Galaxy Note 5 Android 5.1.1 Update

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Galaxy Note 5 Android 5.1.1 Update

I thought it would be beneficial to start a new thread on this rather than hijacking the S6 thread with Note 5 issues.  I am getting conflicting information between the Rogers Mods here and Rogers Tech Support.  Just some background.  I bought the Note 5 on launch day and had no issues until the first Android update was released (sometime in September).  This update is N920W8OYA1AOI1.  Since installing that update, I began seeing various issues with my phone progressively.  I saw:

1. Lack of connectivity (lower than normal signal strength in areas I always had no issues before).

2. Duplicate text messages both sending and receiving.

3. Horrible Bluetooth performance (constant connnect / disconnect on all of my Bluetooth devices)

4. Missed calls that didn't even ring to the phone.

I contacted Rogers Small Business Tech support through chat and explained my issues.  They deemed my device defective for Bluetooth issues but also mentioned there were issues with the newest 5.1.1 update and said a fix was being tested and so wait.  They sent me a refurbished device the next day.

After spending a day or so with the replacement, the issues continued and worsened.  The odd thing was that this device was still on the release firmware and hadn't had this new 5.1.1 update applied.  There were times that I had absolutely no connectivity of any kind although the device showed it had signal.  I would go for hours missing calls and texts and not getting any sort of notification.  I contacted Rogers Tech Support again and explained the issues I was having.  They again explained that there was a bad Android release and asked for patience.  I responded that this device wasnt even on that firmware.  They sent another replacement device (this one looked to be new although it wasn't in retail packaging, perhaps factory refurbished by Samsung).

I have had no issues with this device.  All is back to normal and I can do all I once did.  I did contact Rogers Tech Support and asked what I should do about future firmware updates.  This replacement device was also running the release firmware, not the buggy update.  I was told to wait for an update from Rogers as to when this firmware would be released.  This was a few weeks ago by now.  @RogersDarrell answered a question I posed in the S6 forum and said there was no buggy update for the Note 5.  I responded that this was contrary to what Small Business Tech Support told me and asked him to confirm.  As of today I havent received an answer.

My question is this, will there be a release of new firmware on Nov 16th along with the S6 and S6 Edge?  If so, how will we know when to install this new firmware as I'm sure I will have to install the buggy firmware first.  What is being done and what should I do?

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Galaxy Note 5 Android 5.1.1 Update

Hi @phoneswapper

Thank you for your post.

As @RogersDarrell mentions, the fix in place for roll out starting November 16th is for Samsung Galaxy S6/S6 Edge.

Sounds like your replacement device is working out  well for you with no issues.

As for the update please keep an eye out on the OS Upgrade page for more information.

@RogersPrasana

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the response.  However, my main question still hasn't been answered.  Should I install the pending firmware update (N920W8OYA1AOI1) or continue to ignore the update?  Are there issues with this update or not?

I Plan to Stick Around

I would wait. I get tons of duplicate messages. I got the 64GB Note with the latest firmware installed already. There are fixes out there from Samsung. They just ignore to address the issue. We should have had a few updates from the carriers by now. They don't seem to care.
Community Manager
Community Manager

@phoneswapper

If you're currently experiencing some bugs with your Note 5 and there is s pending firmware update from Samsung on your device; please download the update and test for a few days to see if you're still experiencing any issues.

If so, please detail those issues here and we'll help trouble shoot.

RogersDarrell

I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersDarrell

I am currently having no issues with my device.  My question, that I've asked a few times now, is SHOULD I install this pending update?  Does this update have issues as mentioned by Rogers Tech Support or is it working (as mentioned by @RogersDarrell)?  Were they just confusing the two devices (Galaxy S6 and Note 5)?  This is my work device and I cant afford to have issues arise by being a beta tester.

Community Manager
Community Manager

It is always best to be running the latest firmware. In failing to do so you run the risk of subjecting your device to any security issues that may be present.

Samsung releases frequent MR's (maintenance releases). These MR's usually fix or patch any security holes along with tune up type fixes that the OM (original manufacturer) deems necessary.

Currently there are no known issues with the Note 5 on Rogers or more specifically OS build: N920W8OYA1AOI1

A quick Google of the build number is clear.

RogersDarrell

I've Been Here Awhile

I am getting dropped call, bad Bluetooth connectivity, and lost WiFi... I was told that they were Samsung issue to be fixed but nothing has changed.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

This will always be a problem with Carrier Branded phones. That's what I miss about the iPhone is that carriers aren't involved with updates. As noted the US carriers support the phones better and send out firmware updates much more frequently. Samsung sends the carriers updates like the new battery optimization settings for the Note 5, bug fixes and so on. It's up the carriers to send out the update. You can clearly see in Canada the carriers such as Rogers don't care. Will probably be 6-8 months before you see Android 6 Marshmallow when you will see TMobile in the US get it next month. Pretty sad
I've Been Here Awhile

Disheartening... I'm from America and my Note 3 with Sprint was always up to participate with whatever new Galaxy phone on the market... I've heard Rogers doesn't do well by their customers but my wife talked me into it... I had Virgin when I moved here and the service was perfect. Scared of these next two years... Thanks