screens will display true blacks like no other displays. What it fails at is displaying very dark greys especially in low light and screen brightness down. If the conditions are right then it's almost unbareable to watch. Where you will really notice it, is if you watch a movie trailer when they are swithcing between scenes

It's not a total deal breaker for me, but the fact that my buddy has a SGS2 on Bell who's screen does NOT have this issue at all is really dissapointing. That leads me to believe that it may not be completely the fault of the manufacturing process. There is a thread on XDA where one guy mentions that the screen calibration is WAY off and they he could fix how it displays the dark colours. He says he cannot fix the blotches. On that note, my screen actually doesn't really have the blotches, just the annoying vertical lines and bad colour reproduction on the grays.

On another note, this has been an issue facing many of the AMOLED devices, not just the Skyrocket (s2 lte).

pativets
I Plan to Stick Around

So what is your resolution to this issue? I am done exchanging my phone... I've done that 4 times already lol. And I hate that it appears that Samsung doesn't give a **bleep** about the issue at all.

pativets
I Plan to Stick Around

That's complete bs on their side lol... once again, an agent with little or no knowledge, she just wants to make you hang up.

alphaQ
I Plan to Stick Around

@pativets i guess the only option is to live with it or get another phone. 

lets just say, we paid a lot of cash to have bad looking screen in the dark Smiley Very Happy

seriously, they need to address this issue. and/or perhaps hire some more knowledgeable technical support people!

***edited for content

pativets
I Plan to Stick Around

Haha yeah. Well this is the best phone so far, for Rogers at least, and I think Samsung makes best phones performance-wise... So I think I can make some compromises lol.

alphaQ
I Plan to Stick Around

thank you Rogers_Kate for editing my content. Please see if you can contact Rogers/Samsung to deal with this issue. 

If only Rogers pay attention to their customers like the way you moderate the forums, there will be less dissatisfied customers Smiley Wink

tadass
I'm Here A Lot

I got my replacement phone yesterday.  The screen on it is much better, still has faint vertical lines, but happy to say no "blobs". I'm definitely happier with the new phone.

I noticed that there is a big difference in colour and brightness between the 2 screens though.  The replacement phone's screen is a lot brighter, even when the screens are both at the lowest setting.  When displaying the same image on both phones the colours look different as well, but I'm not sure if that is because of the brightness.  I find it strange that the phone screens seem to be calibrated so differently.

pativets
I Plan to Stick Around

Yep, the product seems to have been very poorly tested before being sent to customers.

shaggyskunk
If the screen issue is so prevalent, I would have thought that there would have been mass returns?

I purchased my Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE (i727R) in Ottawa roughly a week or so ago and I havent really noticed too many of the faults listed here. I get an extremely small amount of that "brushed" aluminium look people have been describing but that is only when the display is set to either auto brightness or a really low setting. I find myself using my phone in a very large variety of lighting conditions and the display has always remained consistent. This might be indicative of the listed problems not affecting all i727R's..or perhaps I should just consider myself one of the lucky ones hah.

- Dan

pativets
I Plan to Stick Around

There must have been, however they don't seem to be taking actions. I myself have returned three phones.

iSeeNubs
I'm Here A Lot

I'm getting this phone tomorrow and if I do end up wanting the HTC Raider can I exchange as long as my airtime is >30mins but data used?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
You can return the phone back AS LONG as you DO NOT go over 30 minutes of air time & OR 15 days. Data is not really cared of because they only care about the air time.

Ok sweet stuff thanks! My dad is getting an HTC Raider so I'll be able to test them both out, whichever one I like I'll keep. 😄

kenvin100
I've Been Here Awhile

to be completely honest, I wanted to go SG S2 as well..looks like I'll have to go HTC Raider..

This is why companies like Apple win..Im no fanboy (current iphone 3G user) but any consumer should learn to appreciate the warranty and loyalty after the sale of the product.

Completely random but besides the screen size difference, what else is different from the Raider and Galaxy S2?

Since you're on the Rogers forum I assume you meant S2 LTE. The S2 has a slightly bigger battery, NFC on the S2 and screen technology differences. You're looking at SAMOLED+ at 400x800 vs the SLCD on a qHD resolution on the Raider. Dev support and potential will be determined in the near future but that's another story. It's basically just Sense vs Touchwiz.

jaydee77ca
I Plan to Stick Around

Galaxy S2 has Gorilla Glass too.

Mobile Syrup reviewed both the Raider and Galaxy S2 LTE.

Samsung has also committed to updating the Galaxy S2 line to Ice Cream Sandwich in Q1 2012.

shaggyskunk

Apparently Samsung is aware of some screen issues. This is from Samsung's U.S. site, so not everything will apply. Here is the link

http://m.samsung.com/us/support/allQuestion.do?prd_mdl_name=SGH-I727

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats