Galaxy Note 4: Random Signal Loss

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Galaxy Note 4: Random Signal Loss

Hello everyone,

I am writing this to vent out my frustration with regards to my Note 4. I had this phone since it first came out and I find it to be the best one I have used so far. Couple of weeks ago, I had issues with the phone where my signal would drop and/or disconnect to the point that I cannot even make calls outside. It was very random but it was very annoying. When I am inside my house, I donn't get any data signal but WiFi is not affected. It kind of feels that I just purchased a very expensive tablet.

Finally decided to call Rogers tech support team and was advised to visit their Rogers Store to have it looked at. At first I was worried that the signal loss would not happen but lucky enough it did. I spent over an hour at the store while they process the device to have it shipped for repairs. It took so long because I had asked for a loaner phone and for some unknown reason, they couldn't enter the imei of the loaner phone they were about to give me. Going from a Note 4 to some LG device that had about an inch of screen is very frustrating but they could not process the device for repairs and was advised to go directly to Samsung. The representative told me its best to go there as I could get the phone the same day. To be honest, I think they were just trying to get rid of me.

Contacted Samsung and was advised to go to one of their authorized repair service. I did and was told that they could not fix it and that it had to be shipped for repairs. I did get a Samsung Nexus device which is not bad from what Rogers was planning to send me. I week had gone by and I got a call today to pick it up. Silly me that I did not fully check the device as it was working as it should however couple of minutes later, the random signal loss came back.

I apologize for my long note here but I am so sadden that I had to send the device back for repairs. I honestly feel like throwing it out on the highway after the store had closed before I could send it back.

Long story short, neither Rogers or Samsung are able to assist me and I had no choice but to comply to their request to send it back and wait for weeks to have it repaired.

I sure hope I am the only one affected by this.

Thank you for your time.

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Galaxy Note 4: Random Signal Loss

Hello ronpar

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your Note 4 😞

Have you tried doing a factory reset on the device to see if that will fix it? Also have you tried getting a new sim card from Rogers to see if that is what's causing it?.

Rogers can only do so much. Their stores aren't made the reps to fix the devices. Rogers requires u to give the store the device and they will send it into repair facility in which should look at it and fix it. That's as much as Rogers can do unless they can give u a discount on other device.

As for Samsung. They can send it into repair and again the same thing. They should look over it and fix the issue. It could be a issue with ur sim card causing the issue or the software on the device.

I had this issue on my Xperia Z3 and when I sent it into Sony. They repaired it and told me that one of the antennas had a issue which needed to be replaced. Maybe this is the same issue as urs?
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi Meowmix,

I appreciate your response below on behalf of Rogers.

To answer your questions below:

• Did the factory reset (numerous times).
  • Did replace the SIM card
  • Spent hours at Rogers Plus store as they tried to fix it
  • Agent then redirected me to Samsung with a false information that I would get it the same day (probably because it was so busy and it was almost closing time).

According to the repair notes, it was a PBA - BGA failure and it was replaced. I guess they should have checked it prior to shipping it back.

Anyways, I just sent the phone again for repairs and all I can do now is wait.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello ronpar

Hopefully now that you sent it back it will get repaired. It seems like either the antenna is causing the issue or a wiring inside. When you pick it up at the store, ask the store to run a test on the device. If it does it again, contact Samsung directly via Facebook or call their head office & explain ur situation & see if they can just replace your Note 4.

I know Rogers can do a advance replacement which will cost u $35 & u get another refurb Note 4. This device has been tested & works with a new battery & screen ( if needed). That may be another option to look at. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You're not the only one with Note 4 issues. All the current flagships have major issues. I've had two Note 4's and two Nexus 6's and they ALL had issues. Note 4's had Radio issues (exact same issues as you, plus call quality issues) and the Nexus 6's have screen uniformity issues.

I really doubt you'll get a working phone back from a repair. The radio is not a replaceable part.

Unless they replace the entire motherboard you will not get a working device back. I suggest you contact them and say you will not be happy if it comes back unrepaired again.

If it doesn't come back repaired I suggest forcing Rogers to do a warranty refurb swap. I was able to do this quite easily. However the new phone was in crappy condition and had the exact same issues.

I've sold my Note 4 and My Nexus 6's about a week ago. To me they are both failure devices. Pathetic that I've had two of each and all 4 exhibit problems. Massive problems.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello nexxusty

It does seem to be a issue with All device but have we all thought maybe it's the service / way we are where we live or are? Many people are complaining that they are losing service randomly and their bars are going low but it's also due to Rogers adding the the mhz on their towers, meintance and also due to weather too.

Again it's not a bad idea for the OP to send it i and see if it gets fixed or a workaround.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi all, just following up with regards to my phone. I did get it back and it is in working condition (so far). Overall, the mainboard and and the usb port which is where part of the antenna is located was replaced. I had to buy another temperred glass because they broke it but that's not an issue since the phone is working.. I'm actually typing this on my phone which is great.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello ronpar

I am glad and happy to hear that you have a working device now!! 🙂
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Glad you're good. Unfortunately for me I couldn't get satisfaction from Samsung who said the phone was "within spec" so I figured it was Rogers, what else could I think.  So I canceled and although the antenna is strong  I'm now dealing with well know Wind issues. Still, I consider myself better off and at less than half the price I was paying with Rogers.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

my note 4 has the same issues.  I will copy this and return to Rogers to sort out as it is still under warranty.